8.7

2014 Fiat 500L engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Fiat 500L:

2014 Fiat 500L Owner Comments

Jan 102014

500L 4-cyl

Twice driving on freeway we push gas pedal down to accelerate and car does nothing, wasn't sure if it was going to stop or ?? same thing happens when we're driving and want to speed up and for example pass a car or go through an intersection. The problem has been intermittent but the longer I drive the car the more frequently it's been happening. The past couple of days a new problem: When backing up carefully when I put my foot on the brake I cannot push the brake down all the way, feels like a metal bar is blocking it. Will be leaving it at the Fiat dealership to fix this problem. The first problem seems like they can't fix it (taken it in 3 times). I was told by one of the managers at the last visit that a "go pedal" is suppose to fix the problem. Can be installed at a place in signal hill, ca for $300.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 292014

500L 4-cyl Diesel

While stopped in traffic in the middle lane of rt. 50 E in annapolis md, I put the car into park. The car became consumed with a strong burning odor. As traffic began to move, I shifted into drive, stepped on the gas pedal and there was no response and the oil light came on briefly. Since the car had begun to roll forward, I put my foot on the brake and there was no response. I pulled the emergency brake and put the car into park and turned on the hazard lights. Traffic began to get back to speed but I was broken down in the middle lane, blocking traffic. I called the state police for assistance, and the car was eventually safely towed to the dealer, johnson Fiat of annapolis. The dealer had the car for 4 working days and said they could not find anything wrong with it, that they drove it for 60 miles and the problem could not be duplicated. The repair invoice notes " no warning lights on as of now, could not duplicate complaint from customer. Took car for multiple test drives, no sign of brake failure, not running poorly, car just has a horrible burning smell". I accepted the car and it seems to be fine although I have lost all confidence in its safety while driving it.

- Annapolis, MD, USA