3.7

2007 Hyundai Sonata lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Sonata:

2007 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Apr 212016

Sonata

The car had it's brake light switch replaced under recall in 2013. Today the switch went out again. The car has no brake lights, but all other lists work fine. I contacted the dealer and verified the recall repair and asked if the repair this time would be covered. It won't and the car is without brake lights till fixed

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 242015

Sonata

When I turn the vehicle / lights off, open the door and leave, the parking lights of this vehicle stay on. The car battery has died several times because of this problem.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Feb 022010

Sonata 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata 3.3 I have had issues with the cars lights shutting off for years. I have mentioned it when I brought the car in for other recalls and issues under warranty and it was ignored. After much reading I have found that many of these cars are having issues that people have posted about. This doesnt include the many like myself that have not gone to the internet and asked or complained. I can not get my lights in my car to shut off on auto or manually. It is in the electrical fuse system. I have to lay down on my floor of drivers side and reach up and pull out the electrial plug that goes into the box to get the lights off...this is unacceptable and Hyundai turns their cheek to this issue. I think it is a fire and electrical hazard. The part costs over $500 and then to get someone to put it in. It has been faulty for years and many other Hyundai have the same issue. Please research and make this a recall!!! it is totally unacceptable!! also my other lights in the car illuminate on and off as you drive, they arent always on. Its really terrible and also not to mention the faulty brakes in the rear left caliper, another thing overlooked by Hyundai.

- Killingworth, CT, USA

Dec 022013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the brake lights would not illuminate when the brakes were being applied. In addition, the ESC-off light was illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated that the brake lamp switch was defective. The contact noticed NHTSA campaign id number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic) and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Marrietta, GA, USA

Nov 222006

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that both headlights and the brake lights failed intermittently. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic) and contacted the manufacturer, who stated that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- West Henrietta, NY, USA

Nov 172013

Sonata 4-cyl

The ESC off dashboard warning light is on and the brake lights are not working correctly.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 312009

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated he had his vehicle repaired under a recall for NHTSA campaign number: 09V280000 (exterior lighting). After driving almost 32,000 miles, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the same repair was made. After driving 244 miles, the failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the dealer and the same repair was made. The manufacturer was notified but the contact was offered no assistance. The vehicle had been repaired. The failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 72,559.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Dec 032012

Sonata 6-cyl

My air bag light stays on all the time. Whenever I am driving alone, my passenger seatbelt light flashes not stop. This two things been going on for a while now. Also my lights stay on even after I switch my lights off, I have to turn them on and turn them back off until they shut off. A mechanic told me its the brake light switch causing the problem. I have had technicians look at these issues, and it will cost hundreds to repair. I believe Hyundai is missing out the point that the 2007 Sonata models have an air bag issue too.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 072011

Sonata

My brake lights intermittently stop working. I have had the recall done for the brake relay switch. However my brake lights are unreliable since the problem started in Aug of 2011. We have replaced the bulbs several times. My mechanic now is talking about replacing wiring and or wiring assemblies. There is still something wrong with the brake lights and Hyundai needs to figure it out. In all the cars I have owned I have never had such a dangerous and ongoing problem. The dealer ship says tough.

- Reno, NV, USA

Feb 052010

Sonata 4-cyl

I have noticed an unusual percentage of Hyundai Sonatas with the high visibility brakes lights that do not operate. I checked into having it repaired and the estimate was very expensive. I wondered if this was a manufacturing defect since access to the light is so difficult. I was curious if other complaints had been filed and if anything can be done.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 012007

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the headlights did not illuminate brightly and caused a decrease in visibility. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the headlights were adjusted. The repair did not remedy the failure. The contact was also informed that the vehicle was not included in either related recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 08E021000 (exterior lighting:headlights) or 09E012000 (exterior lighting). The contact also stated that the air bag light intermittently illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the air bag light trouble code was cleared. The contact was then informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags). The failure recurred and in addition, the contact stated that the anti-lock brake light intermittently illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure mileage was 5 and the current mileage was 48,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Humble, TX, USA

Mar 142010

Sonata

Every time the brake pedal is pressed the car seems to power down. The headlights dim, dash lights dim, fan slows, and inside car lights dim. This happens everytime it's pressed. The lights seem to dim more if you are driving at a faster pace and press harder on the brakes verse driving slowly and easing onto the brake pedal. The battery has been replaced and checked over several times for any sort of defect. Also the alternator has been replaced recently and checked over for any defects. These were replaced because they were thought to be the problem but the problem still occurs everyday everytime the brake pedal is pressed.

- Wild Rose, WI, USA

Nov 192009

Sonata

I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata, I have had trouble with darkness in front of the left side head light. I contacted Hyundai and they stated there isn't any problem. I referred to your campaign #08E021000. Hyundai stated my car was not involved. I explained that I felt it was a major safety issue but they refused to resolve the issue. My daughter has a 2007 Kia with the same problem and she is unable to get help with their problem also. I understand these cars use the same headlight configuration. Thank you.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Sep 172009

Sonata

The headlights on 2007 Sonata has gone out 4 times and has been changed by the dealer and this has become a problem also the rear lights it has become costly to me in a couple of ways missing work and also getting pulled over by the police unaware of the lights out which can lead to an accident and tickets and etc. Something needs to be done.

- Groves, TX, USA

Mar 282009

Sonata

Noticed lower brake lights were not working but the center brake light in the window works properly. Checked all fuses and they are fine. Replaced fuses anyways and still no resolution. Replaced brake light switch under dash by brake pedal and still did not correct problem. I think there is a relay that may be bad, but have received no explanation from several automotive experts. All of the brake light bulbs (4 of them) are fine and it would be surprising if all 4 went bad at the same time. All other lights operate properly including taillights, turn signals and reverse lights.

- Oakdale, CT, USA

May 092008

Sonata

The headlights have always been a problem as far as visibility is concerned. The low beams do not light up distance because of the way it is made. There is bar that cuts the light beam off at the top. When taken back to the dealer they simply adjusted the headlights which was worse because in the fog the lights were now aimed straight out decreasing visibility and making it dangerous.

- Marmora, 00, USA

Sep 072008

Sonata

I smelled smoke when commuting to work. I found a small hole was burnt through the fabric covering the shelf under the rear window. It was caused by the light bulb in the light in the rear window that goes on when you step on the brake. The light gets so hot that it burnt through. I haven't had it fixed yet.

- Melbourne, FL, USA