2017 Chevrolet Volt engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Volt:

2017 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Jul 082016

I was driving my 2 month old car with ~2300 miles on a busy highway at ~ 65 mph when suddenly the car loses power and the panel reads "shift to park". luckily, I was able to maneuver the car (steering was still in tact) with the remaining speed to the side of the highway. However, had the highway been busier or if I had been on the far left lane, I don't think I would have been able to make it and would have created a dangerous situation on the highway. On the Volt forum, others have also complained about this. The repair, though covered, took 3+ weeks at the dealership. From dealer printout "internal transmission prime notor(sic) internal failure P03af drive motor remove and replace with srta srta unit".

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Apr 022016

2017 Chevrolet Volt extreme engine hazard: On 22-Mar-2016 I purchased a 2017 Chevrolet Volt premier, all safety options. Driving on freeway at 65 mph, straight driving, relatively light traffic, the engine light came on yellow and steady (emissions system service warning) but the car uncontrollably decelerated. The freeway had no shoulder due to construction. The car smelled of burning electrical insulation confirmed by the tow truck driver. The car, with less than 150 total miles, in clear weather, at twilight, 76 degrees, California at sea level, straightaway, had a sudden and near total loss of all propulsion. This caused a lack of control (obviously) in the forward direction, causing an extreme hazard on the freeway. I am an experienced driver: Make no mistake, this was a serious manufacture's error. I checked, no parking brake, the car was in drive gear, I had both electric range and over 7/8 tank of gas showing a gas range of 360 miles - and I had just driven 60 miles. There was no brake smell, as I did not need to apply the brake because the engine gave no propulsion. My hand was off the regen switch. The car had a major malfunction causing an extreme hazard, and based on the smell, possible fire hazard.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA