8.9

2017 Chevrolet Volt drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Volt:

2017 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Aug 022016

Volt

Wife was driving to work when car (with ~2500 miles on it) just shut off, luckily on a side street after crossing a busy highway. I drove to meet her and called onstar. It was in the "shift to park" mode. They connected me with the Volt support team. They determined it had somehow got into service mode and they talked me though getting it out of that. I decided to take the car directly to the dealer. It seemed fine for a few miles but it started displaying reduced propulsion power and died again about 100yds away from the dealer, after I had just pulled onto a busy highway. I tried the technique to get it out of service mode, but it did not work this time and had to call for a tow (and police detail so I wouldn't get rear-ended). The dealer repaired the car and said the problem was a short in the battery cooling system/pump.

- Newbury, MA, USA

Jul 082016

Volt

I was driving my 2 month old car with ~2300 miles on a busy highway at ~ 65 mph when suddenly the car loses power and the panel reads "shift to park". luckily, I was able to maneuver the car (steering was still in tact) with the remaining speed to the side of the highway. However, had the highway been busier or if I had been on the far left lane, I don't think I would have been able to make it and would have created a dangerous situation on the highway. On the Volt forum, others have also complained about this. The repair, though covered, took 3+ weeks at the dealership. From dealer printout "internal transmission prime notor(sic) internal failure P03af drive motor remove and replace with srta srta unit".

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA