2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Nov 182010

Sonata

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable. Kmj

- Jacobsburg, OH, USA

Jul 072006

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated while starting the vehicle the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously with an occupant in the front seat. The failure recurred while driving. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer numerous times. The passengers seat cushion which housed the ocs unit was replaced and also recalibrated. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 185.

- Laguna Woods, CA, USA

Oct 302013

Sonata

I called to bring my car in (Saturday) to glendale Hyundai for a recall but nobody pickled up so I left a message. After nobody called after a many hours later I called back. I was told to drop in on a weekday. On Monday the employee and manager did not fix my car because I refused to pay for a diagnostic fee. A recall in my opinion should be free. I called customer service that day and was given a case number. I made an appointment for 4:45 pm with Hyundai customer service to go to the glendale Hyundai. On my arrival the employee refused to check my car because he said they don't fix cars at 4:45. I arrived early, about thirty minutes early, but he said it was too late. The Hyundai customer service has a history of making appointments that don't match up with the Hyundai dealer hours. I called customer service to make an appointment and they told me there should be no diagnosis fee. When the appointment was made they took back their claim. They said I must pay a diagnosis fee for a recall. My car is a salvage title car in good condition but has the air bag light on. I have no choice but to not fix a recall for the car. I don't feel it is correct to pay a diagnosis fee for a recall incident. I will no longer be shopping for Hyundai or Kia products in the future. They wasted my time and want to charge me for a recall.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Oct 302013

Sonata

"air bag" light stays illuminated at all times. Received recall notice for the ocs on 10/29/13, called dealership, they said it would cost me to have it checked out. I thought that was the whole purpose of a recall notice. There is a problem and should be fixed at no charge to customer.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Oct 242013

Sonata

While driving on a busy street it felt like my gas pedal was not responding then without warning it suddenly lurched forward enough to screech my front tires. I do not have a floor mat on the driver's side. Thank god no one was in front of me, surely there would have been an accident. I have also had the air bag light on since the car was new. During Hyundai new car service one of the service men noticed and mentioned it, but did nothing to correct the problem and today I got a recall on the air bag system stating I missed the 1st recall. My front passenger seat belt light goes on and off sometimes it is on when someone is in the seat buckled up and sometimes it is on when no one is sitting in the seat. I am taking my car in to Hyundai for the recall I am going to mention the lurching and let them know about all these complaints! I believe they are ultimately responsible for these problems!!

- Reno, NV, USA

Oct 172012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed however, the contact was not aware of the exact repairs needed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Oct 162012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the air bag warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Aug 272013

Sonata

Re: ocssettlement.Hyundai.com dear representative: My car make and model is involved in the Hyundai airbag class action suit. I took my car so that the dealer could do the recalibration to the seat on 8/27/2013. They told me before they sent it to California for the recalibration to be done to the seat. The service advisor told me that due to an accident the impact jars the seat connection and causes codes and that the light will still illuminate when it came back and it is. He said I have to pay some $600 to get something repaired and the attorney advised against me paying that is not my fault. The attorney for the class action already told me Hyundai is coming up with all kinds of reasons; even the inspector they sent seemed biased for the company. The attorney also stated that the car is under recall and if the light is on whatever they say doesn't matter that they have to offer me something under the settlement and they are not. The case involves the air bag lights being illuminated indicating that there is something is wrong with the system. Since the light remains illuminated and the system is not functioning properly, I and whoever rides with me are in danger because the air bag will not deploy. Hyundai will not repair without me paying. I should not pay. I have not had an impact. I got a letter from Hyundai today stating I should keep this letter in my vehicle and they listed that this contact should be written if I am unsatisfied. I am not satisfied and feel I am not getting the offer options in which I am entitled. Please inform me how I should proceed if better business bureau does not comply. I call the attorney over the class action and they inform I should be persistent and I have. But with Hyundai over the inspections, etc., I feel this will not come out fair. Please inform what I need to do. Thank you.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 102013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received NHTSA campaign recall number 08V161000 (air bag). The dealer and the manufacturer informed the contact the recall closed on September 20th. The air bag light was illuminated and could malfunction during a crash. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Dardene Praire, MO, USA

Oct 222011

Sonata

A part on the driver's side seatbelt buckle has failed once per year for the last three years. The failure of this part causes the airbag light to go on, rendering the airbag ineffective in the event of a crash. We have taken the car in as soon as this happens, but are concerned about the frequency of the failures. We also don't understand why this repair was covered twice, but not the third time since this is clearly a problem with this same part and the time period in between part failures was almost identical.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

May 292007

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the passenger's side front air bag indicator light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times for the failure. The driver's side seat belt buckle and the front passenger's side air bag sensor was replaced. In addition, front passenger's seat sensor was reprogrammed under NHTSA campaign number 08V161000 (air bags); however the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not fully repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000 and the current mileage was 100,000. Updated 10/24/13

- Westerville , OH, USA

Aug 252013

Sonata

I turned the car on and the dashboard lights indicated all affected parts listed above went on. Drove the car for 3 miles and shut it off for 2 hours. Turned the car back on and had the same problem. I've read many owners with the same issue, but haven't seen a resolution this this problem. This is a very serious issues god forbid the air bags don't eject in a accident. What do I do??

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

2006 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to a class action suit of the passenger seat " ocs" issue. The consumer stated he has been attempting to get the passenger seat fixed for years. The consumer stated the occupant classification system (ocs) failed to identify when someone was sitting in the front passenger seat. As a result, the air bag system was disabled.

- Northbridge, MA, USA

Jun 172013

Sonata

The air bag light on our 2006 Sonata started intermittently going on and off several years after we purchased the vehicle. We brought this to the attention of the dealer at our regular service. They claimed they could not get the light to come on. At a later date the light came on permanently while driving. I brought this to the attention of the dealer in 2010, who charged me $100 inspection fee. He concluded that the light was on as a result of a seat malfunction but told us not to worry about the light. In June 2013, we were on a trip to the East coast and needed axle work (which was covered by warranty at 85,000 miles) and I again asked that dealer to check the seat belt light. He indicated that the problem was with some bolts in the seat belt restraints and that my air bags were not functional as long as the light was on. Even though I purchased the extended dealer warrant for this vehicle, I was again charged for the inspection and neither the manufacturer or warranty company will step up to cover this repair. This leads me to believe that this is a much more widespread safety problem than it appears and that both the manufacturer and trade knows this life threatening flaw exists. I am appalled by the frequency of airbag complaints that have been lodged and that the dealer would allow us to drive for years without the benefit of these safety features.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 062013

Sonata 6-cyl

The air bag light came on for no reason, the car has never been in an accident. I only have 38000 miles on the car.

- N Ft Myers, FL, USA

May 292013

Sonata 4-cyl

Dash air bag light came on and stays on. This is a very common complaint concerning the 2006 Sonata (see safercar.gov database). In my case, the dealer says the passenger seat needs replacing at a cost of over $2000. I note in the above data base that there seems to be a wide variety of causes for air bag failure. These problems occur so often in the 2006 Sonata, and create such a dangerous situation that NHTSA should require Hyundai to do a recall and fix these air bag problems for good. I just wonder how many people have been injured or killed because of these defective air bags.

- Clarksville, AR, USA

Dec 012010

Sonata

About 2-3 years ago, the air bag warning light on the console began to illuminate and turn off intermittently without apparent cause or pattern, until it reached a point of staying on all the time. To me, this indicates an electrical problem. I have not had this problem diagnosed specifically, although at one point, my mechanic mentioned off hand that I had a broken seat belt, but, after I looked them over myself, all seat belts functioned perfectly fine, so I did not replace any of them. This may be the cause of the warning light, however, research has shown that this warning light may be on for any number of reasons, and most cases involve expensive and unreliable repairs, and the problem re-occurs without reason. Because of this, I have elected not to pay to have it "fixed." It has not been a problem until this year, when my car only barely passed inspection (prior inspectors have apparently never had a problem with it). Reading further, I am even less inclined to fix it - spending $1500 on a repair that has reports of re-occurrence on a 7-year-old vehicle seems silly. However, I'm lodging the complaint here anyway. I have not attempted to get a dealership or manufacturer to diagnose or fix the problem.

- Norton, MA, USA

May 012013

Sonata 6-cyl

There is an airbag light on in my 2006 Hyundai Sonata. My mother and stepfather are having the same issue with their 2007 Hyundai Sonata. They received a pamphlet regarding a class action lawsuit against Hyundai that their 2007 Hyundai Sonata qualified for a "free" recalibration to "reset" the airbag light. They called their local dealer, and got the car in. They said that the airbag light was on due to a faulty seatbelt, and they would have to remove the entire seat, send it to California and it would cost me $300. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I also see where there are several complaints online of the very same issue my car is having. Something needs to be done about this, and not a the customer's expense either. Obviously it is an issue Hyundai should be taking care of.

- Saint Marys, OH, USA

Nov 102012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the front driver's side seat belt buckle would need to be replaced. The buckle was replaced four years prior to the recent failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 101,000.

- Wittmann, AZ, USA

Nov 292011

Sonata 6-cyl

On November of 2011, the "airbag" light in my Sonata came on and stayed on. Upon investigation by the Hyundai dealership, I was told that it was a problem with my seat belt. I had it repaired at a cost of $325.79. At that time I made a formal complaint to you. NHTSA id number: 10436650 now I have the same problem again! my airbag light came on the week of 4/7/13 (odometer 112,660) and again I have been told it is the seat belt. Again it will cost upwards of $300. And this is just 19,250 miles since I had it repaired it seems to me that this is an indication of either a defective part or a defective design. I have been told that the airbag will not work when the airbag light is on so I see this as a critical defect that needs to be investigated by the NHTSA. If a vehicle's airbags shut down every 20,000 miles or so, in my opinion the vehicle is a danger to consumers. Judging from a cursory search on the internet, I see that there are many other Hyundai Sonatas with the same issue. Please investigate.

- Rockford, MI, USA