2002 Hyundai Accent fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Accent:

2002 Hyundai Accent Owner Comments

May 242016

When putting gas in the car, the fuel pump clicks off every 10 cents or so as if the tank is full but it is not. Sometimes the gas oven runs back out of the tank as if it is overfilled and running over, but it is not. I live in NJ, which is one of the two states that have full service gas stations. And gas station attendants constantly tell me that they encounter this problem specifically with Hyundai's all the time! they have told me that they have also seen this with brand new Hyundai models as well, so it's not a problem that has improved over the years since my dated 2002 model. Even the service tech at my local Hyundai dealership was all too familiar with this defect widely known with Hyundai's when I spoke to him. He also quoted me a price around $600, which he said from his experience as a technician doesn't guarantee the problem to be fixed. There are cases of the problem coming back after the repair is done! I contacted Hyundai with my concerns and to specifically ask why this widely known defect was not recalled and I did not get a real answer to my question. I have been dealing with this problem for some time. And looking at some of the other complaints filed, plus the people I've talked to (including Hyundai employees), they have known about this common problem, but refuse to acknowledge it as a defect and fix the issue. Very frustrating.

- Woodbury, NJ, USA

Feb 022015

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Accent. While refueling the vehicle, fuel would leak from the filler neck onto the ground. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Many people have been complaining about this vehicle. You can't put gas into it without the pump stopping approximately every.25 gallons. It's very annoying and it is difficult to pass inspection. I don't understand why Hyundai should not be required to fix this problem. It comes up as a 1401 for emissions testing

- Narvon, PA, USA

Feb 282013

The gas tank will not accept fuel at a reasonable flow from a pump. It trips the shut off early. Sometimes fuel splashes out when this happens. Many Hyundai cars have this problem. From research, I found the following problems: 1) charcoal bits in the vent lines from the carbon canister- one owner cut open the canister and found a foam filter like in a window A/C that was damaged by gas allowing carbon to go into the vent lines clogging them and not allowing the tank to vent. Incompatable material used. 2) faulty check valve at the inlet of the gas tank does not open fully when refueling causing gas to back up the filler neck. 3) defective "sampling pump". this is in the vent system between the fuel filler pipe and the rear bumper. Pump does not operate when it should. 4) small filler tube. Gas pump nozzles in the uk had to be changed to a smaller size so that there could be some venting. The vent lines in my car seem clear. I am changing the check valve, and I will see if this improves the situation. It also seems that the Hyundai dealers do not understand the problem and what causes it.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 022012

My Hyundai Accent 02 refuses to fuel up continually shutting off at the pump 1/4 gal at best, twenty minutes to fill, took it to the dealership they are well aware of the problem, ,, the fumes can not vent properly and forces air back up the filler neck of the gas tank and sprays gas all over. This is not only dangerous to myself but also dangerous to every person in the area. I feel this is a danger to everyone and needs to B addressed.

- Edmonton, AL, USA