2014 Fiat 500L brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Fiat 500L:

2014 Fiat 500L Owner Comments

Nov 222014

I pulled into a parking lot at 10mph. I attempted to stop the car to park. The brake jammed and the engine revved.I repeatedly pressed on the brake and it would not go was a very small enclosed parking lot and not much space to move. I hit the parking barrier causing damage to the front end because there was no where else to go.radiator fluid poured out of the vehicle. My mother was with me in the car and witnessed this accident. She drove the car to a close auto mechanic as I was distraught. I am afraid to drive this car.

- Quincy, MA, USA

May 292014

500L 4-cyl Diesel

While stopped in traffic in the middle lane of rt. 50 E in annapolis md, I put the car into park. The car became consumed with a strong burning odor. As traffic began to move, I shifted into drive, stepped on the gas pedal and there was no response and the oil light came on briefly. Since the car had begun to roll forward, I put my foot on the brake and there was no response. I pulled the emergency brake and put the car into park and turned on the hazard lights. Traffic began to get back to speed but I was broken down in the middle lane, blocking traffic. I called the state police for assistance, and the car was eventually safely towed to the dealer, johnson Fiat of annapolis. The dealer had the car for 4 working days and said they could not find anything wrong with it, that they drove it for 60 miles and the problem could not be duplicated. The repair invoice notes " no warning lights on as of now, could not duplicate complaint from customer. Took car for multiple test drives, no sign of brake failure, not running poorly, car just has a horrible burning smell". I accepted the car and it seems to be fine although I have lost all confidence in its safety while driving it.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Mar 072014

Brake makes squeak noise when brake. (noticed within a week of purchased) tech cannot find any problem, but heard the squeak noise. Recall repaired transmission on April 15, afterward back-up camera pixel in slow motion. Stereo setting not properly, need to set radio and media every time when car starts.

- Arcadia, CA, USA

Aug 152013

This car has totally inconsistent brakes. I don't know if they are "brake-by-wire" electronics, but I'd bet so, and there probably needs to be a software upgrade. They cannot be modulated normally. They grab and slam themselves at one instant and the next are smooth and easy. Jerks you around without warning. There is just simply a flaw and the dealer says "they are all like that",and "we hear that a lot", but there is "nothing to be done".

- Dallas, TX, USA