NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2006 Hummer H3 (Page 3 of 4)

2006 Hummer H3 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hummer H3:

2006 Hummer H3 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jan 112012

H3 5-cyl

This is the second time the blower resistor/harness has caught fire [1st time 1/11/12 2nd time 7/3/13] the orange wire going into the harness seems to over heat and melt/catch fire the last time it filled cab with smoke had stop vehicle and exit because of fire -smoke.

- Challis, ID, USA

Jun 022013

H3 5-cyl

Vehicle had heater blower harness and resistor fail and catch fire for the second time. Repaired replaced once before. This particular problem occurs due to a design defect and replacement parts do not correct the underlying problem and it will fail again. It is just a matter of time. The circuits should be fuse protected so this will not burn. Part numbers have been changed to upgrade this connection to newer design, but these parts also fail. This is a serious failure of the electrical system. In addition, the ground terminal to the chassis (by the intake filter in the engine compartment) is suspect as well. Overall this is an incredibly negligently designed circuit. One can also find numerous reported failures in related vehicles using the same parts.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Mar 072013

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, a burning odor was smelled and smoke emitted from the glove compartment. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to a safe location and extinguished the flames. The vehicle was able to be driven after the incident occurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jan 192006

H3

We have battling the problem of the sunroof leaking on our Hummer. There is drain tubes in the corners of the sunroof this water is supposed to go do these tubes then on the ground. How ever this is not the case. In most cases the water leaks down the pillars in the trucks dash compartment and soaks the carpet on both sides and the head liner. We have had it to the dealership on several accessions and they just say they were stop up but they just leak the next day like nothing has even been done. They charge 300 dollars to do this. I have the technician tell me that nothing he has done will fix this off the record..when the water is pouring in there is nothing you can do the onstar goes off and your lights on the inside go dim we have had the cpu short out due to water the blower controller both front speakers and behind the dash all the metal parts are covered in rust. When the electrical parts shorted out the wires were burnt and we were driving when this happened on one occasion and had to have it towed. We have tried everything taken it the dealership did not help. The truck is always damp inside. Then of course the smell of the carpets. I even have contacted GM and just said take to the dealership and they are gonna charge the same thing. I am scared for my wife and family to drive this truck. We will not even leave in the garage due the risk of fire. If you google this problem there is over 60K topics on this and forum after forum about it. And every is saying this. It is obvious that this is a design flaw and GM is not going to stand behind this. I think something should done about this before something very bad happens to someone in these trucks. I just want it fixed nothing else.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Dec 142012

H3

This will be the third blower motor resistor that I have had to replace. This time I am replacing the harness because it burned up so badly on two terminals. GM has yet to acknowledge this problem... I paid $26 for the resistor, and it's going to be $30 for the harness, and I save a ton on the labor because I am a mechanic, but this is a potential fire hazard. There is an air flow in this area, and can fan or start flames in this area if it occurs while driving. Very dangerous! this is my second report.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Sep 112008

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. The contact stated that after inserting the key in the ignition the vehicle failed to start. The contact mentioned that the anti-theft system would not read the key to start the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who stated a representative would contact at a later date. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 103,000.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 022012

H3 5-cyl

Blower motor for HVAC stopped working, smelled burning plastic, wiring and resistor burned up. It is located under the dash and is very easy to catch fire, there are many complaints on this with the Chevy & GM product. I think this should be a recall it is very dangerous as many items can burn up, GM is of no help with this.

- Vestal, NY, USA

Aug 032012

H3

As I was leaving work the other day, my Hummer H3 lost its A/C. as I checked it out I found that the A/C pump would turn on, but there was nothing blowing thru the vents. As I did an internet search I found a blog regarding this very problem, it seems to be an issue with a resistor and connector in the blower system. It melts and becomes useless. This is not only an inconvenience at 100 plus degrees, it is a fire hazard as well. I believe this needs to be looked into.

- Columbia , CA, USA

Jul 182009

H3 5-cyl

Wiring harness and resistor burned for the second time for the A/C blower.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jun 302012

H3 5-cyl

Burned out like many others.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Jun 012012

H3

Description of the complaint: The blower on my 2006 Hummer H3 stopped working while driving down the highway burnt plastic smell when the blower stopped. But the blower never worked again. I found that this is a huge issue for not just Hummer owners, but other GM vehicle owners. The resistor and plastic clip were melted together this resistor for the ac blower is located right under the glove compartment damage danger this issue poses. Other posts www.hummerforums.com/forum. I had to spend $325 and see GM has many problems concerning this issue alot on the truck.

- Shrewsbury, PA, USA

Mar 112012

H3 6-cyl

March 2012 - Hummer locked up and will not turn over.. towed it to dealership.. they replace key ignition all of April my Hummer will shut down.. 3 times had it jumped... found out it was not the battery.. I was driving when the Hummer locked up.. it was very scary ! 68,000 miles only ! currently at the dealership again 2 twice in less than 2 months.

- New Orleans , LA, USA

Apr 042012

H3 5-cyl

Right rear tire tps gives false and intermitten readings, can not turn radio/cd player completely off, drains battery. Dealer says system is defective and needs to be relaced at a cost of $1000.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Jan 172012

H3 5-cyl

Very very common problem with GM products and excessive problem with H3 heaters. You smell something burning in your vehicle then your heater fan starts fluctuating and ultimately stops. There are reports that the dealership will fix the burnt plug, but it won't fix the problem, it'll burn up again. Now I have no heater in January in Ohio this should be a recall !!!!!!!!!

- Lisbon, OH, USA

Nov 022011

H3

11/02/11 smell of something burning looked under dash blower resistor and plug melted together had replaced on 12/11/11 smelt burning plastic again had same problem blower resistor and plug melted again from what I understand it is a on going problem in this vehicle GM should be responsible in fixing it before there are major fire damage or a death.

- Great Bend, KS, USA

Oct 032011

H3 5-cyl

The blower on my 2006 Hummer H3 stopped working while driving down the highway and we smelled a burnt plastic smell when the blower stopped. The smell eventually went away, but the blower never worked again. I found that this is a huge issue for not just Hummer owners, but other GM vehicle owners. The resistor and plastic clip were melted together and when disconnected, fire damage was evident. This resistor for the ac blower is located right under the glove compartment and luckily nothing flammable was close to this when is blew while driving down the highway. I also have pictures of the damage and subsequent danger this issue poses. Other posts of people seeing this issue. www.hummerforums.com/forum/Hummer-H3-17/air-conditioning-problem-grrr-16020/page2/#post264883.

- Lafayette Hill, PA, USA

Nov 012011

H3

On October 30th I smelled a faint scent of something burning inside my vehicle, but could not find anything. November 1st was our first cold morning so I started my car, and had no heat. The system wasn't blowing, but the heater A/C controls were lit up. Since I am a mechanic, and have knowledge I went right to the fuse box in the engine compartment. The fuses were ok. I then went to the blower resistor pack which is located under the glove box. The orange power wire in the harness was burnt up pretty good, and the terminal molded into the harness pack was also burned up pretty good. I then went online to google this problem to see how common it was, and was surprised to see how many complaints there are about this problem, not just regarding the Hummer line, but within GM vehicles itself. I called the service tech where I have my work done, and he was very familiar with this failure.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Jul 282011

H3

As I was driving to my office from a lunch break, my A/C and ventilation stopped working, I turned the on and off dial and air never came back on, shortly after that a strong "burned" smell came from the glove box of my vehicle, I pulled over and noticed a little bit of smoke coming from underneath the glove box. I did some research on the interned and discovered it was a burned out "vent blower resistor" (ac delco part# 15-80647) I have since replaced it but it still not working. I have the burned part if ever needed, I must say I don't feel at all safe with a situation like this as it has never happened to me. I decided to include my complaint as I have seen many people with the same problems on this vehicle, a fire is eminent and should be prevented.

- Los Alamitos, CA, USA

Feb 012011

H3

A/C heater motor resistor overheated causing smoke throughout the passenger compartment on the highway this is the third replacement of this part, the wiring overheats and melts the connectors this is a very common problem on Hummer of all types. My sister owns an H3 as well and has had to replace this twice on her 2007 model H3 due to overheating an melting the connector. Is General Motors going to wait until there are numerous fatalities or vehicle fires to rectify this ? a fire in the passenger compartment while at highway speeds is dangerous to say the least

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

May 232011

H3 5-cyl

Overheated and melted resistor and wiring harness for the HVAC blower motor on a 2006 Hummer H3. This has happened to my vehicle and a friend of mine. Also many owners on the internet have had this same problem. It is so prevalent that many parts suppliers are advertising the parts for sale.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA