2013 Hyundai Genesis brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Genesis:

2013 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Aug 162016

Genesis

While slowing down to a stop at a stop sign at 15mph the car locked up and I couldn't turn the wheel, press the brake, and the vehicle wouldn't even accelerate when it rolled to a stop. All the lights on the dash lit up and stayed lit up. The car was in drive and wasn't moving. I took a video of my foot off of the gas and the car in drive and it wasn't moving. Also shown in the video I took I show all the lights lit up on the dash. This is the 2nd time this has happened with my family in the car, wife and two kids. I am very concerned since this our daily driver and always has our children in the vehicle that this will happen while on the interstate and possibly cause us to get in a very bad accident. I also could not put the car into park. I had to press the on off button and shut the car completely off and restart it for it to do anything. But both times it happened luckily no vehicles were in front of me because I was unable to do anything to stop the car it had to roll to a stop and both times it was at 15-20mph. It was in a street turning out of a development. I have found in forums that I am not the only person with the issue and that someone had their crank shaft censor replaced and hadn't had any issies for several months since, but theirs was occuring up to 10X a week before that replacement. There were several other affected parts I was unable to select... it seemed you were only able to select 3 affected parts.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 012014

Genesis

I originally bought my 2013 Hyundai Genesis as a certified pre-owned vehicle from a dealer in Georgia. From August 2014 to present (August 2015), the vehicle has stalled/cut off unexpectedly on 8 different occasions, 7 times while driving at speeds between 5 mph and 45 mph, and once while sitting idle in park. When stalling, the steering wheel tightens and/or locks which makes it extremely difficult to steer, the brakes harden which make it extremely difficult to stop, and the dash lights up with various symbols and indicators much like it would if it only had power but without the engine started. To get the car going again, I have to come to a stop, put the car into park, push the start/stop button, and the vehicle starts again. On the 7th time of the car stalling, my wife was making a right hand turn when the vehicle cut off. She nearly plowed into a vehicle that was stopped at the light making a left hand turn onto the street she was coming from, and then nearly caused a 3 car pile-up behind her because of her unexpected braking and sudden loss of control of the car. As of right now we are afraid to drive the car any longer. We have taken it to the dealer 3 times now. On the first visit back in October 2014, they cleaned the fuel injection and throttle body, saying that maybe we had a bad batch of gas that left carbon deposits. They kept our car for a week. They were unable to replicate the problem. Fast forward several months and here we are again at the dealer for time number two. This time they kept it for about 12 days and did another cleaning of the fuel injection and throttle body. They were unable to replicate the problem. Last Friday, August 14th 2014, 3 days after getting it back from the dealer, it stalled again. We refused to drive it that weekend, and I drove it only to bring it back to the dealer this past Monday August 17th. We do not feel safe

- Lexington, SC, USA

Feb 012015

Genesis

Vehicle became stuck in snow. After disengaging the traction control to allow vehicle to get unstuck as recommended by owners manual and attempting to get the vehicle unstuck with mild acceleration, rear rotors became so hot they were glowing orange and on fire! Hyundai initially denied platinum warranty claim as "abuse and weather". attempting to work resolution with them to fix my vehicle which sustained approximately $3000 in damage to rear brake system from fire.

- Milford, MI, USA

Jul 072013

Genesis

While traveling at the posted highway speed I had the cruise control engaged when suddenly the car lurched, then surged. I started/tried to use the brakes to slow the car. That didn't work. I tried to disengage the cruise control...that didn't work....car kept speeding up till I hit a massive rv at 90mph. I was knocked unconscious, taken by ambulance to a trauma center, and later learned that none of the many airbags that this car had did not deploy. I am truly blessed having survived this accident. There needs to be better vehicles with better working systems to protect us. I will not rent another Hyundai ever again!!

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Apr 262013

Genesis 4-cyl

Travel on county road lost control of the car hit the brakes and car would not stop crashed into a fence and had damage on front and both side of the car and the air bags did not deploy. The car was considered a total lost by the insurance company but I would like an investigation about the airbags.

- Farmersville, TX, USA

Dec 292013

Genesis 4-cyl

This happened to me several times but the last time killed the car. I was tapped on the rear bumper getting on the freeway and was in a full counter lock slide and the ABS did not stop the car. Instead of stopping on the shoulder of the freeway the car shot around and launched me into traffic. I was mashing on the brakes as hard as I could but the car would not stop or slow down. I was hit by a BMW and the car was totaled. I?M lucky to be alive. The ABS needs to be recalibrated or repaired to prevent this from happening to others.

- La Palma, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Genesis

From driving through snow (with newer tires), the wheels became hot enough to be literally on fire and glowing red. Dealer says the E.T.C. malfunctioned but Hyundai refuses responsibility.

- Erie, PA, USA

Feb 122014

Genesis 4-cyl

The vehicle sets brakes when I accelerate and brings my car to a stop. It will not release the brakes. When the vehicle comes to a stop the vehicle won't move. Yesterday it occurred twice and the second time a female contact her husband and he told her to have me pump the brakes to see if they release. The brakes released. The traction control on the dash figure came on and would not clear. I believe it has be something wrong with that feature on the vehicle. A very dangerous fault.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Sep 122013

Genesis 6-cyl

I was stopped at a red light in the left turn lane. All of a sudden I was rolling forward while my foot was firm on the brake. I was able to press the brake even further, but I kept rolling forward until I crashed into the car in front of me. Thankfully, it was a very sturdy truck with a trailer hitch. I have damage to my grill where the hitch hit my car. The brake pressed to the floor and did not stop my car from rolling forward. I was able to drive the car to the closest parking lot in that intersection. I waited for a tow to the dealership. The brakes seemed to work fine again; the service department told me there was nothing wrong with my car or its brakes. I left the car with the mechanic to drive home and continue to test it to reenact the problem. When I googled "Hyundai Genesis brake failure", there were a few other instances of this issue. I am so scared to drive my car again.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 072013

Genesis

I had 2 accidents on 7/7/2013. One low speed rear end collision with a mini-van. The other was a high speed rear end collision with large rv. Both times I had the cruise control engaged, and could not stop the vehicle using the car's brake pedal system. I was eventually taken to an er, then admitted to an icu ward. I sustained a concussion, bruises, and abrasions. Most of what happened in the high speed collision are of temporary moments of memories due to the concussion and loss of consciousness. I am quite upset to have gone through these accidents with a new 2013 Hyundai Genesis that was rented from enterprise rental car from logan airport in boston mass. There was no airbag deployment in either accident. Car was towed away and do not currently know the VIN of the vehicle that I am reporting.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA