2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Apr 242014

Sonata

Second time air bag light.. first time right side at 72000 mi.. nor 840000 right side repair $300 plus not cover by any saftey recall. Light stays on air bags disables..

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Jan 062011

Sonata

TL-the contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where an unknown repair was performed. The failure recurred after the repair. The front passenger's side occupancy sensor mat was faulty and the seat was replaced. In addition, both rear power door locks and front passenger's side window regulator failed to function. The contact also stated that the rear driver's side door hinge would not latch. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Hallandale, FL, USA

Mar 172014

Sonata

"air bag" SRS warning light on continuously. Per owners manual, this indicates this system "is not working properly" and "should be inspected by an authorized Hyundai dealer". concerned that the air bag/SRS system is unsafe and could cause injury or not properly protect occupants from injury or death in case of accident, brought car to local Hyundai dealer. Instructed that they would have to inspect the problem and charge us $105. Dealer performed inspection and diagnosis was faulty "belt assy restence high in buckle assy front pass side" for additional charge of $470. Repair was not performed. We called Hyundai Corp customer service and spoke with manager, but Hyundai stated that since no recall noted and past warranty period, they would not fix defect at no charge. Why should we pay for a defective air bag/SRS part/system that should not fail under normal life and use of a car? this is a fundamental internal safety system and should not stop working properly. This is a manufacturer defect for design, components and/or workmanship and should be recalled. Hyundai is not taking responsibility for it's faulty product to save themselves money at the expense of consumers and placing my family's safety at risk. We now paid $105 to confirm the car is unsafe to drive and are forced to spend an additional $470 to "correct" a defective SRS system, which may or may not "fix" problem, in order to confidently continue using car. Ridiculous.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 112012

Sonata

My car has the same problem as this complaint number.10575493 I have been told by the dealer that I need to have the seat replaced which is a $1000+ repair. This should be a significant safety issue.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata

2006 Sonata gls very well maintained (for life of vehicle) by top notch local dealer + no accident history - reports driver side seat belt buckle err code, airbag light on/airbag system not activated. Dealer attempted OC3 test-passenger seat voluntary recall issue - could not complete test-buckle error. Replaced buckle assy: Same code + light. Dash opened, console removed, driver seat removed: Airbag system harness inspection, reseat connections - new code appears: Drivers belt retractor assy. Replaced belt retractor assy. No code! and airbag system still not working/airbag light indicator on. Dealer advised this expensive problem is well-known to 06, 07 Sonata owners: Sole viable solution=replace air bag system wiring harness. Ordered part # on harness - wrong harness delivered (connectors in wrong location on harness/don't meet up with car connectors. Ordered again, same result (dealership noted - these harnesses arrive with bag torn open (not first mechanic to order it for same problem and outcome) local Hyundai territory engineer (troubleshooter for large problems) asked to visit for discussions - right part # / wrong part. Solution = I've dealt with this 3X recently and in this area - order this part #. guess what, new part is $750 / double old part cost. New harness reaches into back seat area as well and causes double the labor costs >$1,000. $1K already invested in parts and labor plus facing another $2K in harness parts & labor. Dealer can't provide any guarantee this will solve it short term let alone long term - contacted Hyundai usa for financial assistance - denied due to out of warranty + 2nd owner/not original (how convenient for them) as mentioned, 3X '06 Sonata owners in this territory recently experienced identical issues and after getting tough with Hyundai usa, received buy-backs of their cars. Try to guess my next move

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 142010

Sonata

Air bag light comes on every other year. I am having this issued for three time air bag light comes on every time and then they put new seat belt buckle it goes away first time it happened in 2010 it was under warranty, second time it happened in 2012, and third time it happened in 2014.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Mar 132014

Sonata

Air bag light illuminated and will not go off. For a few weeks, anytime the drivers seat was adjusted, it would trigger the air bag light on the dash but once the seat was moved, it would go off. Now to the point, it will not shut off the air bag light. Similar thing happened last summer, took to dealer and had to pay to have system cleared as Hyundai is the only one with the proper tool to "scrub the air bag memory". my concern, is will the air bags go off in the event of an accident" why should I have to go back to the dealer to pay to have error cleared if no misuse on my end? it appears by reading this site that many Hyundai owners have experienced similar issues so perhaps this is a recall"

- Northlake, IL, USA

Feb 222011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while starting the ignition, the passenger's side air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags) however, after the remedy repair was performed the failure persisted. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Jan 152014

Sonata

My spouse reported to me that the airbag for drivers side came on and stayed on. Two days ago, I took the car to work (readjusting the seat) and the light was not on. I had read about this issue in online forums for my make and year and this problem and there was mention that if you move the seat forward and back that you can get the light to turn off. Well, I tried that and unfortunately for me the light came on and has stayed on. We previously had the vehicle for the passenger side airbag recall and had that taken care of. I took the car to our dealer to find out if they had similar occurrences and was surprised by my service adviser's attitude. He appeared guarded and was very unlike him. I usually get all my service done there. It seems to me that I was not the first one with this problem. He told me that first I'd have to get a diagnosis ($79+ tax), then any repairs ( anywhere from $300 to 1500.) would be my responsibility as the vehicle is out of warranty. I also asked if the airbag light is on, does the airbag not work and was told yes. I just went to nhsta today and looked in the complaint section for this vehicle and found numerous people with the same issue. Requiring airbags in vehicles is a federal law requirement, so why then if these systems fail without any owners negligence, are the manufacturers not required to see that they get repaired" what triggers a recall? after talking with one of your representatives, a short time ago, I asked that question and she said that nhsta can't force a manufacturer for just anything. I said, "someone whose airbag doesn't deploy in a crash and dies might trigger a recall"" the representative replied, "those are you words, mot mine".

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Sep 122012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the buckle assembly pre tensioner needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,897.

- Mareitta, GA, USA

Nov 262013

Sonata 6-cyl

Car was taken to Hyundai dealership for ocs right front passenger seat recall. A few hours later dealer called to advise that there was no problem with the ocs air bag. I was told the code associated with the light being on indicating "passenger air bag off" related to the seat belt tensioner not working, not the ocs. Since the seat belt is a safety issue, I asked the dealer to take care of it at no charge to me. The dealer (rick case Hyundai in davie, fl) refused to do so saying that it was not covered in the ocs recall and the car was out of warranty. I then called Hyundai customer service and requested that Hyundai repair the seat belt tensioner at no charge to me. They read me a prepared statement stating that this was not covered under the ocs recall and would not take care of it because the car was out of warranty. After I spoke to a case manager at Hyundai, they agreed to call the dealership and see if they could work something out with the dealership for the seat belt repair. Hyundai was supposed to call me back within a week to tell me what was worked out. They did not. When I called back a couple of weeks later, Hyundai again read me the prepared statement saying this problem was not covered under the recall. I reiterated that the seat belt tensioner was a safety issue and I expected them to repair it. They continued to refuse to take responsibility for the repair. I advised I was going to report this safety issue to NHTSA. Hyundai was unconcerned. As NHTSA should see, several Hyundai Sonata owners have reported this same seat belt problem to NHTSA. My passenger seat is rarely used, so this seems to be a Hyundai safety defect for which the dealers and Hyundai should be required to make a recall and repair at their expense.I am also concerned that the passenger seat was not removed and sent to Hyundai for analysis as noted in the ocs recall.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Dec 012013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags). After the recall repair was performed, all of the instrument panel warning lights illuminated and the reading of the gauges fluctuated erratically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA

Sep 102013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated while the passenger's seat was occupied. The vehicle was diagnosed and the contact was informed that the sensor in the seat belt buckle malfunctioned. The contact was informed that the defect was not associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Stanardsville, VA, USA

Nov 072013

Sonata 6-cyl

Air bag light has been on for six months. Got the recall notice about passenger occupant system which indicated that if the light stays on to bring the car to the dealership. I took the car to the dealership and was told that the system checked out okay. I told the service rep that the light was still on. He indicated that was a problem with the seat belt buckle. He also indicated that the air bag may or may not deploy in the case of an accident. This is a major safety issue. Hyundai should issue a recall on this apparent defect.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Nov 182013

Sonata

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under a recall NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags), however three month later the same problem recurred while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Dec 022013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for recall repairs under NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags) however, the contact was informed that the parts were unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags) however, one week later the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, after the recall was announced. However, the light is still blinking. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 107,000. Updated 12/30/13 updated 01/13/14

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Nov 152008

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags). The vehicle was taken to the dealer for the recall repairs however, after the repair the air bag warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 302011

Sonata 6-cyl

The dummy airbag light in my 2006 Sonata has been on for a few years. The last time I brought it in to service, in July 2012- I was told that my passenger seat may need to be sent out, but that I would also need 2 new seat belts. I was told the air bags wouldn't deploy if I was in an accident.the mechanic was able to turn the dummy light off but only for a day or two. This November 2013, the seat was sent out to ca under a recall notice I was sent by Hyundai, and I paid to have my seat belts replaced, but I feel the whole thing is related and should have been a recall. Everyone I have spoken to about it feels the same way. The seat belt replacement cost $350 per seat excluding tax. Hyundai has known of this problem (through my dealer) since July 2012 and the problem had been ongoing for months prior to me taking it in for servicing, not realizing it was a dangerous situation. I missed the 5 year 60K warranty probably by 10K miles or less. I would like to know how many other Sonata owners have had to replace their seat belts and whether or not we should be suing Hyundai to have them cover this "repair". I could get no statistics from Hyundai when I called them regarding how many people have complained about this problem. The explanation provided to me is that they are separate problems, not inter-related and that the seat belt issue is an electrical issue and the service center was given a code to diagnose the issue.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Oct 292013

Sonata 6-cyl

2006 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to air bag recall notice. The consumer would like to know, why the diagnosis was not covered under the recall. The ocs test resulted in a pass/compliant, but the passenger seat belt buckle pre-tensioner didn't pass.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA