NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

2006 Hummer H3 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hummer H3:

2006 Hummer H3 Owner Comments

Sep 042016

The anti-theft engages randomly and prevents me from starting my car. This is not only inconvenient but could endanger my safety. There are numerous complaints listed about this defect by other H3 owners. This should be recalled. I just purchased the car less than 1 month ago.

- Coram, NY, USA

Aug 182016

2006 Hummer H3 sun roof leaks and water seeping into electrical system. Had same issue 1 year ago and had fixed. Same problem just under 1 year later. Never use sun roof is never opened or cracked but being told issue stems from debris build up which should not occur as the roof is never opened. Looking online I have found a lot of people with the same issue. Issue happens during rain whether vehicle is stationary or moving.

- Crestwood, IL, USA

Aug 082016

My vehicle will not start followed by a 10 minute lockout period. This happens every few days. Once the vehicle sits for 10 minuted it will start. This happens regardless of wether conditions, will persist intermittently anytime of day; does not have anything to due with key fob or how I enter the vehicle.

- Calumet Park, IL, USA

Aug 012016

My vehicle repeatedly leaves me stranded, due to faulty operations of the GM passlock system. Periodically, the vehicle, despite being cranked with a valid key, will turn over and then die, because the anti-theft system has disabled the fuel injectors and a flashing lock icon will display on the dash for 10 minutes. When the problem first started, waiting the 10 minutes then cranking usually worked. Now, it takes sometimes 8-9 tries to finally crank, waiting 10 minutes between each attempt, thus leaving me stranded for 1-2 hours. Once the vehicle cranks, it runs fine, but I never know when I get out of it, if it's going to work the next time. Occasionally, it will work fine for several days, then decide to quit working again. I do not believe I should have to pay for the malfunctioning of a system that I had no choice of opting into. I am willing to be responsible for whether or not my vehicle gets stolen. I did not ask for GM's protection, nor do I want or need it. I just want my vehicle to crank and drive like it's supposed to.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 242016

While the vehicle is stationary and upon entering the vehicle, the vehicle will randomly not permit you to start the vehicle. After searching online on several forums, I see that thousands upon thousands of people are having this same issue with Hummer models, not just the H3. It seems that the ignition is believing you are a burglar, and it locks you out for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes have passed, you can start the car with no problem. The only way to get around this (per GM) is to replace the ignition, but since there are so many complaints of this I believe it should be a recall instead of consumers having to pay for this flaw.

- Smethport, PA, USA

Apr 052016

When trying to start my Hummer it turns over but will not fire. After 10 minutes, fires right up. To me it seems like a security/theft problem.

- Bremen, IN, USA

Mar 242016

Onstar emergency request button, and all other onstar buttons do not transmit or receive. A verizon message announces "no phone service available." Happen at all times, in all conditions. Verizon, GM and onstar each deny its their problem.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Mar 062016

Sometimes when I go to start my car it will not start. Then I wait exactly 10 minutes and it starts right up. This has been going on for about four years now. It happens about six times a month

- Acampo, CA, USA

Jun 012015

This has been happening for months. My Hummer will not turn on then 10 to 20 minutes go by then it'll start and it's happening more frequent and taking longer to turn on. If you google "why won't my 2006 Hummer start" there's a lot of people going through the same problem. No one knows what it is!! I think this should be a recall because its not a maintence issue. Please help!! this is starting to get trouble some especially when it doesn't start and you have to go somewhere. I'm thinking about trading it in but I really don't want to because I put a lot of money in it already!!

- Hobbs, NM, USA

Dec 012015

When the car is idling, there is a strong smell of exhaust fumes coming out of the air vents. The smell dissipates when the car is in motion. The vehicle has been checked for any leaky exhaust pipes or gaskets but nothing has turned up positive.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Aug 132015

In a document dated August 2015 I received a safety recall for my Hummer H# 2006. "General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2006 model year Hummer H3. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall. We apologize for this inconvenience. However, we are concerned about your safety a D continued satisfaction with our products, " important * your vehicle is involved in GM safety recall 15042 * parts to repair your vehicle are not currently available. When parts are available, we will send you another letter asking you to contact your GM dealer to arrange a service appointment. * this service will be performed for you at no charge." To date, I have not received any correspondence from either the manufacturer nor GM. The recall letter advised me to contact you if I was not satisfied that they had done their best to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time. I certainly am not satisfied that this matter has been resolved within a reasonable time. I am afraid to drive my vehicle for fear it will burst into flames due to the problem described to me. However, I have only one vehicle and public transportation is not reliable in my area. I am beginning to wonder if the parts to repair my vehicle are ever going to be available, and further, if I will ever receive the promised second letter telling me to set up an appointment with my GM dealer to get my vehicle repaired.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 012009

There is a known issue with this vehicle leaking I noticed it when it was raining that rain would leak through the on star microphone as well as through the front the driver and passenger doors and make the carpet like a sponge: Https:// the video attached to this link shows a prime example. If you read the comments it would show many customers of been affected with the same exact model vehicle. Also this video shows another example of water leaking through the on star microphone. Https:// it is too expensive to have to pay $130 for them to diagnose a manufacturing flaw that multiple owners are going through. Please set a recall for this vehicle for them to resolve. Again it is a 2006 Hummer H3. Thanks in advance.

- Severn, MD, USA

Jan 082015

When I start the car the car is going on reverse or I am on neutral at different occasions.starter problems??

- Roseland, VA, USA

Jan 172012

H3 5-cyl

Very very common problem with GM products and excessive problem with H3 heaters. You smell something burning in your vehicle then your heater fan starts fluctuating and ultimately stops. There are reports that the dealership will fix the burnt plug, but it won't fix the problem, it'll burn up again. Now I have no heater in January in Ohio this should be a recall !!!!!!!!!

- Lisbon, OH, USA