5.7

2002 Hyundai Sonata fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Sonata:

2002 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jul 012008

Sonata

No concern with incident. Concern with defects with fuel tanks and fuel tank functions.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 072005

Sonata 4-cyl

We have been having the car 4 years when we first got the car there was a strong gas smell and still does when we took it to dealership. They couldn't find problem. Know I find this so now I know what the problem is and I'm trying to take care of it.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Oct 102007

Sonata 6-cyl

On 10/10/07 my wife drove approximately 8 miles home from work and parked her 2002 Hyundai Sonata in the garage. About 5 minutes later she noticed the smell of gasoline in the house, and returned to the garage to investigate. Gas was pouring from the gas tank fill door on the car. The garage floor had a 6' diameter puddle under the car. She opened the garage door and backed the car out onto the driveway and positioned a catch pan under the car. Approximately 1/2 gallon of gas was in the pan after she opened the filler cap to relieve the pressure. The car had less than 3/4 tank of gas at the time. We delivered the car the dealer that night for repair. They returned the car on 10/12 after replacing a canister and valve assembly under warranty. This is the second time this has happened, with the first time being approximately 18 months earlier, also covered under warranty. We feel very lucky that we didn't have an explosion or fire, which would have been a likely event with the amount of raw gas and fumes in the garage had we had a gas water heater. It is now four days later and we still have not gotten the smell of gasoline out of the house and garage. My wife is also afraid to park the car in the garage. Just to add to the whole experience, the service writer was rude to my wife when she picked up the car, and we now have a dent in the left rear door.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA