2008 Hyundai Accent seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Accent:

2008 Hyundai Accent Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 022016

At end of May 2016, my airbag light went on and stayed on. I took my 2008 Accent to the dealer on 6/2/16 and was told that the OCS mat may need to be replaced at a cost of $1400 to $1600. If I do not replace it, the airbags will not deploy in an accident because the airbag sensor system is disabled. This 2008 Accent should be recalled because this is a serious safety issue.

- Tumwater, WA, USA

Feb 052016

Takata recall.air bag light on all the time.

- Gibsonton, FL, USA

Mar 252016

The airbag lights comes on an stays on you have to get it scan sn the code will read B1448, B1449, or B1450 an it should be a recall for this.because only a dealer can get it off an then they want to chsrge you $1345.95 just to get it fix thats highway robbery.well the going to reject you an you can get a inspection sticker either.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Feb 262016

Accent 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Accent. The contact stated that the air bag light remained illuminated in the vehicle. The vehicle was diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 94,000. Updated 04/14/16 the passenger lower seat assembly and OCS mat were replaced on March 7, 2016. Updated 05/17/16.

- Kealakekua, HI, USA

Feb 052016

Heading West bound on I 10 in Alabama. Car was going between 60-70mph. Avoided the accident by sliding into another lane, breaks did not catch. Upon fish tailing back into traffic hit another vehicle head on and airbags did not deploy on impact until car was no longer in motion. The front driver airbag and the passenger front airbag did not deploy. Was standing on the breaks trying to get the car to stop and the car never stopped. It took the median cables to stop the vehicle. When the car had come to a stop is when the side curtain and seat airbag on passenger side deployed. Damage was sustained heavily to driver side front as well and still no side airbags, seat, or frontal airbags deployed. E-break did not even catch.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 042015

I was driving down a busier street in town at about 35-40 miles an hour, with family in the car, when a lady in an SUV pulled out in front of me. The front of my vehicle crushed into her driver's tire area. My car was totaled and none of the airbags deployed. Thank goodness everyone had their seatbelts on, and everyone walked away from the accident.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jun 022014

About a year ago the air bag light came on for few days for no reason, then it came off. Now the air bag is back on for good, it started up again since July and is still on. We have not been in an accident for it to cause for the air bag light to come back on. I called to see if I can get it repair, the gentleman said it will cost more about $1,000 or more to check it and get it repair. I do not want to pay that much, but my son's safety is my concern. I feel like all the sudden everything with this car is falling apart. Sun visor and now airbag...

- Loveland, OH, USA

May 052015

Noticed my airbag light on not sure why I have not been in accident nor run into anything. Only one of my breaklights (passenger side) out. Recently had stop light replaced.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Mar 182015

Daughter was in an accident, totaled the front end of the car and the airbags never deployed. Am hiring an attorney.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Accent. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,987.

- Denver , CO, USA

Dec 222014

Red airbag light on the dashboard is on. I had the Hyundai dealership diagnose the problem, they told me that the air bag sensor pad in the front passenger seat went bad. They said the seat base would have to be replaced and that it would be $822.82 for parts + 1.5 hours labor for a total of: $985. It seems very odd that the passenger seat airbag sensor would go bad in my car because I hardly ever have a passenger.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Accent. The contact stated that the front passenger side air bag warning light flickered when the seat was being occupied. In addition, the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the air bag sensor in the passenger seat failed and the front passenger seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- East Ridge, TN, USA

Mar 282014

Air bag light stays on. No reason has been identified. Concerned for all Accent drivers, as this problem has been reported by many people in many places online and in the real world.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Dec 032013

Accent 4-cyl

Air bag light stays on, plus passenger airbag light says off sometimes even when someone is in the passenger seat. Took in to dealer who says the passenger side sensor (OCS ) needs to be replaced charging approx $1000 for the part. There are many complaints on Hyundai faulty OCS, yet only the sonata has been recalled.

- Kapolei , HI, USA

Nov 252014

SRS, airbag light stays on, passenger airbag light lights up off.

- Pullman, WA, USA

Jun 012013

The SRS airbag error light came up, the code reads B1448 which is the malfunction of the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat. The vehicle is out of warranty. Without the occupancy sensor working correctly, the passenger airbag will not deploy in a collision! this Accent model should have recall on this issue.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 092014

Accent 4-cyl

The SRS warning light came on, so we took the car to the dealership. They told us it would be $900 to repair the occupancy sensor on the passenger seat, since the vehicle is no longer under warranty. Without the repair, the passenger airbag will not deploy in the event of a collision. This must be due to a faulty part or poor installation, since our vehicle has not seen any recent accidents or unusual use.

- Richfield, MN, USA

May 012013

Accent 4-cyl

I purchased a car in Colorado spring in 2008(my state of record) and currently I live in germany working for the us army. My airbag drivers seat sensor doesn't function properly, because the sensor shows red and the car wasn't even five years old when the system malfunctions. I contacted the Hyundai dealership in amberg, bayern, germany and scheduled an appointment. They tested the airbag system which I already knew it, but they were not able to pin point the location of airbag sensor that was showing error on driver's side. The problem is they cannot even locate the part of the system on Hyundai factory catalog with the computer data base. The Hyundai specification for the us or european car airbag system shouldn't be different under consumer protection law. The company is concerns about the transmission & pollution and provides warranty; but seat belts or airbag system it's not even included in the manual.

- Apo Ae, AE, USA

Sep 122013

Accent 4-cyl

Passenger air big light says it is off.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Jun 012013

My 30,000 mile Hyundai has a faulty airbag sensor. My warranty was about to go up and I had it fixed. The airbag light is always on because of a seat sensor that doesn't work properly. Basically a week after my warranty went up and two weeks after the dealership fixed the problem, my light went back on. Needless to say it is very concerning having your airbag light on. I have no idea if they'll work so I don't use the interstate. I think it is ridiculous something like an airbag is something I am worrying about on a 5 year old car. I have heard horror stories of the airbags randomly going off or not going off at all in similar Hyundai's. it is a problem that needs to be fixed. It's a joke that I have to worry about my airbag system in 2013.

- Boise, ID, USA