2.9

2009 Hyundai Genesis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Genesis:

2009 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Jul 212014

Genesis 8-cyl

In July,2014, I was told by another driver that the stop lights were not functioning; I immediately took the vehicle to my local mechanic after my Hyundai dealer told me that it was not covered under my warranty. It was corrected the next day after my car was left until fixed. I was just notified by NHTSA that a recall ( campaign # 14V713) was just issued for faulty stoplight problem. I called my local Hyundai dealer to see about re-imbursement and was told that there wasn't a recall issued yet for this problem and was given the # for customer care. I just got off the phone with Hyundai motor America and was told that the recall was being worked on ( campaign 125) and that I would be receiving a letter in the future. I asked if that would be in days, weeks, months or years, he said he did not know. Remember the brake fluid recall ! now here we go again...........a safety issue but not a serious issue for Hyundai. You would think that an immediate notification would go out to each dealer so every vehicle that they service could be brought to the dealer for immediate corrective action. This could prevent a future rear collision and possible injury/ death. Is this yet another industry stone walling of a" safety issue " ie key switch and air bag. Hopefully a fellow Genesis owner will not have a serious rear end collision in the near future.

- Southport, NC, USA

Nov 262013

Genesis 6-cyl

Was traveling on vacation and was notified by another motorist that I had no brake lights. Took to dealer and they replaced stop lamp switch (#13-01-021-3). Vehicle was still under warranty and no cost for repair. Dealership did not indicate that there was a recall or service bulletin on this part or with this issue. Had a second incident, similar as the first only this time the brake lights flickered when brake was applied. I was nearly rear ended by a motorist and then was stopped at a light by that motorist to tell me of the issue. The following day I smelled a very heavy electrical smell when I started the vehicle. I again took the vehicle to the dealership and they fixed the same stop lamp switch (diode) at no cost. However, the dealer said they had not had any Genesis in for a second time with this issue. The service manager suggested that I was "riding the brake" and suggested that this might cause the issue. Again, there was no mention by the dealership that there was a recall or service bulletin for this issue.

- Danville, IN, USA

Oct 272014

Genesis 6-cyl

All 3 brake lights stopped working. My wife driving behind me discovered the problem. This is the 2nd time of the same problem. (the 1st incident was also reported to NHTSA.) the first time dealer fixed it, it's a burnt diode. Afterward a recall service was performed about brake light. Apparently none fixed the real issue. I am an electric engineer and I guess it was a common design mistake: The designer didn't count momentary high current from cold light bulb when choosing the component.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Jul 092014

Genesis 6-cyl

Brake lights quit working entirely. There was a recall on the brake switch on this vehicle which was replaced on 12/08/13. Seven months later there is a problem with the brake lights and the service manager is telling me now it is a led diode. This diode, Z01, seems to be a problem. I did not have any issues with my brake lights before the recall work was done and, I've own this car since it was new, now 7 months later I have a brake light issue. This is a serious matter and should be rectified.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Nov 082011

Genesis 6-cyl

The brake lights repeatedly do not work and there is no warning to driver on dash board. This has now occurred three time: November 8, 2011 April 20, 2013 June 16, 2014.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Genesis

The brakes light have failed more than once and now don't work at all... I looked deeper into the issue and it looks like a diode needs to be replaced. This needs to be a recall it is a major safety issue and has happened to numerous owners.

- Crofton, MD, USA

May 162014

Genesis 8-cyl

I have encounter this problem multiple time with this vehicle through out my ownership. I bought the vehicle new and have encountered lost of brake lights repeatedly. I am usually informed during a scheduled maintenance that I have no brake lights. The service department replace the Z01 diode, but it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, because I've had this part replaced repeatedly due to lost of brake lights. The lost of brake lights is a very danger situation for all drivers that could result in crash, injury and fatalities. This seems to be a common issue with Hyundai Genesis vehicles per my investigation online.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Sep 012011

Genesis 8-cyl

No brake lights when brake applied! I was told by passing car that almost rear ended me. I was completely unaware how long it had been like that as there was no indicator light..... updated 10-17-13 the consumer has since traded the vehicle.

- Crestwood, KY, USA

Mar 212013

Genesis

To my surprise I was stopped by a police officer in March 2013 because none of the brake lights were working. He issued a fix-it ticket. I took the car to a Hyundai dealership and they replaced a diode to fix the problem. Now less than six months later on August 31, 2013 I was told by another driver that my brake lights were not working (again). I took it to a Hyundai dealership and they replaced the diode again. Despite my asking why the brake lights keep failing, Hyundai dealership did not provide an explanation. This is dangerous because the vehicle operator has no knowledge of when the brake lights stop working and it could result in my vehicle being rear ended. I have no idea how long I was driving both times w/O brake lights working.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Aug 302013

Genesis 8-cyl

This is the second time brake lights failed. No indication to driver. Almost caused an accident. Same diode package replaced as the first failure reported less than a year ago and 5 K miles. Updated 10/22/13 the consumer statedall brake lights fail including the right, left and center.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Jun 152013

None of the brake light works when brake applied. Updated 10/22/13

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Mar 312011

Genesis 8-cyl

(electrial issues) reported to dealer that radio crackles and stop working as well as the blue tooth that only works maybe 1/8 of the time. They found "no problems" (on my first of 5 trips to the dealer within 7 months back up camera stopped working. (replaced) steering wheel stuck up in the high position driver seat cushion buckled and had to be replaced, (replaced in Feb 2011) fuel gauge/warning light failed which caused me to run out of gas. (no warning lights came on and the miles to go states I had 56 miles) part is on order for radio or radio replaced not sure as of 9/27/11. Hoping all this will also fix the blue tooth as the dealer states this is no problem. Dash light go out. So after only 7 months of owning this car, the car has been back to the dealer at least 5 times (with problems), the most recent, 9/26/11 I took car in and told them to keep it until all fixed (they have had the cars for 3 days so far). The problem is that it is electrical and unless they see it they can't fix it. With each of failure this car has I would document with a picture to proved I wasn't crazy!! so whats the deal with the blue tooth, its not my phone as it is paired and connected. The only way it will work is that if I unpair my phone while in the car before starting, start the car, pair the phone, connect the phone, wait 5 min and I might get lucky than it will work. I can dial thru the car, shows who I dialing, my phone say blue tooth on, but will not work, display pad, will show repeated that the call has ended, and flash back and forth to dial pad and message call has ended, while I had to switch from blue tooth to speaker and talk directly to hand held phone. When a call comes my phone rings, the speaker in the car rings, but the bluetooth is unable to P/U the car. So frustating!

- San Miguel, CA, USA