2004 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Hyundai Sonata:

2004 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012016

Sonata

10-01-2016 air bag light came on, while stationary and stayed on while driving.

- Auburn, MA, USA

Sep 152016

Sonata

Takata recall. Air bag light will not go off. I am told that in order to correct the problem, it will cost nearly 2300 dollars since the passenger seat must be replaced

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 042016

Sonata

My air bag light came on when I was driving, the light will not go off, until I turn the car off.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 052016

Air bag like

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 072014

Sonata

Takata recall. My air bag light is on and can't be cleared.

- Valley Center, CA, USA

Mar 022013

Sonata

My air bag light came on in my car. I took my car to the Hyundai dealer at southtowne Hyundai in riverdale Georgia and they didn't call the manufacturer about my car. My car was hit T-bone on the driver's side front head light and the airbags didn't deploy.I asked the dealer several times to call because my airbag light should not come on by itself. The dealer just wanted me to pay over $500 to get it repaired. I wanted to know at anytime was the airbag model for my car recalled and Hyundai kept it a secret.this is the second Hyundai I have purchased. I called my car my Jaguar.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Mar 112015

Sonata

The air bag warning light started out intermittently for about 15 starts it was off and on. Then around 03/11/2004 it came on and stayed on.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Mar 012013

Sonata

Airbag light stays on. An internet search indicates that this is a chronic problem with 2014 Sonatas, but Hyundai has failed to issue a recall. There is, however, a recall for the 2013 Sonatas. Don't understand why there is not a recall. I purchased my car early in 2004 year. Many parts are carryovers from the previous year.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jan 272015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the driver side air bag light illuminated while the seat was occupied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Nov 112014

Sonata 4-cyl

We own a 2004 Hyundai Sonata (109,000 miles) we had a front end collision with significant damage. Me and my wife suffered minor injuries and the airbags did not deploy. We found out on the internet that there are frequent complaints if this failure around the nation and also in many Hyundai models across multiple years. We are filing the complaint since the error is critical and seems to be systemic in Hyundai vehicles. We do not know if NHTSA handles cars that are over 100,000 miles but we felt a complaint was warranted since the consequence of the error is so extreme. We fear for our safety with this vehicle now! being a disabled veteran, on a fixed income, we find it difficult to accept that Hyundai takes no responsibility for this problem. Its not easy for us to replace the car.

- Burlington, NC, USA

May 052014

Sonata

All of sudden the air bag icon is continuously on. All fuses for air bags have been changed and problem still exist. The company states that they have not heard about this problem and there is no recall. But reading internet blogs there appears that this problem does occur on this model when it reaches the 100,000 mile limit. What is my recourse to have them correct this problem without financial problem. Thanks

- Westbury, NY, USA

Jul 062014

Sonata

My wife somehow got her foot caught in her sandal and trying to get it unstuck hit a concrete light pole. The airbag shot white powder out, light went on to show air bag went off but it never deployed. Had it been a worse accident fatal injury could have occurred because of faulty airbag not deploying yet showing it did by all symptoms such as the light, white powder and the seat belt cannot be moved and will not operate. This is a safety issue no matter if under warranty or not.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Apr 232014

Sonata 6-cyl

The air bag light came on and will not go out. Afraid to call dealer since repair could cost close to $500.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 102013

• 1,474,700 miles
Air bag light illuminated, called the dealer to ask about a recall they said none were issued, however it needed to get looked at because there could be a defect. And the possibility that the air bags could deploy on their own at any time or not deploy at all in an accident. The cost to have this problem looked at would be around $125 which would be subtracted from the cost of the repair if you chose to get it fixed by the dealer the total cost could run at least $500 I was wondering if there has been any other complaints regarding this problem.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Mar 112013

Sonata 4-cyl

The air bag light suddenly came on, and has stayed on. Looked online and found many similar complaints. There has already been an air bag recall for the 2003 Sonata. We (along with many others) are hoping that one will be issued for the 2004 model, as well. Thanks!

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Feb 222013

Sonata

I was involved in a chain reaction collision on I-10 interstate. My vehicle re-ended another vehicle and neither the driver's nor the passenger's air bags deployed. Front end damaged and insurance has totaled my car. Brakes did not seem to stop with sufficient force.

- El Paso, Texas, TX, USA

May 022005

Sonata 6-cyl

8 yr. Long chronic problem with air bag light coming on... best description we get is a harness issue under passenger front seat... last episode 12/19/11 dealer advised Hyundai no longer has replacements parts for this system... there are thousands of these models still in service how can mfg. Not continue to provide critical safety part... as of this moment the light is off but given the history the dealer said he expects it to be back on soon...

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 042011

Sonata 4-cyl

Was in a car accident on December 04 2011. I had significant front end damage to my vehicle due to someone running a stop sign. However, my airbags did not deploy on front!! only on the driver side and was not full open, very concern on safety!

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jul 022011

Sonata 4-cyl

Airbag light stays on. Has been in to dealer and other mechanics several times and has always been blamed on under the seat issues. We have spent several hundred dollars getting connections cleaned and wires reinforced. Light on again and now we have been quoted >$2000 to replace airbag assembly front passenger seat (high resistance noted). Not sure I trust the diagnosis or believe the solution. Am hesitant to invest any more in this issue when they never seem to fix it. Would like to have functioning airbags. This seems like a safety issue and something that should not require an expensive repair as the airbags have never deployed and the car is relatively new. I urge an investigation of this issue which seems to have recall merit.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 012011

Sonata

The 'airbag on' sign has been on for a while. I understand that it is a safety issue and I tried to alert the manufacturer. They do not want to take the responsibility since the recent recall excludes cars manufactured in 2004, and the car is out of its warranty period as well. I put an internet search and there are numerous complains on Hyundai Sonata airbag issues.

- Richmond, CA, USA