2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 142010

Sonata

Air bag light comes on every other year. I am having this issued for three time air bag light comes on every time and then they put new seat belt buckle it goes away first time it happened in 2010 it was under warranty, second time it happened in 2012, and third time it happened in 2014.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Mar 072014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt buckle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 168,000.

- Caster Valley , CA, USA

Sep 122012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the buckle assembly pre tensioner needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,897.

- Mareitta, GA, USA

Nov 262013

Sonata 6-cyl

Car was taken to Hyundai dealership for OCS right front passenger seat recall. A few hours later dealer called to advise that there was no problem with the OCS air bag. I was told the code associated with the light being on indicating "passenger air bag off" related to the seat belt tensioner not working, not the OCS. Since the seat belt is a safety issue, I asked the dealer to take care of it at no charge to me. The dealer (rick case Hyundai in davie, fl) refused to do so saying that it was not covered in the OCS recall and the car was out of warranty. I then called Hyundai customer service and requested that Hyundai repair the seat belt tensioner at no charge to me. They read me a prepared statement stating that this was not covered under the OCS recall and would not take care of it because the car was out of warranty. After I spoke to a case manager at Hyundai, they agreed to call the dealership and see if they could work something out with the dealership for the seat belt repair. Hyundai was supposed to call me back within a week to tell me what was worked out. They did not. When I called back a couple of weeks later, Hyundai again read me the prepared statement saying this problem was not covered under the recall. I reiterated that the seat belt tensioner was a safety issue and I expected them to repair it. They continued to refuse to take responsibility for the repair. I advised I was going to report this safety issue to NHTSA. Hyundai was unconcerned. As NHTSA should see, several Hyundai Sonata owners have reported this same seat belt problem to NHTSA. My passenger seat is rarely used, so this seems to be a Hyundai safety defect for which the dealers and Hyundai should be required to make a recall and repair at their expense.I am also concerned that the passenger seat was not removed and sent to Hyundai for analysis as noted in the OCS recall.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Nov 072013

Sonata 6-cyl

Air bag light has been on for six months. Got the recall notice about passenger occupant system which indicated that if the light stays on to bring the car to the dealership. I took the car to the dealership and was told that the system checked out okay. I told the service rep that the light was still on. He indicated that was a problem with the seat belt buckle. He also indicated that the air bag may or may not deploy in the case of an accident. This is a major safety issue. Hyundai should issue a recall on this apparent defect.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Nov 302011

Sonata 6-cyl

The dummy airbag light in my 2006 Sonata has been on for a few years. The last time I brought it in to service, in July 2012- I was told that my passenger seat may need to be sent out, but that I would also need 2 new seat belts. I was told the air bags wouldn't deploy if I was in an accident.the mechanic was able to turn the dummy light off but only for a day or two. This November 2013, the seat was sent out to ca under a recall notice I was sent by Hyundai, and I paid to have my seat belts replaced, but I feel the whole thing is related and should have been a recall. Everyone I have spoken to about it feels the same way. The seat belt replacement cost $350 per seat excluding tax. Hyundai has known of this problem (through my dealer) since July 2012 and the problem had been ongoing for months prior to me taking it in for servicing, not realizing it was a dangerous situation. I missed the 5 year 60K warranty probably by 10K miles or less. I would like to know how many other Sonata owners have had to replace their seat belts and whether or not we should be suing Hyundai to have them cover this "repair". I could get no statistics from Hyundai when I called them regarding how many people have complained about this problem. The explanation provided to me is that they are separate problems, not inter-related and that the seat belt issue is an electrical issue and the service center was given a code to diagnose the issue.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Oct 212013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the passenger front seat belt buckle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 88,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Henrietta, NY, USA

Oct 242013

Sonata 6-cyl

While driving on a busy street it felt like my gas pedal was not responding then without warning it suddenly lurched forward enough to screech my front tires. I do not have a floor mat on the driver's side. Thank god no one was in front of me, surely there would have been an accident. I have also had the air bag light on since the car was new. During Hyundai new car service one of the service men noticed and mentioned it, but did nothing to correct the problem and today I got a recall on the air bag system stating I missed the 1st recall. My front passenger seat belt light goes on and off sometimes it is on when someone is in the seat buckled up and sometimes it is on when no one is sitting in the seat. I am taking my car in to Hyundai for the recall I am going to mention the lurching and let them know about all these complaints! I believe they are ultimately responsible for these problems!!

- Reno, NV, USA

Dec 072012

Sonata 6-cyl

My air bag light stays on all the time. In a crash my air bag may not deploy, this is a safety issue. Looking into the computer I'm not the only one with this problem. This should be a recall matter.

- Burgettstown, PA, USA

Oct 222011

Sonata

A part on the driver's side seatbelt buckle has failed once per year for the last three years. The failure of this part causes the airbag light to go on, rendering the airbag ineffective in the event of a crash. We have taken the car in as soon as this happens, but are concerned about the frequency of the failures. We also don't understand why this repair was covered twice, but not the third time since this is clearly a problem with this same part and the time period in between part failures was almost identical.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Aug 252013

Sonata 6-cyl

I turned the car on and the dashboard lights indicated all affected parts listed above went on. Drove the car for 3 miles and shut it off for 2 hours. Turned the car back on and had the same problem. I've read many owners with the same issue, but haven't seen a resolution this problem. This is a very serious issues god forbid the air bags don't eject in a accident. What do I do??

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Nov 292011

Sonata 6-cyl

On November of 2011, the "airbag" light in my Sonata came on and stayed on. Upon investigation by the Hyundai dealership, I was told that it was a problem with my seat belt. I had it repaired at a cost of $325.79. At that time I made a formal complaint to you. NHTSA id number: 10436650 now I have the same problem again! my airbag light came on the week of 4/7/13 (odometer 112,660) and again I have been told it is the seat belt. Again it will cost upwards of $300. And this is just 19,250 miles since I had it repaired it seems to me that this is an indication of either a defective part or a defective design. I have been told that the airbag will not work when the airbag light is on so I see this as a critical defect that needs to be investigated by the NHTSA. If a vehicle's airbags shut down every 20,000 miles or so, in my opinion the vehicle is a danger to consumers. Judging from a cursory search on the internet, I see that there are many other Hyundai Sonatas with the same issue. Please investigate.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Apr 032013

Sonata

Passenger seat belt light is on dashboard. It doesn't matter if there is someone in the seat or not. Sun visor on driver doesn't stay up. Had it replaced due to not being able to stay up. Now the passenger side visor is doing the same thing. Visor shouldn't be having issues. As for seatblet light. Hopefully a recall will take care of this.

- Glendora, CA, USA

Dec 102012

Sonata 6-cyl

The airbag light remains on: Code B1706. The passenger seat belt buckle tensioner failed and now the airbags will not work. Dealer cost is $400 to diagnose and fix with no guarantee.

- Lynden, WA, USA

Apr 022012

Sonata 4-cyl

My airbag light has been on for approximately 8 months. I had it to the dealer and they said it was a loose connection. They "re-connected" and the light went off. Now it has been back on for about 2 months. Also I have a hard time connecting my driver seat belt, one time I had to drive without it at all since I could not get it to snap in at all. Also the passenger seat belt display light flashes even when there is no one sitting in the seat. I called and apparently I am not a part of the recall for the airbag. My sister has the same car, same year and has the same issues. I find this hard to believe that this is an isolated problem.

- Hinckley , OH, USA

Jun 232008

Sonata 4-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle, the dashboard "check airbag" light was constantly illuminated. Took vehicle to the dealer (23jul08) where they diagnosed code B1701 and replaced the front drivers seat belt buckle assembly. At 43,340 miles (03feb09) I needed the passenger seat belt buckle assembly (B1706 code) replaced. At 57,106 miles (06nov09) I needed the drivers seat belt buckle replaced (code not documented by dealer). Now (19dec12) the "check airbag" light is lit again (103,121) and the codes B1701 ad B1706 both show up. Most likely replace both driver and passenger seat belt buckle assembly. An unbelievable number of seat belt buckle replacements in the life of this vehicle. Since seat belt issues like this illuminate the "check airbag" indicator light, I have to believe this is a safety factor related problem.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Sep 272012

Sonata

The air bag light on dashboard stayed on while driving. The front passenger seat belt light blinked on and off. The only way to make it stop was to fasten the passenger side seat belt. I took the car to dealership and was told that the OCS (occupant classification system) sensor in front passenger seat had "burnt" itself out. Failure to replace sensor would cause airbags to fail. Did some investigating and found that a recall had been issued for this sensor back in 2008. The dealership informed me that my car was "not" part of the recall. My VIN number was not "on the list". same make, same model--not part of recall"??? the repair cost $1000 for a new seat. How many other owners of Hyundai vehicles are "not" part of recalls"

- Windsor Locks, CT, USA

Jun 132008

Sonata 6-cyl

June 2008, seatbelt light & airbag light come on intermittently for passenger seat. Code B1706, passenger buckle pretensioner. Part was replaced by Hyundai, under warranty. August 2012, mileage 45,000 airbag warning light on intermittently, then permanently. Code B1706 passenger buckle pretensioner, again. Contacted both corporate Hyundai and dealer and told no warranty on this item and no known problems with it. Seems that repeated failures of a component of the SRS is a major safety issue. Vehicle has low mileage and passenger seat is rarely used, yet buckle pretensioner has failed twice!! I have noticed repeated entries regarding this problem on the 2006 Sonata. If you are experiencing this issue be sure to file a complaint here, even if you have resolved the problem.

- Saint James, NY, USA

Jun 122012

Sonata 6-cyl

I just had to get the driver side seat belt buckle replaced because the check air bag light was on. I've seen many other reports similar to the one I'm reporting here. A year and a half ago I had to get the passenger seat belt buckle replaced for the same issue. I was told that without getting these replaced when I did the air bag would not deploy, which is a huge safety issue. Searching NHTSA found quite a few similar reports, and searching the internet found a ton more. This appears to be a defect impacting the safety of at least this car's make and model as the air bags would not deploy, and potentially other makes or models (I only checked my own). I urge the NHTSA to investigate the issue due to the frequency of complaints and the impact to the passengers' safety.

- Cary, NC, USA

Apr 042012

Sonata 6-cyl

Brought my vehicle to dealer due to 'air bag' warning light remaining on continuously. Dealer states that it is the passenger seat belt tensioner that needs to be replaced for approximately $350+. they did not have the part in stock. Came home and googled problem and found that this is a very common safety issue with this vehicle. I do not see any recall listed for this issue yet. It is a safety issue that is discovered quite often with this year, make, model car in that with this problem the air bags will not deploy. Is there any research going on now related to this problem and will a recall be issued in the near future?

- Holbrook, NY, USA