2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Oct 102014

Sonata

Suddenly, an warning sign for air bag appeared on the dash board. I was not comfortable to drive a car with air bag error sign. I brought my to my mechanic. It was diagnosed due to defective sensor in a buckle clip in a front passenger seat. Then, I brought my car into local dealer but they denied to repair in a warranty or recall. I heard that the same defect was not uncommon in Sonata around that year. If so, this defect should be covered by recall. I love my Sonata and Hyundai car!

- Clarksville, MD, USA

Sep 292006

Sonata

We noticed a crack starting in the passenger side dashboard where the airbag was located. The crash pad was replaced on 9/29/06 under warranty. A new crack started in 2010 which continued to expand & spread. On 10/12/11, we returned to the dealership and they verified the situation. However, we were told that because the vehicle was now "off warranty, " regardless that it was in the exact same location as the original problem, they could not re-address the issue unless we paid for the repair first & then could be considered under the "good will consideration policy". we strongly objected to this policy, but were told that nothing further could be done. It is now 12/4/14, and the crack has become so severe that air bag light has come on, creating a potential safety concern for the passenger. We know that we are not alone with this particular problem as we have personally spoken with other 2006 Sonata owners that have experienced this same issue.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Nov 112014

Sonata

My vehicle lights for the ecs system, seat belt and airbag keeps illuminating. I took it to Hyundai here in jacksonville and was told that a diagnostic for $94, would need to be done to see why the ESC light is on. The air bag light will go off when the seat cushion is recalibrated but, something is wrong with my seat belts(both), so it will stay on and therefor the air bags will not deploy on impact, I pray that I dont get into any accidents till I find out what the problem is. Why arent the seats belts part of the recall for the airbag system? they work inconjuction with each other.the ESC was suppose to have been fixed in 09 but here it is 2014 and the same thing is happening again, the same problem as before. I have to pull over turn the car off and wait a minute to restart it only to have the light come on again once I start to drive. What is wrong with this car, it is suppose to be safe.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 042013

Sonata

In 2013, my airbag light came on and would not go off. I learned that a recall had been issued so I took the car to the dealership. The front passenger's seat was removed and sent away for repair. However, after this repair was made, the air bag light came on again and would not go off. I took the car back to the dealership and was told that the seat belt pretension/buckle was defective and would need to be replaced at a cost to me of over $400. Since that time, I have done extensive research and have found that this is a very common problem with Hyundai Sonatas. As of yet, I understand that no recall has been issued but that this matter is under investigation. This is a serious safety concern as the air bags may not deploy in an accident. I was specifically told this at the dealership. I urge you to take action and issue a recall on this. I, like most others in this situation, cannot afford to spend $400+ dollars to have this repaired. However, I also cannot in good conscience allow passengers to sit in the front seat knowing the air bags may not deploy. Of course, I also am concerned for my own safety as a driver and the air bag on the driver's side as well. It seems as though Hyundai knows that this is a problem, but obviously, unless the NHTSA issues a recall, no action will be taken and those of us in this situation will continue to put ourselves and our passengers at risk. Thank you for your attention to this serious matter!

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 112014

Sonata

There is a recall on my 2006 Hyundai Sonata for issue code: B1448 which means OCS mat defect and this made my dash air bag illuminate at times, meaning the airbag wouldn't have deployed in case of an accident. Fortunately, the Hyundai dealership shop did not charge me to replace the passenger seat since it is a recall. However, before they began to process the B1448 fix, another "safety" issue code came up on their diagnostic test saying "seat belt buckle pretensioner: Driver resistance is too high" and the dealership told me that this is also causing the air bag light to illuminate, thus the airbag may not deploy. Since my car warranty has expired and there is no safety recall on this specific issue, I have to pay a big bill out of my own pocket to replace the buckle pretensioner. This is a safety issue and there should be a recall on this. No one should pay anything for a safety issue. Upon web researching there has been a good number of people that have the same issue but yet there is no recall yet.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata

Around 70000 miles the air bag light on the cluster has came on and has remained there. The dealer said it may be the ground and like other I have not found any other information on the problem.

- Highland Hts., OH, USA

Oct 062014

Sonata

Air bag sensor frequently mistakes an adult for a child and turns off. In addition, the air bag light has been on for at 3 years. Auto had about 125000 miles when thge air bag light came on. Took the car to a dealer and they informed me I would have to pay well over $1,000 to repair the air bag sensor in the passenger side seat. Instead, I bought black tape to cover the air bag light. I thought this safety defect woulh have been recalled by now. Apparently, none of the airbags will deploy in an accident. This does not make sense, given the remaining airbag sensors mosdt likely work. I am the original owner of things car.

- Woodland, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata

Airbag light came on one day and just never went off. No accidents or damage to the car had been done prior. Went to other mechanics and they couldn't even figure out what the code on their diagnostic machines was. Hyundai checked it and told me it was the passenger buckle canister. That's fine, but 400,000 of these in the 06-08 Sonata models have now "failed" and at $100 for a diagnostics, then another $250 for a belt buckle repairs, I don't see how this could be wear and tear in the vehicle. Just seems like easy money for Hyundai. Hope this gets resolved soon.

- Old Orchard Beach, ME, USA

Mar 132013

Sonata

Around 18 months ago the red air bag warning light in the dash cluster would come on at different times. Later the light came on and stayed on. I took it to a dealer and paid $100 to have it reset and was told it was possibly a poor ground which they cleaned. The light remained off for less than a month, came on and off for a while and is now on full time. Have read much about people spending thousands of dollars at dealers with no end in sight and nothing fixing the problem. I can not find accurate information explaining if the light being on is a indication of the air bags not being able to operate properly or at all, or if it only indicates some section has a problem. This affects my safety and well being as well as causing a loss of value when I sell the car. I would think that Hyundai should stand behind any parts and labor that are related to vehicle safety.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Jan 022012

Sonata

My airbag warning light has been illuminated for a few years now. I have brought it to a few Hyundai dealerships and they tell me it is because of a problem with a sensor in my seat belts. They also tell me there is no recall and it will cost between 500-700 to fix it. While advising me that is it a serious safety risk and may cause my airbag to not deploy in the event of a crash. I don't understand how there is no recall on this yet. As the dealership has also informed me this is a common problem with the 2006 Sonata's.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Sep 292014

Sonata

The air bag warning light is illuminated on the dashboard and the service representative at Hyundai say that it is related to the pretensioner on the passenger side and a voltage discrepancy from the battery codes B1102 and B1706.

- Imperial Beach, CA, USA

Sep 032012

Sonata

SRS seat belt light first on right side...seat belt clip replaced cost $350 dollars.. told no covered under warrentee... few months later lrft side indicator ses system light on dash instrument panel came... dealer repair said 130 to check... possible very expensive to fix... I cannpt afford to repair because of unknown cost... this is a common problem on early models 06 thru 09 ??

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Sep 142007

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags). The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Oakville, WA, USA

Sep 262007

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light continuously illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the seat belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 16,000. Djr

- Oakville, WA, USA

Sep 092014

Sonata

My dashboard warning light (red text: Air bag) went on as I was driving and has not shut off. When I called Hyundai corporate they said this was due to air bag sensors on passenger seat and was part of an ongoing OCS settlement so they made an appt with North county Hyundai. When the dealer inspected the issue, they said it was not part of the OCS settlement and that it is a seat belt tensioner/seat belt buckle issue (diagnostic code B1706) and that it is not a safety recall item, nor is it covered under warranty and would cost me $336.90. From what I have learned, this issue renders the air bag system inoperative so I am wondering why Hyundai is not forced to cover this system defect under warranty or if there are plans at NHTSA to issue a mandatory recall.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the passenger seat belt buckle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 70,000. The VIN was not available...updated 09-23-14

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 302013

Sonata

My air bag light came on shortly after I bought my 2006 Hyundai Sonata used in 2013. The car does not have any wrecks to show this default. The dealership wants to charge me $260 for each new belt buckle because they say the sensors are bad. I want this turned into a recall as I don't feel their mechanical problem should end up costing me an additional $700 for their defective parts.

- Fairfield, WA, USA

Jul 142014

Sonata

Over the course of a few days, the driver's air bag light started to be lit continuously while an occupant was in the seat. Initially, the light would come on and then go out after a few moments. However, after approximately a week of the on/off, the light then remained lit anytime the car was on. A few weeks later, the ESC off light began to light up while driving the car. The light would come on while the car was in motion and would not shut off/turn ESC on unless the car was stopped, turned off, and then back on. The issue has appeared sporadically, usually when associated with a turn. It has happened approximately 10 times thus far.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 232014

Sonata

The air bag went on to indicate the air bag would not work. Considered this a safety issue. Took it to the dealer and indicated it was not covered and had to replace the passenger side seatbeat pretensioner assembly.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Aug 132013

Sonata

My car (Hyundai Sonata 2006) was traveling the intersection with a green light. The other car was traveling the intersection with a red light, and did strike the driver side of my car. The other car caused the severe damage to my car and I got injured. My car's side air bag was inflated, but my driver front air bag was not inflated so that I got permanently injured in my eyebrow and chronic back-pain. I strongly believe that if my driver front air bag was inflated, I do not suffer from chronic back-pain and do not have a permanent scar in my eyebrow.

- Arlington, TX, USA