NHTSA — Suspension Problems

2006 Hummer H3 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hummer H3:

2006 Hummer H3 Owner Comments

Sep 022016

Catastrophic failure of leafspring/rear suspension. Turning out onto road and heard a loud snap, steering went crazy, almost lost control of car. Saw similar incidents happening all over the web. Some ending in the truck flipping end over end. See common thread...bad weld in leaf spring and it snaps randomly over time at weld. Noticed someone on forums also complained with this NHTSA tracking number (10838131). Please look into this before someone gets killed!

- Canton, MA, USA

Mar 202016

On March 20, 2016 we hear a very loud bang in the rear of the Hummer.. rear main leaf spring broke off. We also have the loud bang when you put the vehicle in drive. Both are being investigated by GM engineers This vehicle should have never been sold by the dealer auto serv of tilton, nh. They will not make good on this vehicle. The vehicle at the time was literally going 15 miles per hour. Can you imagine if we were on the highway!! we have the old leaf springs home with us for proof.

- Center Conway, NH, USA

Jan 262016

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. While driving 30 mph, the front passenger side wheel began to wobble without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the driver side leaf spring fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Feb 112016

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was an abnormal loud noise coming from the vehicle. The contact stated that the vehicle began to veer to the left. The contact was able to merge to the shoulder of the road where it was discovered that the vehicle wheels had shifted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger leaf spring failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Sep 112015

I recently starting hearing a clunk or rattle in the front suspension. I took it to one shop who suggested I replace the shocks so I did. After I left the shop, I noticed the exact same issue was still there so I took it to another shop. They stated that I needed to replace the upper control arm bushing so I did. Unfortunately, neither fix solved the issue so I took it to yet another shop, ken graff in riverdale, Utah who informed me today that the issue is a front lower control arm, that is documented on the GM website. The document number is 2367563 dated 11/10/2009. The engineers knew that this was an issue but their conclusion was that the condition was caused by an external impact event that exceeded the limits of the frame design, which is a line of bs. I have never taken my Hummer 3 off road at any time and it does not even have a scratch on the paint job and it now has 92,000 miles on it. It is common sense to just provide the bushings to the customers instead of making a customer pay out the A-- because of a lack of common sense. I did contact GM who informed me that they have concluded it was caused by exceeded the limits of the frame design. A few things here I find hard to believe from the engineers, that they recommended that the frame needed to be replaced and that it was caused by a external impact which I find strange concerning they were pushing this as a off-road vehicle. If they knew about this issue why did they not recommend a recall instead of blaming the customer? they did not recommend to GM to create just the bushings instead of replacing the whole frame ( $9000 per ken graff) my conclusion is they knew of the issue and were covering their own ass, if I were to place just the bushings and if they were available my cost would be less then $500, I can accept that but exceeded the limits of the frame design hell no.

- Syracuse, UT, USA

Sep 232015

Right rear leaf spring broke just fwd of the fwd frame attachment causing rear right wheel to move 2 to 3 inches backward. Took it to Chevrolet dealer...cost appox $470 to repair. Has not been used off road.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 112014

H3 5-cyl

There was no, accident, I trade my 09 mustang in to walters Mazda, Mitsubishi, in pikeville ky, I did notice a strange noise in the tires, so I took it to have the tires rotated, and the noise got louder, so I took it to a garage to be checked, the mechanic told me my ball joints on the driver side was ready to fall out, I bought the vehicle as is, but I called the car lot and asked for a little help, since my 09 mustang was in perfect shape running and mechanical wise.and they wont help me, my wheel could have fell off and caused me to wreck, or get killed..I don't think the car fax is correct, there was no paper in the vehicle saying buy as is.I have only had it a few wks.the owner said all he had to do to the mustang was put front brakes well that only cost 20, dollars, iam will be out 500.I was told do not drive until I get this fixed..I was sold a very unsafe vehicle, and done very dirty.please help me.

- Kimper, KY, USA

Jul 252014

H3 5-cyl

Was driving 40 mph on a 2-lane northbound highway. Weather conditions were clear and sunny. A car pulled onto the highway and instead of pulling into the right lane, it pulled into my left lane. I had to press the brakes a harder than normal. At that point both rear leaf springs failed and blew apart, damaging the drive shaft and pulling the drive shaft from the transfer case. The rear axle was pushed to the very back of the vehicle, making it un-drivable. There was also some other underside damage, such as the emergency parking brake line, seals, gaskets, etc. I filed an insurance claim, however they determined the issue was due to a "mechanical failure of the General Motors vehicle." I have full coverage and none of this was covered under either collision (I was able to avoid hitting anything) or comprehensive. Repairs for all this are $4200 which are being repaired by a GM-certified mechanic at a GM dealership. I am now out $4200 and have no recourse with GM. I am the sole owner of this vehicle and have owned it since July 2005. I have maintained it in accordance with GM recommendations over the years and it was in excellent condition prior to this incident....updated 08/14/14

- Woodbridge, NJ, USA

Jun 032014

H3 5-cyl

(6-03-14) the right rear main leaf spring broke causing the rear tire to lock up and be at the most rearward position that it can be, almost rubbing the body. Then today, (7-27-14) the left rear spring done the same thing except the axle moved so far back that the driveshaft came out of the transfer case and I had to have a rollback haul it to a repair facillity. Updated 3/27/15

- Shelby, OH, USA

Dec 112012

Was driving with 50 mph and traffic stopped so I had to press the brakes a little harder. At that point both rear leaf springs failed, damaging drive shaft and pulling driveshaft from the transfer case. Repairs for all this were $2700.......updated 09-03-14 updated 09/8/2014

- Livonia, MI, USA

Dec 132009

H3 5-cyl

Brakes had to be done @ less than 32,000 miles. This was all four sets of pads and all four rotors. Early ball joint and tie rods failure (both sides) on a Hummer H 3. the first was under 50,000 miles and now the other side @ 55,000. Truck has not been abused in anyway.

- Ma, MA, USA

Aug 232008

Purchased a 2006 Hummer H3 from the seller in this complaint. I paid exactly $23,250 all cash for this vehicle. He actually drove the vehicle to New Jersey from mass. To my residence. The vehicle appeared to be in excellent condition, as it only had 14K miles when I bought it only 3-month's ago. One would hardly think of "hidden" issues at that mileage. In any event, I have had repairs to the rear and front differential, as it had a leak and the front end was out of alignment. The most disturbing thing was this seller lied to me and misrepresented the "true" or actual condition of the vehicle. Unfortunately which would surface after he left with my $23,250 in cash! I would E-mail the seller and told him he misrepresented himself and the condition of the vehicle and how he apparently abused it. More importantly, I discovered "excessive" rust underneath this vehicle. Because these conditions were not divulged to me by Mr. Johnson, I am having a hard time selling the vehicle that practically cleaned out all of my savings. He claimed this truck was garaged kept and that he did no off road riding. This apparently is totally untrue, as the car would not have as much rust as it is loaded with for a 2006! so, can you tell me what recourse, I may have as a the buyer, besides hiring a private attorney who I can't afford, as I am on permanent disability. There must I something my I can pursue under any state or federal consumer laws, especially, since the vehicle is still under warranty by General Motors.. I should also add that I am having difficulty with a local Hummer dealer "royal Hummer" in florham park, who seemed reluctant to address the many issues I am having with this Hummer! I would also appreciate if you can forward this complaint to General Motors corporation, in Michigan, as they should know I am having difficulty with dealers wanting to honor, as they should, any warranty work! I am prepared to file every complaint I could to get restitution for this apparent.

- Wharton, NJ, USA