2009 Hyundai Genesis electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Genesis:

2009 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Sep 102015

At approximately 7:50am on my way to work, heading westbound on rodeo rd and was going to make a left turn at cloverdale my car stalled. During the stall the engine cutoff and the electrical power in the car seemed to reset itself. As I was coming to a stop, I could feel the brakes not working and I put the car into park and tried to restart the engine by pushing on the start/stop button. When that didn't work, all the power in the car went out and nothing worked, no emergency lights, no power anything. I called roadside assistance and had them tow to the nearest dealership. This is the second time this has happened. The first was on Sunday night September 6th, 2015 at around 8pm in san jose. I put that as a complaint on this system at that time.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Sep 062015

Had a similar problem earlier today while taking the car out to get dinner. As I was approaching the freeway exit my car suddenly stalled and the steering wheel seemed to stiffen and the navi screen went out then back on. I pulled over emergency lane and waited to see what would happen and music continued up again from the usb port but I couldn't change the song. On the navi screen where usb setting is saying " initialization failed". so I pulled the usb stick to reset it and got it to work. I was able to go to dinner then drive back home without incident. But later on that night I tried to start my car but as soon as I hit the start button everything died. No power to anything no alarm no use of keyless entry no power at all. Then I come back to the car a few hours later that night and open the trunk manually with the key to get something and as soon as I slam the trunk down all the power came back hids, brake lights, lexicon system music playing. Except when I try to turn on the engine with the start button it won't start. Then everything shuts off like before I'm at a loss. But eeriely I been having problems like the previous poster with topping of gas issues because the car doesn't know when to stop pumping gas sometimes when full and a few times the car spewed out some fuel. I'm not sure if that is related to my recent stall incident but I've plans to driving from san jose back home to los angeles tomorrow on labor day and I'm scared to. What if the car stalls on mountain freeway over pass and it stalls and lose steering and brakes. I don't know if the dealer is even open labor day. What should I do? help!

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Apr 022014

The brakes light have failed more than once and now don't work at all... I looked deeper into the issue and it looks like a diode needs to be replaced. This needs to be a recall it is a major safety issue and has happened to numerous owners.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Oct 282013

Genesis 6-cyl

While driving my 2009 Hyundai Genesis I was motioned by driver behind me of no brake lights I quickly pulled over and engine running and sure enough my cousin who was with me said I had no brake lights, I the went to the nearest auto parts place turned engine off, and asked the manager what to do.his suggestion was check the fuses, which I did, they where that point I decided to drive home, car won't start won't come out of park and warned steering locked.I then called roadside assistance provided free of charge by Hyundai.the driver of the tow truck could not start the car could not turn wheel he then when under the dash broke steering lock mechanism and was able to turn the wheel, car still wont start.after all the repairs where done I was charged $1461.01 for replacement of lock assembly, diode, bolt safety lock, wire jumper.I feel this all thing was due to brake light failure and the rest of the damage by the tow truck driver.we are in litigation.

- Westbury, NY, USA

May 162014

Genesis 8-cyl

I have encounter this problem multiple time with this vehicle through out my ownership. I bought the vehicle new and have encountered lost of brake lights repeatedly. I am usually informed during a scheduled maintenance that I have no brake lights. The service department replace the Z01 diode, but it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, because I've had this part replaced repeatedly due to lost of brake lights. The lost of brake lights is a very danger situation for all drivers that could result in crash, injury and fatalities. This seems to be a common issue with Hyundai Genesis vehicles per my investigation online.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jul 202013

Genesis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, he depressed the brake pedal but it went to the floorboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the ABS module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000. The VIN was unavailable. VIN added* smch updated 10/31/13 the consumer also stated the electronics started to malfunction. The bluetooth would continuously disconnect the navigation system would freeze.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jun 162012

Genesis 6-cyl

Recurrent/ongoing brakes lights failure since June 2012 (brake lamp diode blows out frequently causing brake lamps to be inoperative). Spongy brakes. Have to pump and push harder than normal on brake pedal to stop. Car serviced at tameron Hyundai dealer in B'ham, al (states ESC hydraulic module internal valve malfunction, needs replacement).....updated 05/20/14 the consumer no longer owns this vehicle. The vehicle was voluntarily released to the creditor and was sold April 2014. The consumer does not know if the vehicle was repaired. Updated 05/28/2014

- Hoover, AL, USA

Sep 272012

All brake lights failed no indication to operator

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Jan 202012

Genesis 6-cyl

Driving on the freeway and the throttle just cuts off, no throttle power. Car is still running. Quickly had to pull over on to the side of the road and had to shut car off and then restarted it. It worked but it continues to happen. It happened seven times in one day, with my child in the car. At one point there wasn't a shoulder to pull over to I had to stop in the middle of the freeway. Hyundai has no recall for this issue. I find that strange since this could be a serious issue. The ESC and check engine light comes on.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Mar 312011

Genesis 8-cyl

(electrial issues) reported to dealer that radio crackles and stop working as well as the blue tooth that only works maybe 1/8 of the time. They found "no problems" (on my first of 5 trips to the dealer within 7 months back up camera stopped working. (replaced) steering wheel stuck up in the high position driver seat cushion buckled and had to be replaced, (replaced in Feb 2011) fuel gauge/warning light failed which caused me to run out of gas. (no warning lights came on and the miles to go states I had 56 miles) part is on order for radio or radio replaced not sure as of 9/27/11. Hoping all this will also fix the blue tooth as the dealer states this is no problem. Dash light go out. So after only 7 months of owning this car, the car has been back to the dealer at least 5 times (with problems), the most recent, 9/26/11 I took car in and told them to keep it until all fixed (they have had the cars for 3 days so far). The problem is that it is electrical and unless they see it they can't fix it. With each of failure this car has I would document with a picture to proved I wasn't crazy!! so whats the deal with the blue tooth, its not my phone as it is paired and connected. The only way it will work is that if I unpair my phone while in the car before starting, start the car, pair the phone, connect the phone, wait 5 min and I might get lucky than it will work. I can dial thru the car, shows who I dialing, my phone say blue tooth on, but will not work, display pad, will show repeated that the call has ended, and flash back and forth to dial pad and message call has ended, while I had to switch from blue tooth to speaker and talk directly to hand held phone. When a call comes my phone rings, the speaker in the car rings, but the bluetooth is unable to P/U the car. So frustating!

- San Miguel, CA, USA

May 022011

Traveling to Indiana from North Carolina on the 6th of May 2011. On a rural road traveling approximately 55 mph, all of a sudden the engine light and ESC warning lights came on. After that when I pressed on the accelerator, there was no power. Electricity was still there and the engine was still on, but no power from the gas pedal. I had to turn the emergency lights on and moved onto the side. I was lucky because there weren't many cars around. It would have been pretty dangerous if there were cars around and my car suddenly stopped. I was able to turn the car off and restart. When I restarted the car the engine light remained on but I had regain the ability to accelerate. I pulled into a hotel and called Hyundai. The closest dealer was gaddis Hyundai of muncie, Indiana. The service department was closing but I discussed with technician. He indicated that it was common problem with the throttle sensor. He indicated that he would be able to fix it Monday, but that if the light went off and it was running ok, it may never happen again. I told him that I need to be durham, nc on Monday. He indicated that if it happen again. To turn off and restart and it should reset. On my way back from Indiana to North Carolina I stayed in the right hand lane. On 4 separate occasions the vehicle lost power and I was unable to accelerate. Each time I was able to pull over to the side of the road, turn the vehicle off, wait a few minutes and then restart and continue. The car is currently at the stevenson Hyundai dealership in jacksonville, nc. Here is a forum web site that reflects similar problem identified on numerous occasions related to the Hyundai Genesis V6 and V8.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

May 122009

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated all of the electrical lights would intermittently fail without warning. The failure would include the interior lights, dashboard warning lights and exterior lighting. The dealer replaced the wiring harness on the vehicle, but the repair did not correct the failure. The failure mileage was 4,000 and the current mileage was 20,000.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA