2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 14)

May 052011

Ecs warning light along with check engine and ABS warning lights came on when turning key in ignition. This has happened twice since, with ESC and ABS warning lights coming on while driving.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Apr 272015

In the mid of April, I received a extended warranty letter from Hyundai for my "air bag" light that has been on. It was for the air bag light due to resistance within the connector for the front seat belt buckle. On April 27, 2015 I scheduled my first appointment at savannah Hyundai. On invoice it stated: 135681 check and found history codes B1701 drivers seat buckle pretensioner resistance high B176 passenger seat buckle resistance clear codes no codes reset. I was told the problem was fixed. As I drove off the service lot, my air bag light went back on. On May 4, 2015, I went in for another diagnosis and was told that they needed my car to stay at the shop and they gave me a rental. They said they needed to send my seat off to be fixed. It was a few days that they had my car. On that invoice it stated: Check air bag system for codes B1701 and B1706 driver and passenger front seat belt buckle pretensioner resistance high found service bullentin 15be002 install tie strap on driver and passenger seat belt buckle pretensioner connectors.on June 22, 2015 I came in savannah Hyundai once again because my air bag light warning came back on. I was told that my warranty was already extended was no longer under warranty and I would have to pay out of pocket if I wanted to fix this problem with my car. Which I had the extended warranty and had no idea why they were fighting with me with this. Fix the safety issue! on invoice it was noted that the tsb for pretensioner connectors were already performed and that the vehicle needs passenger buckle pretensioner and the tsb does not mention any warranty covering the replacement, only the zip tie installation. I called corporate and on May 29, 2015, they ordered the passenger seat buckle pretensioner and supposedly they fixed the issue. Today is July, 15, 2015 and my air bag warning lamp is on once again. I am very disappointed.

- Guyton, GA, USA

Jun 102014

The driver air bag light turned on and has not turned off. I know someone with the same car as me except it's a 2007 but with the same problem.

- Butler, PA, USA

May 132015

I wish to make a complaint on the safety operation of this car. Since it was bought new from sansone auto mall the air bag light has come on 4 times and now a 5th time in may of 2015. The air bag light on the instrument cluster always points to the seat belt buckle on the drivers seat. Every time we take it to Hyundai they have no concern of the issue even though we complain. They say there is nothing they can do except replace the seat belt buckle assembly. They will not warranty anything. Also talked with Hyundai and they have no concern either on this safety issue. We fear the safety of not just the drive but the passengers should an accident occur and they air bags don't deploy or the seat belts work correctly. The front passenger seat cushion also became defective which had to be repaired as well. Hyundai and their dealership is charging us and average of $350 each time for this issue which we believe is theirs. Apparently as we see it they have no concern for the safety of this model car series. We have to take it again for the same problem prior to motor vehicle inspection in July of 2015.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Jun 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While operating the vehicle, the air bag light would illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the failure was caused by a faulty seat belt buckle. No further information was available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 072015

I turned on ignition and, as usual, all dash lights came on then disappeared, as usual. However, the "passenger air bag off" light returned on and the warning chimes have been ringing ever since.if a passenger sits on the passenger seat then the light stays off. Jiggling of wires underneath the seat do not fix the problem.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Dec 052014

Sonata 6-cyl

• 1,500,000 miles

I was coming of sanford avenue just turned on 3rd street had head on collision head hit roof off car stomach hit steering wheel knees hit dash board was diagnosed with vertigo air bag did not deploy herd on radio car had recap on car because air bag did not deploy after car wreck.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light continuously illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt buckle pretensioners needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000. Updated 6/11/15 updated 6/18/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired on 4/17/2015 at mileage 74,985. Updated 7/16/2015

- Sacrmento, CA, USA

Nov 012008

I purchased this vehicle used in 2008. Two days after I picked it up from the dealer (paramus, NJ), I was driving down the parkway and the airbag light came on and stayed on. I took it back to them on several occasions and it was off again/on again. I was told I had to pay to have the airbag replaced. I took it to another dealer and it was diagnosed and reset. Again the light came back on and stayed on. I wasn't paying to replace the airbag. I received a recall notice (miraculously the light went off by itself). I took it to another dealer in union NJ when I received the airbag recall notice, and was told everything was okay and it was cleaned up and the light stayed off. Now its 2015 and its been on again for the past several months. I am at wits end with this vehicle. The light gets fixed works for several months and then comes back on again for no reason. Can you please have this issue looked into. I see there are multiple complaints against this issue. I have an appointment again to have this looked at.

- Englewood , NJ, USA

Aug 102012

I am writing to request your assistance with the following airbag issue I have been having with my Hyundai Sonata and also to have this issue documented in the event of something tragic occurring to my wife or children since they are usually passengers in my car. This is obviously a malfunction on Hyundai's part. You see, for the past several years, my airbag light has been randomly going on causing me stress and concern on whether or not the airbag will actually work if I get in an accident. As you can see from the following documentation, something is obviously wrong and I refuse to pay another penny. In fact, I am asking for Hyundai to refund the money I have already put out. Below are the chain of events: Passenger airbag light first went on 8/10/12. Dealership sent entire seat to California and was "repaired" by re-programming it. On 7/3/13, airbag light went on again for no reason and this time I had to pay over $300 for repair because it was past my warranty. On 12/2/14, airbag light went on for third time for no reason and I refuse to pay to fix it again, since it's evident by now there is no way I can affect this light by driving and it's a vehicle malfunction. I need your assistance to get this issue resolved. I have reached out to Hyundai and they sent a representative to test the passenger seat last month. However, the rep mentioned a class action suit going on right now regarding the weight of the passenger, but I don't believe this pertains to our problem, which was confirmed by the Hyundai rep after seeing our problem. Since then, my follow-up calls to Hyundai have gone unanswered. Please help before someone dies!

- Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA

Feb 272015

I have been getting an airbag light on my dash. The problem was traced to the drivers' side seat belt. This is odd since I only have 67,000 on the car, and probably less than 10,000 on the car with a passenger.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 252015

The airbag light is on. The shop said it has to do with the drivers seat pretensioner circuit. In reading for issues, I found that the issue may be covered by warrant of 15 yrs or 250,000 as agreed by Hyundai to have you close your investigation. I have called Hyundai regarding your case NHTSA action number: PE14023. This case was closed because Hyundai said they would extend the warranty - I am calling the Hyundai service department - they say they don't know anything about this agreement. In reading the web for complaints about Hyundai, it looks like they are not recognizing this agreement with anyone.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Feb 212015

The air bag warning light is engaged on the instrument cluster panel. When the front passenger seat is empty of a person or any objects, the seat belt warning light blinks.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Nov 302014

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Mansfields, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Air bag comes on and stays on.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jan 202015

My 2006 Hyundai Sonata's air bag light stays on. I took it to dealership. They said the problem is due to faulty passenger seat belt tensioner. This matches the description stated in NHTSA action number: PE14023. This investigation was closed because Hyundai will extend the warranty to 15 years or 250K miles. My Hyundai dealership does not honor this warranty because they did not get notice from corporate. I called Hyundai customer connect center 1-855-671-3059 with this issue and provided the NHTSA case number. I talked to a agent and his supervisor and his supervisor. Neither acknowledge the existence of this NHTSA action number: PE14023. They said I had to repair this on my own cost. I am surprised to hear that Hyundai just ignores the authority of NHTSA especially on the airbag issue. I have recorded the phone conversation with both supervisors for reference.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Dec 012014

Seat belt tensioner causing air bag safety problem

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Dec 182014

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, the front passenger's side air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The failure recurred several times. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Abington, MO, USA

Nov 012013

Air bag light is on due to pretensioner issue

- Poland, ME, USA

Jan 072015

Since purchasing my car new in 2006, I have had to have the passenger side seat belt buckle replaced twice. First on Oct 6, 2010, then on Oct 25, 2013. Both times it was related to the air bag light illuminating on the dashboard and staying on consistently. In 2010, I was told it was a faulty seat belt part. Hyundai replaced it under warranty. In 2013, I was again told it was an issue with the same seat belt part, and this time I was charged $164.31 for the replacement. This week, the air bag light came on again. I can only assume it's, once again, a faulty seat belt buckle. I called the dealership who did the previous repair (davis Hyundai in NJ) and they said it was only covered under warranty for 12 months.. so I would have to pay for the replacement again. I googled the issue and it seems to be under investigation by your group. It's clearly a safety issue.. I don't think I should have to pay to have it fixed again, and really I think Hyundai should reimburse me for the first repair. If they can't figure out how to make a seat belt buckle that functions properly, they have no business making cars. Any help would be hugely appreciated. I planned to go through the BBB as well, but wanted to add to the number of complaints filed. I have records of all previous repairs.

- East Windsor, NJ, USA