2002 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Sonata:

2002 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jan 132003

Sonata 4-cyl

On cold mornings where the temperature would drop below 30, I was experiencing a loss of brake ability. This would only happen the first time I drove the car in the morning and always on the second or third tap of the brake pedal. I went to my dealership in November/December 2002 and they drained the brake line and told me it was fixed. It was not and I had to go back. This last time I could not stop in traffic and had to roll thru a busy intersection. The brake pedal would actually freeze up or lock in the "up" position in the car, therefore not allowing me to press down to stop. The emergency brake would work. My dealer had the car for more than a week before he was able to find the problem and fix it this second time. I believe he said it was a defect in a specific part. He told me "booster vacuum line check valve frozen shut" and he replaced the booster hose. If this was a manufacturers defect, I am concerned other Sonata owners may experience this problem and I felt I should report this to your Agency.

- Kansas City, MO, USA