6.6

2013 Hyundai Genesis drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Genesis:

2013 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Sep 222015

Genesis

I am having this same problem! except this will be my 3rd time getting it replaced. Hyundai will replace it under warranty, but what happens when it runs out and I'm still constantly replacing it. I have replaced it at 16,000 miles, then at 34,000 miles and now at 54,000. If you notice, there is a trend. Corporate really doesn't help, they just tell me it's covered and everything is fine, in reality that's not true. I have no where else to turn to have this problem fixed for long term driving, and I know I'm not the only one. Thank you for your time. *: when shifting into 5th or 6th gear on the manual transmission for the 3.8L Hyundai Genesis coupe 2013, it grinds horribly. Clutch is fully depressed and still grinds. Multiple threads on gencoupe.com have been started with other users mentioning the same thing. I hope that a recall of the transmission will take place as Hyundai dealers are hit or miss when asking for it to be covered under warranty. I hope this complaint does not go on deaf ears as this is a major issue. They revised the manual transmission in 2014 recognizing this defect but left prior owners out in the cold. Thank you for reading this.**

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 072015

Genesis

When shifting into 5th or 6th gear on the manual transmission for the 3.8L Hyundai Genesis coupe 2013, it grinds horribly. Clutch is fully depressed and still grinds. Multiple threads on gencoupe.com have been started with other users mentioning the same thing. I hope that a recall of the transmission will take place as Hyundai dealers are hit or miss when asking for it to be covered under warranty. I hope this complaint does not go on deaf ears as this is a major issue. They revised the manual transmission in 2014 recognizing this defect but left prior owners out in the cold. Thank you for reading this.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Oct 172014

Genesis

We were at an intersection on highway 1. cars were driving by at the speed limit of 55mph so it was important that we accelerate quickly in order to turn left onto the highway and avoid being hit by oncoming traffic. When it was time to go I stepped on the accelerator, the car began to move and then we experienced engine hesitation, where there was a momentary period where the engine did not respond to me stepping on the accelerator. I reacted by stepping on the accelerator completely to the bottom and still had no response - we were coasting. I completely backed off the accelerator and stepped on it again when the engine finally began to respond. Vehicles were fast approaching and in that moment I felt scared and lost trust in my car's functionality. Earlier that day I also noticed that when accelerating, when already moving, I noticed that the transmission felt like it would wobble. It's difficult to describe. It felt like very subtle momentary losses of power or acceleration followed by a recovery in the acceleration and then repeating but in quick succession. You would only notice it if you owned the car. I have not been able to duplicate it. Maybe it was the traction control system but being unable to accelerate in a situation like mine was very dangerous.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 152014

Genesis 6-cyl

Multiple times I have accelerated the car to get onto the highway, change lanes quickly, and make right on reds, only to have it literally do nothing. At times it takes 2 to 3 seconds before it accelerates and then seems to have a tough time shifting through the gears.at low speeds the car seems to hesitate and shift poorly. Hopefully the dealer can do something to correct the issue.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Apr 072014

Genesis

In the morning around 9am going to work on 405 North. All the sudden I started to lose power, engine was still running but didn't accelerate at all, I came to stop end up blocking on of right lane and noticed engine sound was unusual and started shaking a lot. I called Hyundai roadside assistance and my car was picked up and dropped to a kirkland Hyundai dealer but they didn't find anything unusual. Service shop personal claim that car started right up and didn't find anything from diagnostics test. This incident makes me very nervous to drive this car.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Aug 152013

Genesis 8-cyl

Driving 20 mph in heavy traffic lost power for approximately 3 seconds while changing from left to right lane.

- Island Lake, IL, USA

Mar 062013

Genesis 6-cyl

Auto hesitates when accelerated hard; it falls flat on its face when called on to perform. Not sure if it is engine or transmission (wrong gear). I consider this a safety issue because one cannot get out of the way of oncoming traffic. Typically, when attempting to exit a slow moving (30-40 mph) traffic lane into fast lane, the car temporarily stalls putting driver at risk of being hit in rear. This almost always happens where car is moving as slow speed, but rarely from a dead stop.

- Temecula, CA, USA

May 072013

Genesis

When accelerating at low speeds (specially on freeways) the transmission experiences a delayed shift between gears 3-5. the shift delay typically lasts 2-3 seconds. This causes the rpms to increase to 3000-4500. Driver has to heavily accelerate to enable the transmission to up shift. In addition, this causes the rear tires to spin if ESC is turned off making it difficult to control the vehicle. Vehicle lunges forward suddenly as if the computer got the required information to accelerate this causes sudden forward moment.car was taken to the dealer, they found no issues.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 182013

Genesis

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that the engine started making an abnormally loud noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that there was a manufacturing defect in the transmission, which needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered to extend the warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 700.

- Hercules, CA, USA

Nov 142012

Genesis

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk violently while driving approximately 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers who replaced the computer system and also the transmission twice. The vehicle continued to jerk violently however, the dealer still could not find the problem. The manufacturer was notified who continued to send her to various dealers who could not duplicate the problem. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Roosevelt, NY, USA

Aug 072012

Genesis 6-cyl

When accelerating at low speeds the transmission experiences a delayed shift between gears 3-5. the shift delay typically lasts 3-4 seconds. This causes the rpms to increase to 3000-4000. Driver has to heavily accelerate to enable the transmission to upshift. In addition, this causes the rear tires to spin making it difficult to control the vehicle.

- Rockbridge Baths, VA, USA