2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Mar 182016

Sonata

First, oil is leaking on alternator and area around, car needs a valve cover gasket, driver airbag light stays on, passenger sun visor wont stay up, the vehicle has 149000 miles on it. There are to many complaints for these subjects, a recall needs to be issued.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Feb 032016

Sonata

Sensor in passenger seat cushion not working properly and will cause the airbag and seat belt light to illuminate and also causes the airbag to not deploy upon impact. This is a problem that should be a recall issued from Hyundai as there are millions of people that have this same complaint.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Feb 022016

Sonata

Air bag light comes on the dash. Have tried to reset by pulling the fuse as well as disconnecting the battery for 2-5 minutes, but to light comes right back on.

- Martinsville, OH, USA

Dec 112015

Sonata

I was involved in an accident the front was smashed in the vehicle was declared a total loss and the airbags and not the ploy and I need help.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 162010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at a low speed, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the connector in the front passenger seat needed to be tightened. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the mat sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 79,411.

- Howard Beach, NY, USA

Nov 072013

Sonata

On Nov. 7, 2013, I notified Hyundai that we had been experiencing problems with the Sonata's occupant classification system (OCS). The system did not consistently recognize my wife as an adult passenger, even though she clearly exceeded the necessary weight threshold designed to activate the airbag sensor. Hyundai, after mechanical/electronic review, stated the OCS was working as designed. It wasn't. we returned the vehicle for service on April 1, 2014, and again on May 22, 2014, only to have Hyundai tell us the OCS was operating "ok". again, on July 30, 2015, we returned the vehicle for service, as the OCS was still malfunctioning. Hyundai, at that time, performed a reprogramming. Still the OCS does not consistently recognize my wife as an adult passenger. I have contacted Hyundai an almost innumerable number of times in regard to this issue. Though Hyundai even had an arbitrator document the defect, to date we still have no resolution. It is unsafe for my wife, or any other adult passenger, to ride in the car. And, as one can see by the history, it has been that way for quite some time.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

Air bag light in instrument panel remains on at all times. ESC indicator turns off at random times while driving. Rear suspension knocks when fuel tank is low (I.e. near empty).

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. When the contact started the vehicle, the front passenger side air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously with an occupant present. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on three separate occasions and serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags); however, the remedy was insufficient. After the most recent repair, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,700.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Aug 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 50 mph at night, the headlights did not illuminate. The contact stated that the check engine and air bag indicators illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The contact drove the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the evap and O2 sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. On another day, the ABS indicator illuminated and caused the brake lights not to illuminate. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

May 052011

Sonata

Ecs warning light along with check engine and ABS warning lights came on when turning key in ignition. This has happened twice since, with ESC and ABS warning lights coming on while driving.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Apr 272015

Sonata

In the mid of April, I received a extended warranty letter from Hyundai for my "air bag" light that has been on. It was for the air bag light due to resistance within the connector for the front seat belt buckle. On April 27, 2015 I scheduled my first appointment at savannah Hyundai. On invoice it stated: 135681 check and found history codes B1701 drivers seat buckle pretensioner resistance high B176 passenger seat buckle resistance clear codes no codes reset. I was told the problem was fixed. As I drove off the service lot, my air bag light went back on. On May 4, 2015, I went in for another diagnosis and was told that they needed my car to stay at the shop and they gave me a rental. They said they needed to send my seat off to be fixed. It was a few days that they had my car. On that invoice it stated: Check air bag system for codes B1701 and B1706 driver and passenger front seat belt buckle pretensioner resistance high found service bullentin 15be002 install tie strap on driver and passenger seat belt buckle pretensioner connectors.on June 22, 2015 I came in savannah Hyundai once again because my air bag light warning came back on. I was told that my warranty was already extended was no longer under warranty and I would have to pay out of pocket if I wanted to fix this problem with my car. Which I had the extended warranty and had no idea why they were fighting with me with this. Fix the safety issue! on invoice it was noted that the tsb for pretensioner connectors were already performed and that the vehicle needs passenger buckle pretensioner and the tsb does not mention any warranty covering the replacement, only the zip tie installation. I called corporate and on May 29, 2015, they ordered the passenger seat buckle pretensioner and supposedly they fixed the issue. Today is July, 15, 2015 and my air bag warning lamp is on once again. I am very disappointed.

- Guyton, GA, USA

Jun 102014

Sonata

The driver air bag light turned on and has not turned off. I know someone with the same car as me except it's a 2007 but with the same problem.

- Butler, PA, USA

May 132015

Sonata

I wish to make a complaint on the safety operation of this car. Since it was bought new from sansone auto mall the air bag light has come on 4 times and now a 5th time in may of 2015. The air bag light on the instrument cluster always points to the seat belt buckle on the drivers seat. Every time we take it to Hyundai they have no concern of the issue even though we complain. They say there is nothing they can do except replace the seat belt buckle assembly. They will not warranty anything. Also talked with Hyundai and they have no concern either on this safety issue. We fear the safety of not just the drive but the passengers should an accident occur and they air bags don't deploy or the seat belts work correctly. The front passenger seat cushion also became defective which had to be repaired as well. Hyundai and their dealership is charging us and average of $350 each time for this issue which we believe is theirs. Apparently as we see it they have no concern for the safety of this model car series. We have to take it again for the same problem prior to motor vehicle inspection in July of 2015.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Jun 012012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While operating the vehicle, the air bag light would illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the failure was caused by a faulty seat belt buckle. No further information was available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 072015

Sonata

I turned on ignition and, as usual, all dash lights came on then disappeared, as usual. However, the "passenger air bag off" light returned on and the warning chimes have been ringing ever since.if a passenger sits on the passenger seat then the light stays off. Jiggling of wires underneath the seat do not fix the problem.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Dec 052014

Sonata 6-cyl

• 1,500,000 miles
I was coming of sanford avenue just turned on 3rd street had head on collision head hit roof off car stomach hit steering wheel knees hit dash board was diagnosed with vertigo air bag did not deploy herd on radio car had recap on car because air bag did not deploy after car wreck.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light continuously illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt buckle pretensioners needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000. Updated 6/11/15 updated 6/18/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired on 4/17/2015 at mileage 74,985. Updated 7/16/2015

- Sacrmento, CA, USA

Nov 012008

Sonata

I purchased this vehicle used in 2008. Two days after I picked it up from the dealer (paramus, NJ), I was driving down the parkway and the airbag light came on and stayed on. I took it back to them on several occasions and it was off again/on again. I was told I had to pay to have the airbag replaced. I took it to another dealer and it was diagnosed and reset. Again the light came back on and stayed on. I wasn't paying to replace the airbag. I received a recall notice (miraculously the light went off by itself). I took it to another dealer in union NJ when I received the airbag recall notice, and was told everything was okay and it was cleaned up and the light stayed off. Now its 2015 and its been on again for the past several months. I am at wits end with this vehicle. The light gets fixed works for several months and then comes back on again for no reason. Can you please have this issue looked into. I see there are multiple complaints against this issue. I have an appointment again to have this looked at.

- Englewood , NJ, USA

Aug 102012

Sonata

I am writing to request your assistance with the following airbag issue I have been having with my Hyundai Sonata and also to have this issue documented in the event of something tragic occurring to my wife or children since they are usually passengers in my car. This is obviously a malfunction on Hyundai's part. You see, for the past several years, my airbag light has been randomly going on causing me stress and concern on whether or not the airbag will actually work if I get in an accident. As you can see from the following documentation, something is obviously wrong and I refuse to pay another penny. In fact, I am asking for Hyundai to refund the money I have already put out. Below are the chain of events: Passenger airbag light first went on 8/10/12. Dealership sent entire seat to California and was "repaired" by re-programming it. On 7/3/13, airbag light went on again for no reason and this time I had to pay over $300 for repair because it was past my warranty. On 12/2/14, airbag light went on for third time for no reason and I refuse to pay to fix it again, since it's evident by now there is no way I can affect this light by driving and it's a vehicle malfunction. I need your assistance to get this issue resolved. I have reached out to Hyundai and they sent a representative to test the passenger seat last month. However, the rep mentioned a class action suit going on right now regarding the weight of the passenger, but I don't believe this pertains to our problem, which was confirmed by the Hyundai rep after seeing our problem. Since then, my follow-up calls to Hyundai have gone unanswered. Please help before someone dies!

- Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA

Feb 272015

Sonata

I have been getting an airbag light on my dash. The problem was traced to the drivers' side seat belt. This is odd since I only have 67,000 on the car, and probably less than 10,000 on the car with a passenger.

- Raleigh, NC, USA