3.2

2001 Hyundai Sonata drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Hyundai Sonata:

2001 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

May 292010

Sonata

I came to a complete stop after driving only 10mph, my engine cradle dropped down there for smashing through my front axel, and turning in both of my front wheels. Not realizing what happened I continued to drive to a repair shop. Both tires popped. I called a tow truck and paid an outrageous amount to get a tow to a repair shop. I was without a car for 2 weeks while they replied my vehicle which cost me almost $1,300. My insure company would not total out my vehicle because they said it was due to salt corrosion and rust (ware and tear). Did I mention I was on vacation when this happened? $$$. now my transmission is trouble shooting somehow (151,000 miles). It's having trouble switching gears and it hits pretty hard when it finally does. I have to turn the car off and turn it back on, sometimes this helps sometimes it does. My RPM shot up to 4 or 5 which burns gas like crazy. The rust on the rear wheel wells and bottom is unfixible. Steering wheel shakes really bad at speeds 60+. my rear struts are rusted and need replaced.

- Girard, OH, USA

Feb 012011

Sonata 4-cyl

When I accelerate from a stand still, ( stop sign, stop light, etc. ) the car frequently hesitates before it starts moving, which makes it dangerous not knowing if you are going get across a street before traffic gets to you. I have had the car in many times to the dealer, but they have failed to find the problem. But they have done many expensive repairs that had no effect on the hesitation. I see from other bulletins that I am not the only one having this problem.

- Bismarck, ND, USA