2005 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Sonata:

2005 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 012012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated while driving 2 mph. The light continued to illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the air bag light was reset. The failure recurred a few months later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the contact was informed that in order to diagnose the failure, the procedure would be very timely. The failure was not diagnosed and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Apr 222008

Sonata 4-cyl

Air bag light started to come on. I took it to dealership. They taped a connector under the passenger seat and the light went out they did not tell me the trouble code. Then on 11/06/08 air bag comes on again at mileage 56236. I took it back to dealership and the trouble code was B1382 and they again cleaned connectors and positioned wiring under passenger seat and the light went out. Then it came on again and we drove it approx 30000 miles. On 02/06/12 I took it to another dealership (other one closed) at 88705 miles they found trouble code B 1382 and found bad connection under passenger seat again. They repaired connection and light went out. On 04/09/12 light is back on as I write this. Why doesn't Hyundai get these problems taken care of? this seems to be an on going problem on the 2005 Sonata.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 012010

Sonata 6-cyl

Air bag lamp randomly turns on and off. Paid to have it fixed once but after several days same trouble returned. As I understand, if the air bag lamp is lit the air bags will not deploy. This would seem like a mandatory recall for a very unsafe condition.

- Hallstead, PA, USA

May 052011

Sonata

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata that was purchased new. Today the air bag light came on and has stayed on even after the ignition was turned off and then back on. After reading the many complaints about this problem and the cost of repairs by the dealers, it seems this is a defect and the cars should be recalled.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

May 022011

Sonata

2005 Hyundai Sonata air bag light on.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Dec 012004

Sonata

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the air bag light illuminated continuously on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told the light was illuminating due to wet paper towels under the seat causing corrosion. The paper towels were removed but the failure continued. The failure mileage was 18 and the current mileage was 71,000.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Nov 302010

Sonata 4-cyl

I am the sole owner of a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. Since the first year of ownership, the car's airbag light has come on intermittently. I have taken the car in multiple times for diagnosis and repair. Each time, the diagnosis is either code B1378 or B1382. Connectors are then retaped. Repairs last for only a few months before airbag light turns on again. The last "repair" lasted approximately 2 years because the service consultant suggested that I not adjust my seat forward and backward as this might loosen the wiring/connectors. For the past two years I did not adjust my seat (rather uncomfortable getting in and out of car) but the airbag light did stay off. It is now on again. Hyundai Consumer Affairs and dealership say that I need to bring the car in again for a diagnosis. They will not cover the diagnosis or repair. I have been arguing that I should not be responsible for the cost because this has been a problem from the beginning. They have never repaired the problem. Why should I bring vehicle in again for the same "diagnosis and repair" when the repair is never achieved. I am beyond frustration. Please help! my car is running with inactive airbags.

- Circle Pines, MN, USA

Dec 082010

Sonata

Airbag sensor light has turned on for no apparent reason.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Nov 022010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph when the vehicle was involved in a crash in which the air bags did not deploy. There were no reported injuries. The same failure occurred on two prior occasions in which the vehicle was involved in a crash and the air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was never taken to have the failure diagnosed but it was taken to an independent repair shop to have the body damages repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 175,000.

- Patton, PA, USA

Jan 012008

Sonata

I own a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. My airbag light has been illuminated for the last 2+years. I only have ~44,000 miles on it now. I checked the fuse, its not blown. I had my codes checked. They state I have to bring it to a dealer/mechanic for diagnoses of airbag systems. I have done some research on the internet. It appears this is a common problem with 05/06 Sonata's, which cost upwards of $1500 to diagnose/repair. I don't have the money to spare to fix a car - which is only worth about $4000 in the first place. Meanwhile, I wonder if my airbags will work if I get in an accident. I hope someone looks into the airbag problem with the 05/06 Hyundai Sonatas. Thanks.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jul 192010

Sonata

1. the car (Hyundai Sonata) had a front end collision with a truck that slammed on the brakes. The accident resulted in severe damages to the front of the car. 2. the airbags did not deploy. 3. the vehicle is in the body shop right now. No action has been taken yet.

- Bryan , TX, USA

Feb 092010

Sonata

The contact owned a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the vehicle was involved in a crash that destroyed the vehicle and the air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and three injuries were reported. The driver and two rear passengers were reported injured. The vehicle was towed to a towing company lot. Hyundai inspected the vehicle and informed the contact that the air bags functioned properly. The failure and current mileages were 95,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 092010

Sonata

Our SRS airbag light comes on time after time. We take it to the dealer and they turn it off, in a couple of days it will come back. We've been told when the light is on the system is not functioning. It comes on at times for no apparent reason. Is this common on Hyundai's?

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Oct 222008

Sonata

Passenger air bag light stays on. Took it to an airbag specialist and they told me that the sensor is bad and that it would cost me $1,600. I cannot get an answer from Hyundai as to whether or not this is under warranty. The car is a 2005 Hyundai Sonata.

- Alpine, CA, USA

May 042007

Sonata 2-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. While making a left turn at 15 mph, another vehicle struck the front and left side of the contact's vehicle. The vehicle spun 180 degrees and the air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was destroyed. The road conditions were dry. Two passengers suffered neck and back injuries and are under a doctor's care. The police report number is 07-04457. The current and failure mileages were 41,000.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jun 262005

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. The passenger side front suspension failed while driving. The air bag deployed before impact. The contact did not know exactly what part failed because he did not have the vehicle right now because it was at the repair shop. The tie rod end was bent. While driving at about 10-15 mph heard like a crack, and then the air bags deployed, and vehicle hit a parked car. The road conditions were normal on pavement. There was no impact damage to the passenger side wheel or hub cap. The failure occurred at normal driving.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA