CarComplaints.com Notes: Considering sales numbers and data that monitors complaints-per-make, there appears to be an unusually high number of issues with the 2012 Fiat 500. Perhaps that isn't surprising -- it is the first model year of the car, and those tend to have a higher incidence rate.

Of particular concern is the number of engine and powertrain complaints submitted to NHTSA.

2012 Fiat 500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Fiat 500:

2012 Fiat 500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 132017

500

As of 01/15/2017 my 2012 Fiat 500 pop recall has still not been fixed correctly. I am currently renting a vehicle for transportation. Fiat Chrysler has not paid me one penny toward my vehicle rental. I have received random emails from Chrysler the last email was dated January 13, 2017 saying they had an updated on case #30818709. What update could they have my vehicle recall has not been fixed in a timely manner. My vehicle has not been fixed at all. The truth is there are very few mechanics in the United States of America capable of fixing a Fiat because of the unique design most mechanics don't have the proper training for this particular design of vehicle nor do they have the correct tools the vehicle is designed using a european metric system in order to bring the vehicle to safety standards Fiat mechanics need the proper training and tools! bottom line my recall has not been fixed!

Dec 262016

500

My car 3C3cffar2ct280401 2012 Fiat 500 pop 2 door hatchback has still not had the safety recall fixed Fiat Chrysler is in contempt of court because my recall has not been fixed in a timely matter!

Dec 082016

500

I had been smelling burning oil from my car while parked for a period of months after my latest oil change at the dealership. I did not see any dripping on the ground and assumed it was a sloppy oil change with residual oil burning away in the engine bay. During a normal oil change around 37,000 miles the dealer informed me the rear main seal on my Fiat 500 went out and that the repairs would be upwards of $1,000. I researched online and found out many Fiat 500S manufactured from 2012 had this issue occur at very low miles. The dealer informed me my 4 year/50,000 mile warranty had run out in June 2016 and that I must pay the costs. I ended up paying over $1,100.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 102016

500

With a low mileage (under 20K miles), the car has been in taken back to the service department for over 5 times for main seal (between engine and the transmission) leakage, engine programming recall, and repeated noise when the car is in motion that can't be identified/fixed.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 142016

500

I have recently taken care in for engine light it was, then both head lights went out again. Theyve done this going down the road at night. Now transmission and engine light came on. Was told could be torque converter clutch was stored default and cleared may come bk, or tcm or torque converter or solenoid. I am still paying for this car had little over a year now. 131,000 mile. Ive put only 42K on it. Others complain same parts/issues. This needs to be a recall issue now. I am a traveling nurse, I have to have a car to take care of my patients please. Now it sits waits go to cary nc 11/29. Diag cost me $141 to see ? is now. Just had sparks/wires replaced two weeks ago. Please help

- Henderson, NC, USA

Oct 262016

500

The parts are not available for my recall. I am not able to drive the car and Fiat does not have a solution for me. The dealer herb chambers wanted me to pay to have defective parts put in the car or they would charge me storage for having the car on their lot. I asked for a rental car free of charge to me and was denied. My car sits in my driveway and I am without a car to drive. The clutch on the car stays to the floor when I push it in to change gears. This could be very dangerous if I was on the high way trying to shift into gear. When the clutch is on the floor I could not get the car into gear while I was driving the car.

- Thompson, CT, USA

Jul 292016

• 1,760,000 miles

I can not get my headlights to shut off when I contact Fiat at 888-242-6342 they tell me that it is some kind of updating software called follow me 30. I know for fact that this vehicle did not have this software available for the 2012 that software was only used on vehicles in 2010 and Fiat didn't have 5 dealerships in the entire United States of America if they had one in 2010. The software follow me was only on foreign Fiat cars also I keep getting a light saying tire pressure monitoring is unavailable! when I call Fiat I get poor customer service I even had a lady call me a criminal for giving my whole VIN # she stated she needed to "make sure you didn't just walk by the vehicle and give a VIN # that you got from something else." I believe Fiat is hacking in to vehicles in an effort to get customers to bring the vehicles to ken graff Fiat 198 E 500 South salt lake city Utah 84111. I refuse to go back to this car dealership because they seem to be more concerned whith when and where I purchased the car and if I had a car note Fiat tried to pretend that they didnt have parts avalible and to get me to drive a loaner car. I own my car! I dont have a car note and it seems to be alot of funny business going on in regards ken graff and chysler Fiat aurbun hills refuses to help with the matter also the milegage seems to have slowed down a whole lot for example if I drive 20 miles it will only show 15. I want my car to work not be a danger to my child and myself my car now has 176,000 miles on it!

Feb 162013

500

The contact owns a 2012 Fiat 500. While driving various speeds with the accelerator pedal depressed, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate without warning. The contact also stated that a burning plastic odor emitted from the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to start. The contact mentioned that the failures recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch pedal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V302000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- West Richland, WA, USA

Aug 012012

500 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Fiat 500. When the ignition was turned to the on position, half of the instrument panel failed to illuminate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the instrument panel was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the engine revved but the vehicle failed to start. The ignition had to be turned to the off position and back on in order for the vehicle to start. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the started idle gear failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that the fuel gauge failed to register the fuel range. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel gauge failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 15.....updated 08/29/16

- Miami, FL, USA

May 032016

500

Took car in for service with 29,600 miles on it. Was told it needed new valve cover gasket, both cv boots replaced, and both transmission output seals replaced. I had already replaced one transmission output seal at 22,000 miles. Total cost $900 all out of warranty. I've already filed a complaint about having to replace the clutch. Seems there are a lot of issues with this car.

- Fairfax, CA, USA

Feb 272016

500 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Fiat 500. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician informed that the vehicle needed to be reset. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred with an abnormal sound emitting from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,488.....updated 07/05/16 the consumer stated she took the vehicle to the dealer, after receiving a recall notice regarding the transmission. However, the dealer informed her, the back up device was not working. The consumer also stated there was an issue with the suspension. It felt as though the vehicle was going to turn over. Updated 07/21/16.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 162012

500

Car suddenly stops running while just driving forward. Ignition key remains in "on" position, but all accessory/warning lights come on. This has happened 3 times, the first while car had 950 miles on it in October 1012. Car was taken to dealership service department. When I received it back I was told that they had "changed the software". the second time the car ceased running (5,414 miles) while being driven forward, I had it towed to the dealership and received it back with the information that they could not find anything wrong with it. I stopped driving the vehicle except for occasionally driving it around my quiet neighborhood to keep the battery charged up. On September 26, 2015, I decided to drive the car to a nearby target (approx. 1.5 miles from my home). The car drove there perfectly but ceased running as I drove towards home. Again I had the car towed to the service department at Fiat/alfa romeo of austin. Today Fiat customer service called me and said the service facility was not able to find anything wrong with the car and was returning the car to me again without diagnosis or repair of the problem. My case number with Fiat customer service is: 278-579-22. All three of these very frightening sudden stalls occurred on city streets. There is no unusual noise or warning, the car just suddenly stops running. I was driving straight ahead each time. The engine was not hot or were there any unusual odors or sounds. I turned on my emergency flashers, turned the ignition key to the "off" position, put the shift lever in "park" and the car immediately started again and ran without further difficulty. I was very, very lucky that I was not hit from behind as the last two incidents were in busy traffic areas. I will not drive this vehicle again.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 032015

500

My 2012 Fiat is having starter issues. Sometimes the engine just cuts off. I took the car in and they told me that all 2012 Fiat recently serviced, are having this issue. There is no fix until Chrysler creates a code for the system. I asked how long has this been going on and he said 3 months now. So basically I have to deal with my car barley starting and possibily cutting off and there is no solution. This could be dangerous and may lead to other damages. Something needs to be done.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 292015

500

The car got stuck with mud under the car. When we go it pulled out and took it to the dealer would have cost us 3000 to have it fixed. That way to much and they told there was problem with the engine now. They wouldn't work a deal on it. When driving home we noticed thry left a plate from under the sterling will and had rip the black peace that wrapes oround it.we to it to a tramission place in town where they fixed the transmissin, the car drive like a mess I just afraid to go lomg distance.

- Kennedale, TX, USA

Jul 162015

500

Engine light and transmition light keeps coming on along with other dash lights. My car also randomly died, everything would cut on but my car wouldn't turn over. We placed a new battery in it and the Fiat did the same thing so we put the old one back on and tried to jump start it, the car acted like it was going to turn over but never did. I took my Fiat to a Fiat dealership to be fixed they said it was the battery the whole time but the computer chiped was fried. The problem is the Fiat has only been back a week and occasionally the engine light and transmition and a couple more lights are still comming on. I haven't even had the car a year and I am already having major problems.

- Decatur, TX, USA

Dec 182013

500

Engine light when on with 10 K miles in my engine only 1/4 oil left, the dealer performece the oil change 3 weeks latter engine light on again. Only 1/4 oil inside, they did the (cot) consumcion oil test every 500 miles for 4 times. Answer from the manufacture "every 1 K miles I have to add 1/4 oil" now I have to check it every 1 K... not include in the guarante. If the manueal says oil change every 8 K miles how is posible 1/4 every 1 K miles I think they just clean their hands...

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 042012

500 4-cyl

My car had problems shifting gears and the high coolant temperature light went on. The warning said stop and turn car off immediately. I pulled into my driveway and had the car towed to stateline Fiat where I purchased the car. They topped off the coolant and said the car was ready to be picked up. I got in the car and it started to shake when I turned the ignition. They said it was a loose cap and tightened it. I drove back home and within 3 months the same thing happened again. The car was towed to a new local Fiat. Over the past 2 and a half years, I have had to pull off on the side of the road multiple times and have the car towed. No one can seem to find the exact issue with the car, but they keep telling me it is fixed. The bottom line is I do not feel safe driving this car. I feel my safety and the safety of other drivers is in jeopardy when this vehicle is on the road.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jan 052015

500

Car diagnosed with transmission cooler failure. Warmed car up in the morning for 5 minutes(cold morning, low below zero). Noticed after getting in the car that it was still cold inside. On the way to work after 8 miles or so and the heater still blowing cold air, the high temperature/turn of engine warning message appeared and the digital temp gauge was at max. Stopped car and had it towed to Fiat dealer for service. They diagnosed it as a transmission cooler failure. Thinking is that the engine coolant froze, damaging the transmission cooler and causing it to mix trans fluid and engine coolant. There were no warning signs this was about to happen, car acted normal previous day of driving. This happened 3000 miles past the warranty expiring.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Sep 262012

500 4-cyl

Anytime sport mode is engaged, car does not decrease in speed properly. Even with brake applied, the car lunges forward as I'm trying to slow down. When driving using sport mode, I have to stay very far away from other vehicles in case of sudden braking because the vehicle will not slow down properly. My husband drove my car in sport mode not knowing that it lunged forward when braking and wound up an inch away from someone's bumper after attempting to slow down from a speed of about 20mph. This is extremely unsafe for the driver and other's around.

- Burleson, TX, USA

Oct 242012

500 4-cyl

Since I purchased my 2012 Fiat 500 sport in September of 2012 I have had this issue. Occasionally (about 4 times a week), the car fails to start. When turning the key in the ignition, the car makes a noise as if it is going to start but winds down and loses power. I turn the key back, wait about 5 seconds and the car will normally start. This happens all year around. I contacted the holt Fiat of fort worth where the car was purchased and took it in to be looked at. They could not replicate the issue. It is very random but happens very often.

- Burleson, TX, USA