9.7

2015 Chevrolet Volt drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Volt:

2015 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Apr 012016

Volt

I was driving on the 880 in fremont and my car stalled. Than I was driving to work from my home in san jose on alum rock ave and car stalled before the intersection. I called the GMC helpline and towed the car to capitol Chevrolet. This happened in the first week of April. My car was the Chevrolet dealer for seven days.the invoice says that coolant was low. Few days ago my car stalled again in mountain view near rotton robbie gas station and checked the coolant and was no coolant. I bought the coolant and refilled( June) it. I am really worried that it might cause a major injury if the engine catches fire or stalls again on the freeway? please help. Dealers number where my car was fixed 408-266-4000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 302015

Volt

Friday October 30 at 1 pm pacific coast time, my Volt lost all power on the middle of the san mateo bridge. There was no shoulder and the car went from 70 miles an hour to a dead stop in about 100 ft. I had a "propulsion system failure" message on the display screen. I was nearly rear-ended by a semi, who in turn nearly turned over trying to swerve out of my lane. The semi nearly pushed another car into san francisco bay. This is a dangerous vehicle and the government should not allow it to be sold.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jul 052015

Volt

I purchased a new 2015 Volt on July 5, with a charged ev battery. I drove it 41 miles in electric mode, and then the car started using gasoline. Once it did, I experienced an issue with very limited acceleration. The car did not accelerate normally from a standstill. The display went slowly from 0 to 1 mph, then 1mph to 2mph, etc, with about 1 second interval in between. It took about 15 seconds to get to 15mph. It did so twice at two consecutive red lights, until I found a parking lot, parked the car and turned it off. Then I turned it back on and drove it again. It accelerated ok right off the parking lot the first time, but about a half mile later, the acceleration problem was back at the next traffic light for a third time. I stopped driving got the car towed back to the dealer. The 3 instances of acceleration issue all happened within the first 2.5 miles the car was driven on gasoline. There was no warning on the screen; or any diagnostic code recorded in the vehicle according to onstar. On July 6, my dealer could not reproduce the problem when they drove the car from cold. They wanted me to come in and demonstrate it. I declined, as I no longer felt safe driving the car. I got in touch with a Volt advisor and the GM executive office as this was a safety issue. On July 8, GM recommended replacing the transmission control module. The part was ordered and installed. On July 13, my dealer's service manager took the car for an extended 100 mile test drive on gasoline, and actually experienced the issue multiple times. He mentioned that switching the car to neutral and then back to drive was a successful workaround for the acceleration problem. Based on this, GM recommended replacing the drive unit. I did not think such a major repair should be necessary on a new car and was able to cancel the sales contract and purchase another Volt without this issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 022015

Volt 4-cyl

Total loss of power climbing a hill at freeway speed. The behavior was like the car had shifted itself into neutral. This then manifested itself three other times over the next 20 miles of driving.

- Pacificia, CA, USA