1.8

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring:

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Owner Comments

Apr 032015

Elantra Touring

The passenger seat weight classification sensor failed and as a result the car shut down the airbag system. The airbag warning light is on and as such none of the airbags will function. The dealer quoted me at nearly $2,000 to fix the problem, and mentioned replacing the entire seat bottom. Requiring a complete seat replacement for a simple sensor seems like a major design flaw. Meanwhile, this really affects the safety of the vehicle as the airbags are not functioning.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Nov 012014

Elantra Touring 4-cyl

I purchased the car in Feb 2012 at 34,214 mi and in 1 yr time, I kept blowing lights...headlights, fog, brake and tail. I put a lot of miles on my car so by the time I became annoyed by it, I just missed my warranty so I let it go. Ffwd to Sept 2014, I couldn't keep my tail and brake lights functioning at the same time. After several bulb replacements, it was discovered that it wasn't the bulbs that kept blowing, but rather the fuse. As soon as I turned the lights on, it would pop. Nov 2014 at 118,470 mi, I brought it to a dealership to have them research...after 3 days it was discovered that the wires that go around the license plate frame were being pinched by the screws creating a diag short so it was adjusted and I moved on. Jan 2015, same problem!! I took it back to the same dealership and after they tore apart the car again, it was discovered that there was damaged wiring to the R/S plate lamp to the extent that they were melted together and every time the lights were turned on, it would smoke. This is a separate issue that was not seen in Nov. It was repaired so it won't happen again, but that was 3 years of electrical drama that should have been avoided. I still have electrical issues inside the car, but at least my exterior lights work.

- Fort Ann, NY, USA

Feb 242014

Elantra Touring 4-cyl

I was driving back home and approaching a stop when my SRS airbag light came on, indicating malfunction of airbag. No airbags were deployed, but light would not go away. Brought it into authorized Hyundai service center, and they stated right front seat track sensors have failed. The cost for replacing this part is extremely expensive, and driving with this light on I think would be a safety hazard if I got into a car accident. I have seen other reports and complaints of other owners having similar problem. Can you please investigate. Thank you.

- Bayside, NY, USA