2.4

2004 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Hyundai Sonata:

2004 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jun 112015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that there was premature rusting on the undercarriage and subframe of the vehicle, which progressed over time in the front and the rear. The vehicle failed inspection. The mechanic found holes, extensive rust, and corrosion to the point that the frame could fracture. The frame needed to be replaced due to the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V124000 (suspension). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was not available.

- Utica, NY, USA

Jul 192014

Sonata

When having my car aligned, a technician showed me that the right front subframe is rusted through. Supposedly Hyundai fixed this 5 years ago, with one of two fixes: Either replacement or drilling drainage holes and apply a rust protector. One can see a hole drilled on the left subframe but not the right side. Besides my car, one has to ask: Did Hyundai really do anything to fix this situation or did they act like they did? a car rusting through the frame in five years is unheard of, and I fear others might have this same problem. Hyundai does not want to talk to me.

- West Lebanon, IN, USA

Jun 282014

Sonata 6-cyl

Car failed pa inspection because of run on the sub frame dealer says its not covered under recall.

- East Petersburg, PA, USA

Jun 062013

Sonata 6-cyl

I took my 2004 Sonata for inspection and was told that it would not pass due to a large hole from corrosion in front passenger subframe near control arm bolt costing $1200 to fix. After finding out that this was recalled and I was never notified, I contacted Hyundai and was told that my car was covered (I am in so-called "salt belt"). when I called the dealer back, I was told that my VIN is not included in the recall. The dealer then called Hyundai and dealer called me back stating that Hyundai would not cover. This hole can get larger and potentially cause the wheel to fall off while driving. My approx mileage is only 42K. Why is it not covered"!?!?!" I'm getting the run around.

- Horsham, PA, USA