2009 Hyundai Genesis brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Genesis:

2009 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jul 062016

Genesis

I own a 2009 Hyundai Genesis clearly affected by the recall on brake fluid that affects the brake module. My car has been deemed too dangerous to drive, but was never included in the recall efforts according to my service advisor. I being asked to pay an exorbitant amount to replace the ABS module. My advisor has informed me that my VIN # is not included in the recall efforts. So, it appears that although I own a 2009 which is a year that is affected with this problem....my safety does not matter for some reason. My car is experiencing the same issues and will probably create an accident if it is driven. My car should also be included and I do not understand why it is not. The brakes can be depressed all the way to floor board and the car will still begin to roll forward. It will not stop completely! this has been an ongoing issue for a months now and the dealer is telling me my car is not covered by this recall! I am putting today's date, but it has been months now and my safety should be considered as well before something terrible happens.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 222016

Genesis

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. While driving and attempting to stop the vehicle, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The brakes had to be pumped in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing and it was determined that the brakes were fine. The contact stated that the brake failure recurred the very next day. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the master cylinder failed and the ABS hydraulic unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 39,305.

- Whitehouse, TX, USA

Jul 132012

Genesis

My wife and I have both experienced the same problem. While in motion and have had to come to a stop the brake pedal bottoms out and have had to pump the pedal to bring the car toa stop. Took the car to the dealership; nothing was determined to be the problem. This has occurred several times.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 202016

Genesis

While driving at low speed, and applying brakes, my break pedal went all the way to floor. No lights or warnings were displayed. This condition continued until home. The next morning brakes worked normally and have for two weeks now.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 042015

Genesis

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. While driving approximately 60 mph, the contact applied the brakes and the brake pedal traveled to the floor. There was no resistance. The vehicle was able to stop slowly. The contact placed the vehicle in park and continued to pump the brake pedal to increase the tension and the brake pressure returned to normal. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Dec 202015

Genesis

2009 Hyundai Genesis, in motion street and highway. Total brake failure. No warning, no dashboard light warning. Columbia Hyundai advised that the brake failure is due to failure of the ABS control box. In other words total, un-announced failure of anti skid control box caused a complete brake system failure in this car.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 072015

Genesis

When attempting to stop the vehicle the brakes went low to the floor. Took to dealership said that the ABS system needed to be replaced. This is a known issue with the 2009 Genesis but since they had checked it in 2014 it would not be an issue for us. This was not true and others may have the problem if the ABS system is not replaced.

- Voorhees, NJ, USA

Oct 172015

Genesis

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. While driving approximately 75 mph, the brake pedal felt stiff and made an abnormal noise. The vehicle slowed down to 30 mph and would not increase when the accelerator pedal was depressed. There were no warning lights illuminated. The contact proceeded to pull over to the shoulder and called roadside service. The vehicle was turned off and restarted. The electronic stabilty control light iluminated and the vehicle resumed normal operation. The dealer stated that the brake rotors overheated. The mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 70,060.

- El Cahon, CA, USA

Sep 192015

Genesis

On September 19, 2015, when approaching a red light, the brake pedal went all the way to the floorboard and the car would not stop. Repeated pumping of the pedal finally brought the car to a stop. Within an hour a second event occurred on the freeway when approaching another car from the rear. The brake pedal had no resistance and went all the way to the floorboard. It has not occurred again. Two days later I took the car (carefully) into the dealer. They have, as yet, been unable to replicate the problem (as Hyundai requires for warranty consideration). However, I will not drive this car or let my wife use it until this is diagnosed and repaired. It is extremely unsafe. This type of brake failure has been noted repeatedly in the 2009 Hyundai Genesis. I am stuck with an unusable car and a manufacturer who will not recognize the severity of this issue. The dealer does not want to repeatedly subject their staff to the risk of an accident but Hyundai requires the problem be validated by another occurrence when driven by dealer staff.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Sep 162015

Genesis

On 9/16/15 the brakes on my 2009 Hyundai Genesis failed and the car would not stop as the brake pedal sank to the floor. I finally got the car to stop with excessive pumping of the brakes. On 9/16/15 I brought my car into jim ellis Hyundai to fix the problem. The dealer inspected the car and couldn't replicate the issue I had experienced earlier in the day. The dealership ran diagnostics on the car and did not find any problems and now the brakes seem to be working fine. My car has 115,561 miles. This is the second visit to the dealership for this problem. On 04/30/15, I brought in the car for two recalls, one that included a brake fluid flush. A month later, I had a similar incident while driving on the highway that caused me to lose brake pressure.after a few days the problem subsided. I am seriously concerned about the safety of this automobile, especially after reading so many similar incidents already filed with the government.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Sep 102015

Genesis

At approximately 7:50am on my way to work, heading westbound on rodeo rd and was going to make a left turn at cloverdale my car stalled. During the stall the engine cutoff and the electrical power in the car seemed to reset itself. As I was coming to a stop, I could feel the brakes not working and I put the car into park and tried to restart the engine by pushing on the start/stop button. When that didn't work, all the power in the car went out and nothing worked, no emergency lights, no power anything. I called roadside assistance and had them tow to the nearest dealership. This is the second time this has happened. The first was on Sunday night September 6th, 2015 at around 8pm in san jose. I put that as a complaint on this system at that time.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Aug 292015

Genesis

On 5/11/15 the brakes on my 2010 Hyundai Genesis failed and the car would not stop as the brake pedal sank to the floor. On 5/12/15 I brought my car into global auto mall and drove very slowly to the dealer, pumping the brakes at every stop along the way to get the car to stop. Global auto mall diagnosed the problem and replaced the master brake cylinder assembly under warranty. My car had 45,381 miles on it at the time. On 8/29/15 the brakes on my 2010 Hyundai Genesis failed again and the car would not stop as the brake pedal sank to the floor. On 8/31/15 I brought my car into global auto mall driving very slowly to the dealer, pumping the brakes at every stop along the way to get the car to stop. My car had 49,179 miles on it at the time. Global auto mall has stated that after running diagnostics on the car they did not find any problems and now the brakes are working fine. A recall on the braking fluid that caused corrosion on the ABS module was performed on my car already, but there is no way for the technician to actually check for corrosion inside the ABS assembly. I do not feel that the car is safe to drive and the brakes are going to fail again, as nothing was repaired on my vehicle.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Oct 012014

Genesis

Brake pedal suddenly requires more travel to engage brakes. It requires a lot of force to get the pedal to engage. Had brakes checked by independent mechanic and all signs point to hecu. Hyundai will repair newer models of the Genesis but for my year they are not. It appears to be a common issue with other owners of the Genesis, as well.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Feb 272015

Genesis 6-cyl

Brake pedal almost went to floor before it started to come to a stop. We didn't hit anything because we were in parking lot but if this had happened on the highway, there would have been an accident. This problem started suddenly and has continued. The car is now in a repair shop. There was a recall to replace the brake fluid and this was done in January 2014. The wrong brake fluid was in the car for four years before it was replaced. It seems reasonable that this current brake failure is due to the four years of improper brake fluid although Hyundai will take no responsibility for this brake issue.

- Napa, CA, USA

Feb 042015

Genesis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that when attempting to engage the brakes, the brake pedal went to the floor without any warning. The contact was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and indicated that the dealer only replaced the factory brake fluid. The contact stated that the dealer did not inspect the hecu module for proper operation. The contact stated that months later, the failure recurred. The recall repair did not remedy the failure and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer who diagnosed that the hecu needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000. Updated 4/7/15

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Jan 052015

Genesis

When I try stopping the brake pedal pushes to the bottom but doesn't stop the car. The brakes fail. I brought it into Hyundai service and they said they can't duplicate the problem. It happens around 50% of the time while driving.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Nov 232014

Genesis

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed, the pedal sank to the floor and failed to respond. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,600.

- Bayon, NJ, USA

Jan 042015

Genesis 6-cyl

While traveling on the highway, the brake pedal went nearly to the floor before the car began to decelerate. It was clear that the car could only slow moderately regardless of how hard I pressed the brake pedal, and there was no brake engagement at the top of the pedal travel. At home, I took photos of the pedal displacement relative to the firewall and can provide them. Photo 1 shows the state of the pedal when I arrived home. Imagine the amount of pedal force you might use while parallel parking or slowing for an off ramp on the highway. With that amount of force, the pedal was within ~2" of the firewall. Pumping the brake pedal led to increased "feel" and restoring brake effectiveness. Photo 2 shows a larger gap to the firewall after 5 pedal repetitions, and with increased force applied. Photo 3 shows an even larger gap after ~20 pedal repetitions and even higher force applied. The final photo shows that at maximum force, I could only get the pedal to ~3" from the firewall. This was similar to the state that the vehicle was in this morning, and felt "normal" in terms of pedal effort and travel. To reiterate: During the failure, the pedal would push to within 2" of the firewall with minimal effort, and with little braking effectiveness. I could not have performed a panic braking maneuver in this state, and only continued to drive due to the lack of traffic and proximity to my home. After subsequent pedal cycling in my driveway, I could only get the pedal to more than 3" from the firewall with maximum effort, and the base braking function appeared to be normal. To date, the dealer has been unable to reproduce the problem and thus unable to gain authorization from hma to perform any repair. I consider the car undriveable. This vehicle was already serviced for the hecu/brake fluid recall. Hecu passed the screening at that time.

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Jan 132015

Genesis 6-cyl

While returning home today I was on the freeway when traffic slowed suddenly I braked somewhat firmer than normal and pedal went soft and traveled to the floor. I pumped the brakes quickly but pedal stilled traveled close to the floorboard. I stopped just barely in time, probably just a few inches from the car in front of me. So the brake system failed somewhere in the hydraulics I believe. I am aware there has been many complaints of this car doing this.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Genesis 6-cyl

The brake pedal, when applied, traveled well beyond the normal point of stopping, almost to the floor. Braking effectiveness and results were greatly diminished and the pedal was extremely "spongy"/not firm as normal. In an emergency stopping situation, the car simply could not have stopped in time to avoid collision. This was not an intermittent occurrence. Once the symptom manifested itself, it has done do consistently. The car has been delivered to the humble tx Hyundai dealership which has identified the hecu component as the problem, and not the master cylinder. Unfortunately the service writer has not recognized the recall action required for this component.

- Houston, TX, USA