2009 Hyundai Genesis brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Genesis:

2009 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Sep 112012

Genesis 8-cyl

While applying the brakes, the brake pedal would go to the floor and fail to stop the vehicle. I had to repeatedly pump the brakes to get the car to stop. Pressing the brake without pumping would cause the brake pedal to go to the floor.

- Maplewood , NJ, USA

Oct 232013

Genesis 6-cyl

In October while the car was at the dealer for service they asked me wait a few more minutes and explained they were replacing the brake fluid. Within a month of that service I started noticing a soft peddle which turned to a to the floor pedal on occasions. Finally in late Dec 13 it got very bad and the brakes were unresponsive and took a great deal of pressure to activate from time to time. I brought the car to the dealer today under a new recall I just received regarding brake fluid replacement. They replaced the fluid and bled the system, they said they were not satisfied with the result and continued to look for another issue. They found the mast cylinder was leaking. The tech took me on the side and said the fluid that was in there attracted metal shavings that probably caused the master cylinder seal to fail. They would not let me drive the car home and gave me a loaner.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Dec 172013

Genesis 6-cyl

I was driving at 45 mph approaching an intersection and observed the traffic signal turn red. I applied the brakes and the pedal freely sunk to the floor while I had no braking power. I let up on the brake pedal and pumped the pedal and after several pumps had weak braking. I was able to stop after rolling partly into the intersection. While at a stop, I then pumped the brake pedal and noted I had braking power but the pedal would fall all the way down under continuous pressure. I was able to drive home cautiously noting the same situation with the brake pedal.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Dec 172013

Genesis 6-cyl

On 11/5/13, I received email noticed from NHTSA's ODI of campaign id number 13V489. Upon clicking the link I was provided further information including the following: "Hyundai will inspect the hecu module for proper operation, and will replace the modules as necessary." After receiving a notice from Hyundai for a different recall (13V113), I contacted Hyundai, and made an appointment to have recall service for both campaigns done at carousel Hyundai, West chester, pa on 12/17/2013. Carousel insisted the brake fluid service was based did not include component inspection based on service bulletin 13-01-006-02, and failed to perform an inspection, but noted on my invoice "completed campaign TL6 as required." On 12/30/13, I contacted Hyundai by telephone, asked why the dealership did not have the proper information to perform the inspection and was told that the recall information was not available to the dealership until after my vehicle was taken in for service on 12/17/13. I was then informed that if I wanted the brake system components inspected for corrosion damage, I would need to take the vehicle in for an additional recall service. Since NHTSA provided me with the proper recall information for this campaign on 11/5/13, it is not clear why Hyundai failed to provided this information to their authorized service network until after 12/17/13, more than 30 days later, resulting in improper servicing to complete the NHTSA campaign. Many consumers are unlikely to challenge the lack of inspection and may therefore continue driving vehicles that are improperly serviced, and present a potential life safety and collision damage risk. Meanwhile, I will be required to wait longer and spend additional time to have the proper servicing performed. Carousel did take the time to inform me about other, unrelated, servicing they recommended, and offered to perform for a fee.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Sep 182013

Genesis 8-cyl

When the brakes are applied the car starts to slow down but does not stop until the brakes go almost to the floor. I am just waiting for the time when it does not stop at all. With all the complaints I am seeing about these brake problems it appears a recall should be forthcoming from Hyundai.

- Homosassa, FL, USA

Nov 192013

The contact owns 2009 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that while at a stop, the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The contact mentioned that the failure would recur intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic electronic control unit needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number:13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was repaired under the recall in April of 2013 but the failure recurred. The approximate failure and current mileage was 100,000.

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 122013

Genesis 6-cyl

Driving in a 45 mph road, there was a traffic light that turned red. My speed before starting to brake was approximately 40 mph. When I pressed the brake pedal, it went almost to the floor and the car was not stopping. Immediately I pumped the brake pedal several times and fortunately the brakes slowed down the car until it came to a stop almost at the middle of the intersection. It was a blessing that there was no other car in front of me or crossing the intersection at the time. Drove home very slowly and towed the vehicle to the service center. ABS module was replaced at a cost of over $2400. A few months before the car had the brake fluid replaced due to a vehicle recall from Hyundai. Service performed by the same service center that replaced the faulty ABS module.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Dec 032013

The contact owns 2009 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph and applying the brakes, the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic) which stated that the hecu module would be replaced as necessary however, the technician refused to replace the hecu module under the recall and stated that they would only replace the brake fluid. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the dealer was not authorized to replace the hecu module. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 232013

At the time of the first incident I had come to a stop and noticed the car starting to move forward and the brake pedal slowly moving toward the floor. I thought it was probably low brake fluid, but checked it and it was fine. The problem continued and seemed to slowly get worse. I have since taken it in for service and repair of the brake related recall items. This did not resolve the problem and I was told I needed the ABS control module replaced at a cost of approximately $2400. After realizing that the NHTSA is currently investigating this faulty part, I wanted to make sure that my issues with this part were added to the list of complaints.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 022013

Genesis 6-cyl

Problem: Upon applying brakes, reduced brake pressure & longer pedal travel, feeling like master cylinder problem- although brakes continued to work with greater effort. Nov. 2013 received Hyundai safety recall notice 13V-113: Replace stop lamp switch and flush/refill brake fluid. Dealer completed service noc 30, 2013. Dealer said that master cylinder needed replacement. Service performed Dec. 5, 2013. Dealer then said hydraulic electronic control unit needed replacement. (parts ordered.) I feel that my brake problems were caused by the manufacturer installing inadequate/faulty brake fluid. The repairs need to be done at the manufacturer's expense.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Genesis 6-cyl

Problem: Upon stepping on brakes, reduced brake pressure, longer pedal travel- feeling like possible master cylinder failure, but brakes continued to work. Nov. 15, 2013 received Hyundai safety recall notice 13V-113: Replace stop lamp switch and flush/refill break fluid. Dealer completed service Nov 30. Dealer said master cylinder needed to be replaced. Service performed Dec. 5. dealer then said hydraulic electronic control unit needed replacement. I feel the brake problems are due to the faulty break fluid that was installed by the manufacturer and repairs need to be done at the manufactures expense.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Genesis 8-cyl

While driving the car at 5.20 pm on Monday December 2, 2013, my brakes failed. The brake pedal almost went to the floor, were very soft, and only barely worked. I managed to stop the car without hitting any other vehicle. Since I was close to home, I carefully maneuvered the car to my garage where it was safely parked. On Tuesday morning (the next day) I had the car towed to shawnee mission Hyundai. That afternoon they called me back to say that the problem was complete failure of the brake control module (hecu). Upon investigation, and without any advice or assistance from the people at Hyundai, I have discovered that this is a known issue for Hyundai, and the subject of a recall. I am writing to inform the authority that the parts failed on my car.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 262013

Genesis 6-cyl

I had to take my car into service due to two recalls that had been posted. One for the brake switch and the second for the brake fluid. In addition to that, my wife had also mentioned to me that the brakes felt "sponge-Y". once I got to the local dealership and notified the service advisor what issues I had, he told me that my car needs a new ABS module. I did some online research and discovered that there have already been similar complaints filed for this problem. I would like to add myself to that list of consumers who have this vehicle with this problem. I look forward to having this issue being resolved.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Aug 132013

Genesis 6-cyl

On 8/13/13 at approx 930am, traffic was approaching a traffic light when it turned yellow. Driver of vehicle infront of me suddenly stopped and as I applied the brake to stop as well, my brake pedal was depressed to the floor but had no braking power. I was not able to stop so unfortunately I struck the vehicle infront of me. All repairs were finished on 8/29/13. As I backed into my driveway I noticed that my brake lights were not working. I contacted the auto body shop and they looked at it the next day. They advised me that the brake lights were not in direct relation to their services rendered but that I should take it to a local dealership to have it checked out. They also advised me that my brake pedal seemed soft and should also be looked at. I made an appointment with the dealer and they advised me that there was a recall on the brake fluid and stop light switch. The brake lights started working again prior to my appointment so I ended up canceling it. In early Nov I noticed my brake lights again were not working. I brought the vehicle in and they fixed the brake fluid and stop light switch saying they were recalled. They also advised me that my brake pedal went to the floor and should have it looked at but would have to pay for diagnosis and/or repairs. When I got home again, I backed into the driveway and noticed my brake lights were not working even though I just left the dealership where they fixed it. Recalls are stating that the previous brake fluid may corrode the brake module reducing brake effectiveness possibly ending in a crash and that the stop lights have malfunctioned on other cars. I wanted to make you aware of my issue before I contacted Hyundai directly and possibly a lawyer. Thank you

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Nov 082013

Genesis 6-cyl

Brought my car in to address a recall on the brakes. 10 days after they flushed my brake fluid I noticed I had to push down hard on the brake pedal for the car to stop. I brought the car in and they said the master cylinder needs to be replaced at my cost. I have two young children and I'm extremely concerned about the safety of this vehicle.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Mar 272013

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated while driving 40 mph, he attempted to engaged the brakes but the pedal extended to the floor and failed to stop the vehicle. In order to stop the vehicle the contact was forced to shift out of gear. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the front tire brake pads and master brake cylinder were replaced but failed to remedy the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 85,000.

- Redlands, CO, USA

Oct 302013

Genesis 6-cyl

Sudden loss of brake pressure. Brake pedal became very mushy, and had to be pressed all the way down to brake the car. After brake was pumped a couple of times, issue went away. Appears to be caused by a faulty ABS hydraulic module. After the incident, did some research on the Genesis owners forums, and seems like the same issue has affected a number of other vehicles as well.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Oct 282013

Genesis 6-cyl

My wife was driving our 2009 Hyundai Genesis eastbound on the Florida turnpike at approximately 75 mph. A vehicle put on their brakes ahead of the car and my wife went to apply her brakes and the pedal went nearly to the floor causing her to nearly lose control of the vehicle before braking action finally activated. I immediately took the vehicle to our local Hyundai dealership and was presented with a $2375 repair bill for a failed ABS control module. I have since learned that this is a recurring failure with the Genesis model and a recall is currently in effect for these vehicles on the brake system. This is a critical safety issue that must be addressed immediately!

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Oct 302013

Genesis 6-cyl

This is the second time in a week where the brakes have just failed. The brake pedal will go all the way to the floor. After pumping the pedal pressure is restored. Concerned about safety going forward.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Oct 312013

Genesis 6-cyl

I experienced brakes issues with my 2009 Hyundai Genesis on 31 Oct 13. Driving home from work, I had to push my brakes all the way to the ground and pump them several times to get the vehicle to stop. I called the Hyundai dealership to get an appointment for my car, they were able to see my car on 4 Nov 13 (today). I received a call from the Hyundai representative (waldorf, md - store #MD041) this morning notifying me that my car's brake system - hydraulic electronic control unit is failing. This seems to happening more often to these particular cars. I was told the brake fluid was replaced in my car in March 2013. The change of the brake fluid was to prevent this from happen. The brake fluid did not prevent this from happening to my vehicle. I believe Hyundai should recall/fix the faulty hydraulic electronic control unit for the Hyundai Genesis versus the customers paying a $3,000 bill which is unnecessary.

- Laplata, MD, USA