3.1

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring:

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Owner Comments

Jul 072014

Elantra Touring

Driving on highway 65 mph, power steering went out. When I reached my destination which was another 20 miles away I researched and a bit and when I turned car back on a few hours later it was working again. I received a recall letter about it almost a year later. Why did I just receive that? took to dealership for that and three other recalls (two I was not aware of. The stop light I did get a letter about, however the airbag light has been on for months and I see by reading these other complaints that there shuld be a recall about that. Dealership tells me the whole sterring mechanism is bad and are replacing this week. The high profile tires have been a nightmare since I bought the vehicle, expensive for that sized car and don't last more than 30K miles. I don't think the tire issue has anything to do with the branding. After reading all these complants, I most likely will not buy from Hyundai again. The airbag issue is an expensive fix, a potential safety hazard and should be rectified by Hyundai. Stand behind your product, simple ethical expectation

- Waverly, IA, USA

Jun 192014

Elantra Touring 4-cyl

When I tried to start my 2009 Hyundai Elantra touring, I could not move the ignition key or the steering wheel. With great effort in trying to turn the wheel, it has been possible to get it to move. After this happened for the third time, I took it to the Hyundai dealer in punta gorda, fl. Before he even looked at it, the service manager told me all cars do that. That there was nothing they could do to fix it. Something about an anti theft feature and that I had to leave the steering wheel at 11:00 O'clock position. The car now has only 23,232 miles on it and I was stranded again in the grocery store parking lot. This has now happened to me 5 times, in flat parking lots, in the hot sun in Florida. I had to call aaa, twice, as I was not strong enough to move the wheel. What good is a 100,000 mile warranty, if they can't or won't fix the car? I am afraid to drive it, as I would not want to get stuck someplace unsafe.

- Englewood, FL, USA

Apr 122012

Elantra Touring

Car consistently steers or pulls to the right even when driving on flat surface. Tires checked and not the problem. Dealer did an alignment but still pulls to right. Dealer not able to fix after two visits. Might be a defect with the electronic power steering.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Apr 102011

Elantra Touring 4-cyl

Steering wheel completely locked up while driving.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA