2006 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 212015

Sonata 6-cyl

I was driving home and slowed to let someone in front of me turn left into a grocery parking lot. The car suddenly started surging mad I could not stop it with the brake pedal all the way to floor. However, I did hit the car in font of me, with no damage to her car. I had popped the front right side of the bumper on my car. So we went on with our business when she found no damage to her vehicle. I had to turn the car off to stop the car from moving. I called the dealer glenn Hyundai and told them of the incident, they in turn told me this would be nearly impossible for this to happen! it did happen!! they called me after receiving the vehicle via tow truck and told me the throttle was dirty and needed to be cleaned. So I told them go ahead and then about half hour later they called and said the car needed a throttle position assembly replaced. They had already charged me for the cleaning of the throttle, and then charged me to replace it also. Doesn't cleaning come with replacing the throttle assembly" I think this should be investigated and to see how many other Hyundai's have had this problem. They supposedly contacted Hyundai corporate usa, however, I have yet to hear anything from Hyundai. I really hope all is safe now???"

- Paris, KY, USA

Mar 092015

On March 9th, 2015, I was driving home from work after picking up my infant daughter from daycare when several warning lights illuminated on the dashboard of my 2006 Hyundai Sonata; the airbag, ABS, and ESC off warning lights. In preparation for the upcoming left turn into my neighborhood, I tapped the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control and coast to the intersection. The cruise control did not disengage. I applied more pressure to the brake pedal to slow down, but upon releasing the brake the vehicle returned to the set cruise speed. I now applied as much pressure as I possibly could to the brake pedal and the cruise control set light did not disengage. The Sonata downshifted and revved up to 4K RPM attempting to overpower my braking. At this point it was too late to avoid the intersection. I placed the car into neutral and swerved to avoid hitting an oncoming vehicle and median, at the turn. The Sonata spun out and came to rest in the oncoming traffic lanes after overshooting the turn. I verified my daughter was uninjured then proceeded to drive the Sonata, at idle, the remaining 1/8th of a mile to my house. After arriving at home, I visited Hyundai's and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle recall information web pages and found no recalls regarding my Sonata's VIN.

- Reno, NV, USA

Aug 242014

TL-the contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a building. There was one injury reported that required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000. The VIN was not available. Djr

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Apr 022014

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph, the electronic stability control and check engine warning indicators illuminated. Additionally, the vehicle's speed suddenly decelerated. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Kinnebuck Port, ME, USA

Mar 262014

My 2006 Hyundai Sonata has the check engine and ESC lights come on, then the car wont accelerate as well as the rpms will not move. The car coasts like its in neutral. And today was the last straw when it decided to do it while going down the road instead of just when beginning the drive.

- Paxtang, PA, USA

Jan 072014

On this date it was unusually cold weather for our state at a high of 7 degrees plus wind chill ("the polar vortex"). I was leaving for work and had let my car run for about 5 minutes before beginning to drive. I was not even a quarter of a mile away (actually only about a street over) from my home when I stopped at a red light. There was an SUV in front of me. When the light turned green and the SUV in front of me began to drift slightly forward, I did the same. When I went to put my foot on the gas pedal to drift forward at the pace of the SUV in front of me, it abruptly accelerated. There was about 5 feet in between the SUV and my car, but I was unable to stop fast enough and rear ended the SUV in front of me. There was minor damage, however this was completely unavoidable and unnecessary. The following day, which was also a very cold day, I had just left my house for work and when I went into reverse it did the same exact abrupt acceleration. Thankfully this time there were no cars around---in combination with my awareness of this possibly being an issue.

- Upperco, MD, USA

Oct 242013

Sonata 6-cyl

While driving on a busy street it felt like my gas pedal was not responding then without warning it suddenly lurched forward enough to screech my front tires. I do not have a floor mat on the driver's side. Thank god no one was in front of me, surely there would have been an accident. I have also had the air bag light on since the car was new. During Hyundai new car service one of the service men noticed and mentioned it, but did nothing to correct the problem and today I got a recall on the air bag system stating I missed the 1st recall. My front passenger seat belt light goes on and off sometimes it is on when someone is in the seat buckled up and sometimes it is on when no one is sitting in the seat. I am taking my car in to Hyundai for the recall I am going to mention the lurching and let them know about all these complaints! I believe they are ultimately responsible for these problems!!

- Reno, NV, USA

Aug 022013

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, she approached a stop signal and the vehicle failed to respond to deceleration attempts. The emergency brake was applied in order to stop the vehicle. The contact also mentioned that intermittent erroneous acceleration was experienced. The failure progressed and became permanent. The vehicle was inspected by a certified mechanic who informed the contact that the failure was related to the speed control. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Lexington, MS, USA

Dec 302012

Sonata 4-cyl

On December 30th 2012 time:11.52 am while making a slow turn into a parking area of sikh temple, 16000 stirling road, southwest ranches, FL33331 tel: 954 680 0221, my 2006 Hyundai Sonata suddenly accelerated uncontrollably for no reason, an accident resulted with minor damaged to other property and minor damage to the front of the 2006 Sonata. Is there anything wrong with the vehicle's speed control?

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Apr 132012

Sonata 6-cyl

On April 13, 2012, July 18, 2012 and August 3, 2012, while making a slow turn into a parking area, my 2006 Hyundai Sonata suddenly accelerated uncontrollably for no reason. In each instance, an accident resulted with major damage to other property and major damage to the front end of the 2006 Sonata. My only guess, is there is something wrong with the vehicle's speed control. Updated 10/15/12

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Sep 132012

Sonata 6-cyl

I have been the 1st owner and completed all scheduled maintenance, never been in accident. Always a bit bumpy shifting, but last Thursday after driving about 40M on freeway once pulling off would not stop. Car wants to continue to drive at about 40mph regardless if foot off gas pedal and applying pressure to brake. Only way to stop is to slam into neutral. When in park it reves and has rpms up. Reverse you are pulling out at 30 and slamming in neutral before you crash and then forward the same. This can not be isolated and is worse than a floor mat in a Toyota. I cant take a floor mat out to make it safe. Please help, even if they fix the problem, they tell me they have no idea is, how can I trust that my daughter and I are safe to ever be in this car again" there are 100's of posts online in regards to this issue. My car is unusable with a problem not related to lack of care or accident. I have a car I can't safely use and yet cannot afford to trade it in at this point. Nor can I afford the hundreds I have already paid to fix the yet to be fixed problem. So far two separate sensors. Should I have to pay, isn't this a manufacture defect"

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Nov 162011

Sonata 4-cyl

I had just left the stop light and was going up a hill when the accelerator got stuck at 55 mph, had both of my feet on brake to stop car but only slowed down to 40 and again accelerated to 55mph, there was traffic in front of me which I tried to avoid from hitting but could not avoid due to accelerator kept accelerating and brakes would not stop vehicle which I then caused an accident. Forced car to park after the accident and turned off car, car was smoking from driver side under the hood.

- Estancia, NM, USA

Nov 162011

Sonata 4-cyl

I had just left the stop light and was going up a hill when the accelerator got stuck at 55 mph, had both of my feet on brake to stop car but only slowed down to 40 and again accelerated to 55mph, there was traffic in front of me which I tried to avoid from hitting but could not avoid due to accelerator kept accelerating and brakes would not stop vehicle which I then caused an accident. Forced car to park after the accident and turned off car, car was smoking from drive side under the hood. I was told my floormats got stuck under gas pedal by the dealership, but my floormats do not move.

- Estancia, NM, USA

Oct 242010

Sonata 6-cyl

Bottom line it is my firm belief that if my family was traveling on a curving road or had my sixteen year old student driver behind the wheel we would not be writing this complaint today. The accelerator pedal on our 2006 Hyundai Sonata (VIN excluded) became stuck fully open. Yesterday evening in shelbyville ky after accelerating to get through a yellow light, the car continued to accelerate. My wife who was driving called this to my attention as she jammed the brake to the floor board. I (from the passenger seat) tried to get the car out of drive and into first gear to slow the car. The car did not seem to down shift after asking my wife if this was better said she said no! so she hit the emergency brake and the car still did not stop. But it slowed some and I thought my wife had the car under control so I pointed to a lowes parking lot and threw the car into neutral as she made the turn and the engine sounded like it was going to explode so I tried to get it back into low and it would not go. We rounded the turn into the lowes parking lot at a higher then expected speed when my wife let off a little on the brakes due to the forces on her. I had her point the car to where there were no cars and then I reached over and turned the key to off and car shut off. The smell of brakes and over heated engine was sickeningly strong. The heat from the brakes and engine could be felt several feet from the car when we went to the front of the car. We rolled the car into a parking place for safety. We then tried to get our keys out of the car and the car into park and we could not no matter what we did. We even tried to started the car and it would actually start in neutral (with the emergency brake on but not the foot brake) and yes we have witnesses to this (others tried). We called the 1-800-Hyundai emergency roadside service. They recorded our call to them with a su.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Aug 112010

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3. I started my car one morning and had no acceleration in the gas peddle. I turned the car off got husband and we restarted it and had no problem. I then took a trip to houston a few weeks later and again had the problem happen to me a few times there. I did not know what to do and had to return home. I called the dealership in houston and they said it would be a minimum of $100 dollars or more to just see what was wrong. My husband said to bring it home and we will check on it. On my trip home the ESC off light kept coming on and I lost acceleration while in motion on interstate 10. This happened to me many of times on the return trip home. When it went out on me, several times I had to coast to the side of the road and 3 times nearly got hit in the rear and 1 time was seriously almost rammed in the rear while on the side of the road letting the car rest before restarting it. The most terrifying moment was going over the bridge in baton rouge, la. And the ESC off light kicked in and I lost acceleration and there was no side road to pull over on. I had to come to a complete stop to turn off the car and restart it 3 times before the ESC off light went off and I again had acceleration. Then about 20 miles outside of metairie, la. Where I was heading, it started sputtering. The rpms would go down and the car would pull back, then they would jump up and the car would jerk forward. I finally made it to my destination what is normally a 4 1/2 hr drive turned in to a very stressful and fearful 8 hr drive. I did look up on google about 2006 Sonata's and ESC off light and found many off people having the same problem. I am putting the car in the shop tomorrow morning. I read of a woman having this problem and her car accelerating on her and plunged into a tree. This sounds to me a serious matter and seems it is going to be extremely expensive to fix when it seems to be a manufactures defect and should be fixed by Hyundai.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Mar 242010

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph on March 24, 2010, the vehicle suddenly lost throttle capabilities. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealership where the contact was informed that the throttle sensor failed; the sensor was replaced at that time. On April 22, 2010, the failure occurred when the rpms suddenly increased. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership who informed the contact the accelerator pedal assembly was the cause of the failure. The repair was performed but the failure continued. The contact called the dealer and the manufacturer but was offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 52,749. The current mileage was 56,011.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Apr 182010

I was backing up & slightly hit a cement pillar, causing no damage to my vehicle's back bumper. I put the vehicle in drive to move slowly forward into the parking space I had left so that I could check the damage. There was only about 8-10 feet between the pillar and the parking space. The car just took off on its own at a very fast speed. I was unable to stop the car even while stepping on the brake and had no control over the car. It hit a sign and tree causing approx. $5600 damage to my vehicle. I believe there could be a defect in the gas pedal connection. (I checked after the accident to see if perhaps a car mat had gotten under the pedal, but the mat was attached to the floor holder where it belonged.) I am concerned this could happen to someone else and cause a fatality.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jan 122010

While merging on to highway car would not stop accelerating, had to cut off engine to stop the car. This is 2nd incident with the same car, first incident occurred in Feb 2007. Gas pedal assembly was replaced after the first incident, parts were lubricated. After talking to regional Hyundai representative, service manager mentioned that there were few similar incidents (2007) that's why they replaced the gas pedal assembly.

- Caldwell, NJ, USA

Aug 232008

2006 Hyundai Sonata - when I put my foot on the gas pedal especially during city driving (nyc), the car lurches forward. Other times when I put my foot on the gas pedal it is slow to accelerate and then it lurches forward. I have taken the car 3 times to the dealership and they claim there is no problem, that it was probably from the mat causing the pedal to accelerate. However, the problem persists and after the recent problem with Toyota's gas pedals I wanted to bring this problem to your attention. Hyundai corporate has now advised me to take the care back to the dealership for a test drive to determine the problem.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 042009

Vehicle on several occasions has accelerated on its own while stopped, operating from 0-50 mph going forward and also in reverse at minimal speed causing personal injury and property damage.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA