2014 Chevrolet Volt engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Volt:

2014 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Oct 232015

Car is a 2014 Volt with 1900 miles. I bought it new recently as a dealer display model with 100ish miles on it. Last night (10/22/15) on our trip to visit family and friends out of town, I was driving the car in hold mode (cruising at highway speed) and L. it had about 20 miles of charge left. Speed was approximately 65mph cruising. I suddenly get a dash indicator indicating that I am in reduced propulsion mode. The car's power is reduced, throttle input is decreased, and I am not able to accelerate as before. I move over the the slowest lane asap. The internal combustion engine was now off and I had switched to using the remaining charge. I then called onstar. They ran a diagnostic and came up with two codes (these are as detailed as my passenger could write down): 1. P0700 transmission not preforming as expected. 2. P0777 power trans? system detected malfunction with transmission control system. May affect vehicle performance including shifting behavior. Luckily we were able drive to the nearest dealer and have a family member pick us up. The dealer verified the codes, cleared them, but was unable to "reproduce" the problem. Therefore they made no change and returned the car to me. Multiple other owners have also had this problem and has not been systemically troubleshooted by Chevy as the local dealer's had no idea how to service.

- Ardmore, PA, USA

Apr 232015

My car stalled on the freeway ramp with engine warning reported on the dashboard. The issue was identified to be due to engine propulsion and transmission failure and they would have factory technician replace/rebuild all related components as a preventative maintenance/repair. Later they said that they found that the replaced part had again failed during overnight test and they were repairing the car again. I am concerned that this is a safety issue with the car stalling in the freeway and the component seems to fail easily as demonstrated by the repair that failed again in the dealers shop floor. This issue with Volt needs to be investigated before lives are lost due to improper design/component.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 202014

Volt 4-cyl

I received the Chevy Volt 2/20/14 at around 10:45 am. My partner and I had a very important meeting at 12:30 P.M. in jersey city, NJ so we left directly from the dealership in the brand new Volt, 7 miles on the odometer. At approximately 12:00 P.M. the car alarmed with two messages: 1. engine not available and 2. propulsion power reduced. The alarms/engine failure came at the most inopportune time---while on the New Jersey turnpike in a construction zone and no available shoulder. With semi-trucks bearing down on us, we luckily made it to a construction pull off area and called on star. On star informed us the turnpike is a restricted zone so they could not send anyone, they were helpful and got in touch with the turnpike authority which sent a tow truck. While I was on the phone with on star my partner called the dealership where we got the car. They were helpful and contacted the dealership where the car would be towed"malouf Chevrolet. After waiting over 30 min for a tow truck to arrive, all the while fearing I was going to be mowed down by a semi-truck on the shoulder, the brand new Volt, my partner and I were off the turnpike. Upon arrival to malouf we were greeted by a member of their service team, he asked me how many miles were on the car. I said?66?, he asked ?6600?, I responded ?no! 66, the car only ran for a little over an hour after delivery!" we now have a loaner from malouf and have not heard anything about what caused this catastrophic failure of the brand new Chevrolet Volt.

- Sewell, NJ, USA