2009 Hyundai Genesis brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Genesis:

2009 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 012014

Genesis

The brake pedal, when applied, traveled well beyond the normal point of stopping, almost to the floor. Braking effectiveness and results were greatly diminished and the pedal was extremely "spongy"/not firm as normal. In an emergency stopping situation, the car simply could not have stopped in time to avoid collision. This was not an intermittent occurrence. Once the symptom manifested itself, it has done do consistently. The car has been delivered to the humble tx Hyundai dealership which has identified the hecu component as the problem, and not the master cylinder. Unfortunately the service writer has not recognized the recall action required for this component.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 182010

Genesis

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. While attempting to stop for a traffic light, the vehicle accelerated independently. As a result, the vehicle crashed into the rear end of another vehicle. No injuries were reported and a police report was filed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician replenished the brake fluid and was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure recurred on three different occasions, all involving a crash without injuries. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Homosassa, FL, USA

Jun 112014

Genesis

Brakes were applied and there was excessive pedal travel to the floor and severely reduced brake effectiveness. This has happened multiple times since the initial occurrence.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 052014

Genesis

In September, I was driving to work on the interstate and was exiting. Traffic was backed up on the exit ramp and so I was braking at the top of the exit ramp. There was a bump at the transition from asphalt to concrete and I hit that bump while I was braking. The brake pedal immediately went all the way to the floor but I was already slowed down so I did not hit the car in front of me on the ramp. The brake pedal continued to be mushy but I was able to pump the brakes numerous times and the brakes started to work again. On November 4, 2014, I was driving to work on a surface street and had to stop for a pedestrian. While I was braking, my right front tire hit a pothole and then the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. The car slowed but did not stop completely. I turned into my parking garage for work and the brake pedal continued to sink all the way to the floor every time I needed to stop. I inched into a parking space and continued to work. When I was going home, I turned the car on and pumped the brake pedal numerous times but the pedal continued to be mushy. I was able to stop because the brakes would suddenly grab just before the brake pedal was all the way to the floor. I made it home slowly and am getting the brakes looked at today.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Sep 252014

Genesis

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle failed to respond when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Huffman, TX, USA

Sep 162014

Genesis

In July 2014, I visited my local Hyundai dealership to take care of a recall notice that I had received and they promptly took care of two recalls, one of which was campaign 114 - replacing brake fluid and inspecting the hydraulic ECU (hecu). The recall has to do with the old fluid corroding portions of the hecu and causing brake failure. Well to that point, I had not had any brake failures or problems, but it was within a week of the inspection I applied the brakes very hard to stop and avoid hitting a car on the highway, the brakes worked fine, but upon hitting the brakes a second time, the pedal went all the way to floor before any braking was applied to the wheels. It stayed that way for the remainder of my trip (some 10-15 more miles) I attempted to pump the brakes and even stopped at a local gas station and turned the car off and on again to see if it remedied the problem, it did not. When I returned home, I began to look into what would cause this, and that is when found out that campaign 114 was in play to actually attempt to prevent this type of disaster. The next day I drove a different vehicle to work and when I returned home (still the month of July 2014) I tried the brakes on the Hyundai again and they seemed to work fine. I cautiously drove the car and didn't have another failure until today, when I was on the highway and applied the brakes harder than usual, the very next braking event my pedal again went all the way to the floor. I assume that whenever a hard braking event occurs these symptoms return. I made it to work and spent 4-5 hours there and left early to the dealer told them the story and said they are working fine right now since the car was off and on again, and while they are still investigating this, they told me already that the hecu is checking out ok. This is dangerous and needs to be recalled.

- Fallston, MD, USA

Jul 142014

Genesis

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. While driving at an unknown speed, the brakes failed and the brake pedal sank to the floor. The dealer stated that the inner ball joints and the hydraulic electronic control unit failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 252013

Genesis

I was driving out of my community to an appointment I had with Hyundai dealership to check brakes when I missed right turn.I stopped the car putt it in reverse using camera as my visual.I noticed I was getting closer to curb and sidewalk so I turned my body to my right and saw there was a big tree close to sidewalk.I was turning back to normal driving position and applying the brakes at same time when the pedal went completely to the floor, the steering moved to the right, never stopping the car. I heard a loud crashing noise and my body being severely jerked back and forth. I noticed the auto collapsing head rest popped up.I removed my seat belt put the car into park and went to see the damage.sure enough I had hit the tree which showed no sign of damage but the rear bumper on the passenger side was severely damaged, quarter panel was blown out and top of the trunk middle right was actually ripped and torn.I was determined to see why the brakes failed so I drove the car without any brakes and miraculously made it to dealership.one of service girls saw my damaged car and asked what happened.I told her brakes failed. She told me not to worry because they will fix car without any charge because thats how Hyundai treats their customers. I asked if there were recalls on the car, she said no.they told me my car will be ready next day.I went next morning and asked for the report on car which said brake fluid was changed twice and brakes failed twice.the service tech noticed auto anti locking brake module failed.he put in a new one, replaced braking fluid for third time, test drove the car and said brakes ok.when driving car brakes felt better.at home I started to feel light headed and few days latter back and neck pains started to get worse. Pain was so bad I went to urgent care center, gave me an injection and predizone for inflammation and pain.I'm under pain doctors care.

- Naples, FL, USA

Sep 252013

Genesis

I missed my right hand turn that I usually make to exit my community, so I stopped and put the vehicle in reverse using the backup camera as a guide. I noticed that I was getting too close to the sidewalk curbing and I noticed a large tree not to far from the curbing, so I turned my body around to my right side to get a visual look. While I was doing this I put my foot on the break pedal, turned my body back to a normal driving position and the brake pedal went right to the floor never stopping the vehicle.the steering wheel suddenly moved to the right and then I heard a large sound ( the rear end of the vehicle crashing into the tree that I saw.) all of this that happened took about seven to ten seconds!! I released my seat belt and got of the car to see the damage. The rear end of the bumper on the passenger side was severely damaged, the quarter panel on the same side was blown out and the top of the trunk toward the right side was actually ripped and dented. Ironically I had an appointed with the dealership to check the brakes the same day of the accident. I was determined to find out why the brakes failed. So I drove the vehicle knowing I had no brakes and miraculously made it to the dealership. The service personal saw how badly the vehicle was damaged and I explained to them what had happened.one of the girls in service department, I don't remember her name, completed the paper work and I was told I had to leave the vehicle.she also told me that there would no charge for any repairs because thats how Hyundai treats their customers thats' when old light bulb went off and I asked her if there were any recalls on vehicle and she said no. The next day I saw the repair form and that brake fluid was replaced twice and failed twice.he noticed that the auto antilock braking system module failed. He replaced that brakes O.K. I received back injury, under doctors care.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 092014

Genesis

Brake lights quit working entirely. There was a recall on the brake switch on this vehicle which was replaced on 12/08/13. Seven months later there is a problem with the brake lights and the service manager is telling me now it is a led diode. This diode, Z01, seems to be a problem. I did not have any issues with my brake lights before the recall work was done and, I've own this car since it was new, now 7 months later I have a brake light issue. This is a serious matter and should be rectified.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Oct 042013

Genesis 8-cyl

Brakes went to the floor, upon trying to stop for a traffic light..... pumped brakes over and over, still no resistance in the brake pedal. Began to prepare to downshift the A/T and start evasive maneuvers so I didn't jeopardize other near by drivers (and myself). As I prepared myself for an accident, the brake pedal become "spongy" and after pumping it a couple more times.... it finally began to work. I was beside myself! as a retired md state trooper, I knew how to stop the vehicle; however I couldn't believe the car I loved was failing me! at the next intersection, I pulled over, allowed the car to cool down and check fluid levels (everything was within normal limits) and there were no visible leaks under the vehicle or on the ground. On 10-18-2013....my vehicle was taken to Hyundai and Hyundai replaced my brake fluid, even though it wasn't necessary I had the front brake pads replaced, and the 60K mile service completed. At this time, there was no recall on this Hyundai brake issue. It is now June 2014 (mileage is now 74K) and my brake pedal is becoming spongy again and my stopping distance is becoming longer........I'm afraid my brakes are going to fail me again!!! I hope that doesn't happen with the children on board! I have maintained this vehicle meticulously and serviced it at every Hyundai required interval. This vehicle has never been involved in an accident and has been garage kept. I'm very disappointed that this brake issue has seriously depreciated the value of my 2009 Hyundai Genesis!

- Westminster, MD, USA

Apr 022014

Genesis

The brakes light have failed more than once and now don't work at all... I looked deeper into the issue and it looks like a diode needs to be replaced. This needs to be a recall it is a major safety issue and has happened to numerous owners.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Oct 282013

Genesis 6-cyl

While driving my 2009 Hyundai Genesis I was motioned by driver behind me of no brake lights I quickly pulled over and engine running and sure enough my cousin who was with me said I had no brake lights, I the went to the nearest auto parts place turned engine off, and asked the manager what to do.his suggestion was check the fuses, which I did, they where fine.at that point I decided to drive home, car won't start won't come out of park and warned steering locked.I then called roadside assistance provided free of charge by Hyundai.the driver of the tow truck could not start the car could not turn wheel he then when under the dash broke steering lock mechanism and was able to turn the wheel, car still wont start.after all the repairs where done I was charged $1461.01 for replacement of lock assembly, diode, bolt safety lock, wire jumper.I feel this all thing was due to brake light failure and the rest of the damage by the tow truck driver.we are in litigation.

- Westbury, NY, USA

May 292014

Genesis 6-cyl

I approached a stop sign and prepared to stop. The brake pedal felt normal at first, but suddenly the pedal went nearly to the floor. The abrupt change in the pedal, position resulted in my proceeding half way through the intersection before stopping. Fortunately there was no cross traffic at the time. My dealer diagnosed the problem as a failure of the ABS module, a $2500 repair. Hyundai issued a recall on my vehicle to replace the brake fluid which was felt to be corrosive and could result in failure of the ABS module. I had this performed in December of last year. Hyundai's warranty covers this part for 60,000 miles or 5 years. My car is no longer covered by the warranty since it is over 5 years old, and in spite of the low mileage, Hyundai so far has denied any compensation. Obviously the intended fix, changing the brake fluid, did not work, and caused the module failure. Since the company was aware that this could happen, it seems the proper thing to do would be to extend the warranty on this part for older vehicles.

- Aiken, SC, USA

May 162014

Genesis 8-cyl

I have encounter this problem multiple time with this vehicle through out my ownership. I bought the vehicle new and have encountered lost of brake lights repeatedly. I am usually informed during a scheduled maintenance that I have no brake lights. The service department replace the Z01 diode, but it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, because I've had this part replaced repeatedly due to lost of brake lights. The lost of brake lights is a very danger situation for all drivers that could result in crash, injury and fatalities. This seems to be a common issue with Hyundai Genesis vehicles per my investigation online.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

May 142014

Genesis 6-cyl

This complaint is in junction with the brake fluid recall for Hyundai Genesis. Had to step on my break all the way to the floor in order to stop vehicle. Almost crashed into car ahead of me. Took vehicle immediately to dealership. Notified by dealer that the hydraulic electric control unit needs replacement. Did research and realized most likely due to the corrosive brake fluid that is a known recall. Dealership is being difficult in replacing hecu even though it is clearly related to the corrosive brake fluid recall. This is a serious safety hazard as if I was driving faster or braked later it could have been a multi vehicle accident.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Apr 192014

Genesis 6-cyl

Forty five minutes after picking up my new ( to me ) car at the dealership I had purchased it from I was driving down the road and in an instant I had to step on the brakes hard because the truck in front of me stopped quickly to make a left hand turn. Upon doing so the brake pedal went all the way down and I crashed into the truck. After the crash I restarted the car to move it to the side of the road and it stopped normally like it should. I was left with the feeling that I had no brakes for that instant. Totally un aware of a brake recall on the new car, when I found out later that night about the recall I was upset because I couldn't believe that a well established 30 years in business dealership would sell me a car and not have mentioned or even taken care of it. On the following Monday after the accident I called Hyundai motor of America to verify that my new to me Genesis had never been recalled (repaired yet ). Hyundai said they were sorry and sent me out an investigation packet that I am currently filling out and gathering information for. They also asked me what I was seeking from Hyundai. I replied. I wanted my car fixed perfect. The truck I hit repaired. My recall taken care of and would like some sort of statement or document stating that my car was prone to brake failure so I can appeal the sir charge I will receive from my insurance company for the next five years at 500-600 per year for an at fault accident. My car was towed away to a body shop with considerable damage and is currently unable to be driven.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Apr 062014

Genesis 6-cyl

I was traveling approximately 25 mph in a residential neighborhood, preparing to come to a stop at an intersection when I depressed the brake pedal and it went all the way to the floor without stopping the car. I pumped the brakes and it then engaged and stopped the car. I carefully and slowly drove the car to the dealership the following morning. After inspecting the car, the dealership told me that the hecu and ABS module would need to be replaced and the brake fluid flushed and replaced. They said this would cost about $3,000 and they contacted my extended warranty insurance carrier to attempt to get the cost covered by insurance. A day later the dealership told me that the insurance company had sent an inspector out to test drive the car and would send another inspector tomorrow to inspect the hecu and ABS module and they're still attempting to work with them to get the cost covered. I took the car in for the safety recall on 10/24/13 and the brake fluid was replaced, and I also had new brakes installed on 3/8/14, yet I still had the brakes fail a month later. Hyundai should be doing the repairs without question and instead they're trying to get the extended warranty insurance carrier to cover it and I'm having to wait it out while they bicker about costs.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Mar 132014

Genesis

The brakes became spongy, increased travel, and lost stopping power. I had to press the pedal all the way to the floor to avoid an accident. I have had the brake fluid replaced, but suspect that this is due to corrosion that already occurred from the faulty brake fluid and ABS module. I would appreciate any assistance in convincing Hyundai of this.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 142014

Genesis 6-cyl

Brake pedal went to floor. Very difficult to stop vehicle. This is an intermittent problem and does not happen all the time. Typically has occurred once or twice per month. This continues even after having the master cylinder replaced and filling a complaint with the NHTSA. Hyundai checked the hecu module under their recall campaign #114 and states the hecu is within specs. However, since this is an intermittent issue they cannot diagnosis the problem until it fails. Cannot drive vehicle as we cannot predict next time this failure will occur.

- Oregon, OH, USA