NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2007 Hummer H3 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hummer H3:

2007 Hummer H3 Owner Comments

Feb 042016

The contact owns a 2007 Hummer H3. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle independently stopped, without the contact depressing the brake pedal. The contact crashed the vehicle into a ditch. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The failure occurred twice previously, but did not result in a crash. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was not available.

- Windsor, VA, USA

Sep 012015

Our Hummer airbag light keeps coming on. Taken it to two different shop and they reset the light and it comes backs on. The dealer says they are unaware of any problem, but I look it up on the internet and there is alot of complaints.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Mar 132013

Air bag light on. Unable to remedy on own. Dealer found codes B0092 and 23 in diagnostic. Stated needed new pps module and "needs passenger seatbelt buckel sensor and re-programming". advised that passenger air bag may not employ due to needed replacement. Cost $140 for diagnosis; and $1200 for sensor replacement. Being unable to afford this costly repair, and believing this to be a defect in the Hummer itself, we contacted GM customer service to report safety issue. They refused to replace part or take responsibility for faulty sensor. There had been no accident or reason for deployment of air bag. Sensor, for unexplained reasons, just stop working. At this time, we still have not fixed this. In the last six months, we have talked to three seperate owners of the 2007 Hummer H3, who are having the same problem, and have hit the same wall with GM. We, and the other owners, consider this to be a extreme safety issue that should be addressed, and leading to recall for faulty sensors.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Jun 262015

I was leaving out of my subdivision and my side curtain side curtain air bags deployed (both sides) without any warning. Luckily, I was able to drive the vehicle back to house. GM is not giving me the necessary information to resolve this issue.

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Jul 282014

I was driving home I was going about 50 mph when I heard a loud noise. My side curtain airbags automatically deployed. My seat belt locked up on me and caution light came on. I pulled off the road to see what happened. I was glad that no car was around because I would have wrecked. The inside oft Hummer was filled up with gun powder. I called GM and told them what happened. After about 2 days of calling they came to pick up my truck. They first asked me if I could drive it to the local dealer 25 miles away lol no my airbags are down and I could not put my seat belt on. So now I have a rental car to drive till they let me know something. I just so glad that it did not happen the day before when I was driving down 95 I could have been died if it would have gone off then. I hope GM will fix the problem.

- Laurinburg , NC, USA

Jul 012010

H3 5-cyl

My car began show the passlock disabling system light and then failing to start. After starting, it would then show the air bag warning lights for a period that might be several minutes to several days before going out again. This cycle happened at random times disabling the auto without warning and in some dangerous situations. It is a well known and publicized problem that GM has chosen to ignore. I have solved the problem by having passlock disabled and ignoring the air bag warning light with the assumption it is a false warning. These recent events have me reconsidering that action, but the cost of having the problem rectified would be more than I could afford.

- Creedmoor, NC, USA

Sep 132013

H3 5-cyl

Hit pothole on I-285 as exiting onto ramp for I-20 exit. Bump was not that severe but apparently faulty rollover sensor triggered both side airbag deployment.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Apr 152008

H3 4WD 5-cyl

My wife was driving the posted speed limit of 45 mph, when another driver turned from a cross street into her, causing a head on collision. Full frontal damage to both vehicles occurred, and the airbag in our vehicle did not deploy. The airbag in the other vehicle did deploy. Onstar was notified of the accident as well as local law enforcement. The other driver was designated as the at- fault driver in the accident. I did contact GM and notified them of the failure of the airbag to deploy, and their legal department claims that if the "crumple zones" did their jobs then the airbag would not deploy, even in a head on collision. Our vehicle is still at the tow lot, and the airbag is still intact.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jun 282007

H3 5-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hummer H3. While driving 40 mph, the contact was involved in a head-on crash with the owner of an Oldsmobile minivan. The contact's passenger side air bag failed to deploy. The vehicle caught fire under the passenger side of the hood. The horn began to sound and the radio was activated during the fire. The contact's on star feature instantly notified the police and paramedic. The fire department extinguished the fire and the vehicle was destroyed. The insurance company and General Motors are both investigating the cause of the fire. The contact and three occupants were injured in the crash, including one who is in intensive care with a broken neck and back. The driver at fault was seriously injured as well. A police report and photos are available. The current and failure mileages were 736.

- Eureka Springs , AR, USA