2003 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Sonata:

2003 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Mar 012007

Sonata

Two of the inside door handles have a silver metallic foil that has split and come loose. My son cut his finger opening the door. Now the driver door inside handle also has the silver foil coming loose. We have had to put tape on it to prevent getting another cut finger.

- Orland Hills, IL, USA

Jul 052008

Sonata

Within one year of buying my Hyundai 2003 sonnta, I cut my finger on the silver coated inside door handle on the driver side. The silver coating of the door handle somehow splintered and cut my finger like a straight razor blade. The cut was very deep and my finger bled profusely for about 10 or 15 minutes. I contacted the dealer and the handle was replaced. A short time after, my husband sliced his finger on the passenger side inside door handle. Again the cut was very deep; it was like a straight razor cut. His finger bled profusely for 10 - 15 minutes. Again the dealer replaced the handle. Back in November of 2007, someone was getting out of the back seat, and then this person cut her finger on the silver coated inside door handle. This time I contacted Hyundai headquarters and told them about the problem..the rep. I spoke to said she did not hear of any similiar problems. They contacted the car dealer and the handle was replaced. Now a couple of weeks ago, I cut my hand on the passenger door handle (this was a handle that had previously been replaced). I contacted Hyundai again and am awaiting disposition on this. There is something very wrong with these door handles. The cut it causes is like a straight razor cut. It slices deep and it bleeds very badly. I told Hyundai that I am sure I am not the only person to experience this serious problem. In fact, I searched the internet and found there are other people that have the same problem with these door handles. This is a very serious problem that I think the gov. Needs to get involved with. Thank you maria facchin thank you maria facchin

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Oct 022006

Sonata 6-cyl

Driver door alarm keeps alarming. I took it in to the dealer once already to be repaired. The service manager at this time told me that on this model the door needs to be tightened/adjusted. Now 2 months later the same thing is happening only worse. Now the door light is coming on and the light on the dash board is coming on. Maybe the door is defective and going to fall off.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA