NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2008 Hummer H3 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hummer H3:

2008 Hummer H3 Owner Comments

Jul 162016

Takata recall. I was driving between 10-15 mph on a side road approaching a stop sign to get onto the main highway and the side airbags on both sides deployed on their own. Nothing hit the vehicle to cause them to release. It locked up my front seat belts also. I cut the airbags out to be able to see to drive home, and was able to pull the driver's seat belt around me enough to make it home. I called my insurance company and then called the local Hummer dealer to leave a message for them to return my call. My insurance company told me it would be a dealer issue, and nothing they would cover, but advised me to go to my local insurance agent and talk with them on Monday. This is Saturday, July 16, 2016 and neither the insurance company or the service department of the dealership is open until Monday. I am not sure what happened, but believe that there it may be connected to faulty sensors on the side airbags.

- Casper, WI, USA

Jul 092016

While driving on a gravel road upwards on a gravel road (not a legal street) going under 10mph, the side upper airbags deployed by themselves without being in an accident or anything being structurally damaged. I was dazed, and might of had a slight concussion. The passenger was knocked unconscious, and her ribs and back hurt. I have read on many forums that this similar situation has occurred. There are more situations but please read below. These vehicles are made to do climb 60 degree angles, I don't understand how there are so many insistence that this has happened. This is not safe at all!! below are just a few I found on the internet."6114-air-bag-deployment-problem"F=25&T=8443

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 152014

H3 5-cyl

I was driving 40mph when unexpectedly the curtain airbags driver side front and back and passenger side front and back deployed causing injuries to my collar bone, arm and neck.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

May 232013

H3 8-cyl

We practiced winching techniques with sno cty search and rescue. My vehicle was being winched up a hill. When we finished our practice, I notice the airbag warning light on the dash was illuminated. I took the vehicle to a GM dealership who sold Hummer and had the vehicle diagnosed. They stated that the rollover sensor had indicated deployment. The vehicle did not roll, nor did the SRS system deploy. They recommended replacement of the rollover sensor. I had them fully test the system to be certain that the $500 part would solve the problem. I had them replace the sensor with GM approved parts bought from the dealership. After the repair, the mechanic stated that he thought there was an electrical fault with the sensor - but had no way of testing the circuits; nor the willingness to try a part he fixed because it could deploy the system. The light is on again (the repair was completed June 11, 2013). I took the vehicle back to the dealership, where they pulled the entire dash apart and tested all the circuits. They did not find a definite cause. They recommended that we use dielectric grease on the connections. They indicated that if that did not solve the problem, the next "repair" would be replace the airbag itself (roughly $800). This is where I am at today - the light is illuminated again; GM has basically washed their hands of the vehicle (there is no warranty so all of this is coming out of my pocket); and they want to "try" to replace the airbag. I'm now concerned that the rollover sensor was not at fault; rather, there is an electrical problem with the SRS system. I think the dealership has done the best they can - but without GM's participation in the solution; I think I will be continually throwing parts and still not finding the problem. GM can test these parts; they have the schematics; charts; and ip to allow them to find the issue.

- Woodinville, WA, USA

Apr 062013

Casually driving down the freaking road when all side airbags deployed for no reason! me and my friend both suffered brusing on our faces!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 072013

H3 5-cyl

My 22 year old daughter & a passenger was driving westbound on airport freeway, going straight, no turning, nopot holes, etc. All side airbags deployed for no reason what so ever!

- Irving, TX, USA

Sep 212011

I was driving in very thick fog which was a white out. I was going through a turn and was lost in the fog quickly and I ended up off the side of the road struck a speed limit sign and a utility pole on my drivers side door because I seen it at the last moment and tried to avoid hitting it. But at the point of impact my driver side airbag never deployed at all causing me to suffer numerous broken ribs and loss of work for over 2 months time. I wasn't driving fast at all actually was going under the allotted speed limit. But due to my injuries the had to extracate me from the vehicle causing it to be a total loss because they had to cut it apart running my vehicle completely. I was not happy about this at all.

- Tower City, PA, USA

Aug 192012

The contact owns a 2008 Hummer H3. The contact stated while driving 9 mph the driver and passenger side curtain air bags deployed. The passenger suffered neck injuries including a chipped bone. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The failure and current mileages was 41,000.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Nov 272011

H3 5-cyl

Curtain airbags deploy without reason going down interstate 64. Only the curtain airbags deploy. My Hummer H3 is at the hall Chevrolet chesapeake va where they run a full diagnostic check and check for any damage to my Hummer. No damage found other then the curtain airbags deployed and the diagnostic check came back showing no errors.

- Norfolk, VA, USA