2002 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Sonata:

2002 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Sep 152016

Sonata

Corrosion of the front sub-frame. EA08016 front sub-frame corrosion. You issued a recall for "salt-belt" states, I live in northern Virginia with the same salt issue as DC and West Virginia.

- Herndon, VA, USA

May 252016

Sonata

The vehicle started making a noise and driving weird. It looked like one tire was pointed straight and the other tire turned slightly. I stopped at a gas station to see what was wrong and they said the a frame was almost rusted into. I had already had the metal in the rear of the car replaced from being rusted out near were the shock attaches. I have researched and seen where several Sonatas have been recalled due to severe rust issues. The body even has been rusting badly. The bigger concern is the frame. I am afraid to drive it now. Do not know what recourse I have. This happened while driving. The car is now parked and am afraid to move it, even to a garage.

- Langley, KY, USA

Jun 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. While coming to a stop, the front subframe fractured from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V124000 (suspension). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,856.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jul 012008

Sonata

The chrome plating on the interior door handles peeled away and cut passenger's hands. In 2009 the handles were "repaired" by a Hyundai dealer, but by 2013 the chrome plating was again beginning to peel away and cut passenger hands. Hyundai America and the dealer both claim the problem is resolved, and there is only a 12 month warranty. I believe it is improper to claim an issue subject to a recall would be "fixed" by creating the same hazard with the same parts. This issue is referred to as "Hyundai recall no. 093" in www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/owners/searchresults?searchtype=id&targetcategory=R&searchcriteria.nhtsa_ids=09V171000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 202014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that a certified mechanic inspected the vehicle and found the inner body and rear subframe severely corroded the corrosion spread to the passenger area. NHTSA campaign number 09V124000 suspension was performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 161,000.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 152010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when she took her vehicle for routine maintenance, she learned there was corrosion under the body of the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000 and the approximate current mileage was 89,000.

- Cincinnati , OH, USA

Mar 042013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would veer to the right and would also fail to shift into gear. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the front passenger side axle was fractured due to corrosion of the frame. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 184,000. Updated 5/7/13 the consumer stated the repair cost was reimbursed. 05/17/2013

- Louisville , KY, USA

May 012005

Sonata

Re. door handles: All four door handles have silver paint peeling. Car is 2002 Hyundai Sonata. Am taking car to dealership next week for estimate to replace handles. Paint job of Sonata is perfect except for all four door handles.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Jul 172005

Sonata 4-cyl

On July 26th, 2005, I was meeting a co-worker for lunch when I noticed that the paint on the front facia covering the bumper on my 2002 Hyundai Sonata was bubbling and starting to peel. After work that same day, I attempted to contact the salesperson who sold me the vehicle at the dealership. I spoke the service manager and had him walk out to inspect the facia. His first question to me was whether I had the vehicle repainted. I told him I had not! he then asked me if I have ever brought my car to a touchless car wash, which I have for many, many years here in town. He then stated that because of the 7500 psi caused by the high pressure water that they were not at fault and that it was not a manufacturer defect. I asked why this was not occurring on the body of the car or on the rear facia, and he stated that he did not know. Dissatisfied with this response, I called Hyundai motor America in fountain valley, ca at 800-633-5151 that evening (8/5/05) and spoke with a gentleman. After telling him of the situation, he then stated that I should try to get the car fixed at another dealership! on Monday, August 8th, I received a phone call from Hyundai motor America representative, who stated that the dealership was not going to remedy this situation. I received a response from the BBB auto line dated August 30th, stating that my vehicle exceeded the mileage requirements for filing with their program. My vehicle had 27,500 miles at the time of the complaint. Apparently, the BBB auto line agreement with Hyundai is to only accept claims within two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first (see document Hyundai-NY 8/2000). Hyundai warranty expressly states warranty against paint defects for 3 years, 36,000 miles. I have submitted a complaint to the nys attorney generals office as of 9/7/2005.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA