2.0

2006 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 142016

Sonata

My wife and I purchased the vehicle on 10/11/2016 at J.D. byrider of mansfield and noticed that there was a clicking type sound when starting vehicle. On 10/14/2016 while my wife was leaving work she went to turn the vehicle and it was very hard but managed to get home and woke me up, I then went out and viewed that the serpentine belt was very loose and that there was a pulley laying by the engine; jd byrider fixed the issue of pulley and belt; after we received the vehicle back we noticed that the clicking type noise was still there.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Oct 192016

Sonata

After a visit to my local dealership, I was informed that my ESC system - unit is in failure mode. Manufacturer informed of "defective problem" concerning their product. Consumer should not be responsible for costs related to replacement repair. $3000 > this is a serious safety hazard, in which Hyundai corporation should issue a "recall" of years 2006-2009, models that are in "failure mode" as per dealership today

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Jul 142016

Sonata

While driving, the damper pulley seperates and the power steering fails along with the water pump and the alternator. This damper as it is called is a device that drives all the belt powered devices on the engine. I asked the dealer if there was a recall on this and the reply was no. How can a power steering failure not be a recall? when you are turning and the power steering fails I would say the majority of drivers would not be able to steer the vehicle out of this situation. Look online and view all the places that list this problem. This is a big safety issue the vehicle steers very hard and is difficult to control.

- Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

May 042015

Sonata

Went to crank car put it in reverse battery light came home N had no steering for a minutes this has happened 3 times so far.

- Grover, NC, USA

Mar 032015

Sonata

Car seemed to loose its ability to turn for a few seconds twice on same day. Seatbelt light flashes then could not steer car. I was going around curve and also my 16 year old son was also.

- Kingston, TN, USA

Sep 222014

Sonata 6-cyl

I was driving my 2006 Hyundai Sonata yesterday and as I was driving through the rain, my steering wheel locked up on me. It happened one day last week when I was driving in the rain as well. My battery light started blinking, my steering wheel locked, my car started to squeal, and the seatbelt light started to blink. After I reached a dry portion of the road, my car went back to driving normally. I had my two year old in the car with me and this was very terrifying because I could not turn my steering wheel to the right. I typed in these same issues in a google search box to see if any other owners of a 06 Hyundai Sonata were having the same issue. Quite a few number of people and no one had any clear resolutions after taking their cars to the Hyundai dealership. I just need to know what is causing this and why so I can have it fixed immediately because this is very dangerous. I am now worried to drive my car in the rain but have no choice since it is my only source of transportation. This is something that should definitely be investigated since there are quite a number of cars experiencing these same issues.

- Port Wentworth, GA, USA

Sep 272013

Sonata

The ESC off light turned on by itself. When pushing the button for the ESC off, nothing happened. A few days later I noticed a minor stutter-step of the car's forward motion with a slight grinding noise, and the ESC off light was illuminated again. The ESC off light stayed illuminated. When I arrived at my destination, I shut the car off then turned it on again. The ESC light was no longer illuminated. August 27, 2014, I left my car at the dealership and proceeded to work, they "found damage to left-front wheel speed sensor and left-front tone wheel. They also stated both the speed sensor and left-front tone wheel need to be replaced before further diagnosis could be performed. August 30, 2014, I was traveling at approximately 40 M.P.H. when traffic ahead began slowing. I applied the brakes and the car didn't just stutter & grind, it was like one side of the vehicle wasn't braking at all and the other side was breaking hard. The car jerked side to side for a short distance then seemed to right itself. The ESC off light was now illuminated again. If I had been traveling any faster, or in heavier traffic, this certainly would have caused me to have an accident. I feel this is a design flaw, not an error on my part as the consumer, and believe this to be a life and death safety issue. My brakes have never been worked on and there's no logical reason for the speed sensor and left-front tone wheel to be damaged.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Jun 022014

Sonata

I have had this problem occur now 4-6 times. While exiting the highway (still going about 45-60mph) onto exit ramp with slight right turn of my wheel there has been sudden decrease in the ability to steer. Almost like it was locked or steering had gone out. It has only happened with R turn off an exit. No problems turning when stopped or going slower. Once the vehicle straightens it will unlock- stays like this for 1-3 sec. First time felt like I was going to hit the person beside me D/T inability to turn. I have spoken with the local dealership and they haven't heard of this problem but made appt to get this checked out.

- Gardner, KS, USA

Mar 232014

Sonata

This has happened to me twice, this being the second time. I was slowing down to get off of the highway on to a rounded turn exit when my steering wheel felt as though I lost power. It tightened up on me. When I came out of the turn and straightened the wheel out the steering returned to normal.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Mar 012014

Sonata 6-cyl

While exiting interstate on a cloverleaf at about 30mph, sudden decrease in ability to steer, as if power steering had gone out. Have made this same turn a couple of times since with same results as well as a left hand turn at about the same speed. Once the vehicle is straightening up the steering returns to normal. No problems making a turn from a stopped position or slower turn, such as in town turning into a parking lot. Happened when husband drove car once as well.

- Marshfield , MO, USA

Apr 172013

Sonata 6-cyl

Upper control arms failed & were replaced 9/27/2012. This required another dealer alignment. Front tires then wore out 6,200 miles later. Tires wore down to metal belt core; could have easily blown out. I had 3 previous dealer alignments and was told by dealer in April 2013 there is no more camber/caster adjustment possible, my car is "out of specs", that I need a $650 aftermarket camber adjustment kit. Dealer told me to rotate tires every 3,500 miles which is much sooner then the factory recommended 7,500 miles. I was told tires will lose 50% or more of tread life. My April 17, 2013 dealer alignment failed, could not be done. I had dealer alignments Sept 26, 2012 (with new upper control arms), Jan 22, 2010, July 29, 2010, July 29, 2009. I have good photos of the severe tire damage, steel belting clearly visible. I am original owner and have detailed repair records from the dealer.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jul 122013

Sonata 6-cyl

The transmission initially went out on my vehicle which was replaced under warranty. I went to pick up my vehicle from those repairs and as I drove home approx 3 miles I felt something was wrong with the vehicle's response, then the steering grabbed as I made a right turn and did not release almost causing me to strike a vehicle. The steering was "grabbing" or sticking turning left and right, I returned to the dealer, their inspection determined that the steering rack "let loose", the dealer put in 2 power steering pumps, and two steering racks and flushed the system multiple times. The third rack seemed to have resolved the issue however the dealer could not say how or why this happened or what caused this although I did not have any issues with the steering prior to dropping the vehicle off for the replacement transmission work. The dealer stated they had never seen this issue and could not give me any explanations to the cause.

- La Grange, IL, USA

Apr 122011

Sonata 6-cyl

I lost the ability to turn the steering wheel to the right, this has happened multiple time with other people driving. After exiting the highway the steering will "lock" and not turn to the right almost as if the power steering has failed, but I have had this checked and since it's intermittent, diagnoses is virtually impossible, the power steering pump and system was checked and everything came back fine. After a few seconds of fighting the wheel the car will suddenly snap back and all seems fine. I have read other people having the same exact problem. One technician said it sounded like a valve in the rack and pinion going out. I must state that this only happens when turning to the right and only after driving at highway speeds for more than 20 minutes. I believe this should be investigated to see if it's a flaw in the rack and pinion system itself. The estimated repair for this is replacement of the rack and pinion at a cost of over $1000.

- Davenport, FL, USA

May 122012

Sonata

On two occasions, while driving in the rain, the battery light turns on, the steering wheel locks and the car stalls. Once I stop and turn the car off and back on, it runs as normal. On three other occasions, the battery light will come on for a couple of minutes, steering wheel locks, but car still drives, then the seatbelt light flashes on for May 20 seconds, then all lights go off and the car drives back to normal. I have taken my car to the Hyundai dealership on two occasions and they are unable to "duplicate" the problem, so no fix can be performed.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Apr 142013

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving home from the grocery store, my ESC light came on. Had trouble steering the car and there was a squealing noise coming from the back end. I was informed by my mechanic that the problem is that the rear axle housing is cracked/rusted and that the wheel is crooked. The car is currently undriveable. I had read in the paper about rust causing problems with the rear suspension control arms and believe that I am experiencing the same problem. I contacted the Hyundai dealership where the car was purchased to see if this would be covered under the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty (car has approx. 80,000 miles on it), but was told that they weren't sure. I have an appointment scheduled for repair, but will not be able to have it done, unless it is covered.

- Springbrook Township, PA, USA

Sep 212012

Sonata 4-cyl

At a low speed I lost control of my 2006 Sonata. The rear upper control arm broke free from the K frame and the drivers side wheel shifted out about 3 inches. The stability control activated and steering became very difficult. When inspected by the local garage they found the K frame had disintegrated from rust. I did make Hyundai Consumer Affairs aware of the issue on October 3, 2012.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Apr 102012

Sonata 6-cyl

While turning corners the engine shuts down and unable to turn steering wheel. Restart car and it works again. Has happened numerous times. Airbag light has been on continuously. Brake lights replaced freq. Cruise control no longer works. ESC light comes on intermittently. Had to use shift lock release numerous times for 2 days at a time. I am unable to put the car into reverse or park and I have to use the shift lock release to move the gears. Heat and air conditioner stop working a few seconds at a time. Engine light comes on for a few days at a time. If I hit the brakes hard the ESC light will come on and do not go off for days. Cigarette lighters replaced and one still will not work. Head lights dim intermittently. I have brought back to dealership many times and have spent hundreds of dollars and time off work and problems return quickly.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Oct 262012

Sonata 4-cyl

This problem was discovered Oct 26, 2012. My son noted some loss of control after hitting a road bump. I inspected the car and noted that the rear diver-side wheel was at a weird angle. The car was moved to my local repair shop on Nov 1st. They informed me that there was subframe corrosion effecting the rear control arm and making the car unsafe to drive. He advised me to have my Hyundai dealership look at it. I called garvey Hyundai, of queensbury, NY, where I purchased this vehicle. I spoke to the service manager and arranged to have the vehicle towed from my shop to garvey. He informs me that there has not been any prior problems with subframe corrosion and this model year and no recalls. He tells me that it will cost between $1350 and $2400 to repair and although Hyundai is not responsible they offered me $500 toward the repair work. I feel that this should not be an issue with a vehicle that is only a 2006 and that the repair should be covered in full by Hyundai. The car has spent winters in a garage when not driven. I have had multi issues with this vehicle, including needing to have the engine replaced (while still under warranty) I see that there has been subframe corrosion issues with prior years.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Jul 112012

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the steering wheel became very difficult to steer while turning right. The contact stated that the failure occurred twice. The contact spoke with the dealer and was informed that water got onto the steering belt and caused the failure. The contact felt that there was more of an issue because they were unable to shift the vehicle out of drive and into park when they attempted to park. The failure and current mileages were 25,651... updated 08/15/12 the consumer stated the battery light illuminated as well. Updated 08/21/12

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Dec 012011

Sonata

While attempting to pull out of my drive way, I noticed a loud sound while turning my car. After taking it to my local mechanic, I was informed that my power steering was damaged. This is too soon for my vehicle to have power steering problems.

- Concord, CA, USA