2007 Hyundai Sonata miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Sonata:

2007 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Nov 052007

Sonata

Hyundai has a problem with "sudden unexpected acceleration" I had my first problem with my 2005 elantra, and now again with my 2007 Sonata. The Hyundai dealership here in St. George Utah is not doing any thing about this, the Sonata was in motion when the car accelerated on its own, this has taken place more than once, the last time the car was stopped by a fence...what will it take for Hyundai to do something abut this?

- Saint George, UT, USA

Oct 152016

Sonata

Car horns are usually operated by small buttons on the steering wheel. My Hyundai Sonata horn is sounded by pushing on the large pad on the steering wheel. This requires a large force. My strong wife can¿T push hard enough to sound the horn. I regard this as a bad design.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Oct 012012

Sonata

I just filed a complaint about my 2006 and this is for my 2007 Hyundai visor. It is broke and a safety issue. I also read there was a recall for this visor issue in some states, but not all or mine in Illinois. Not sure how true this is, but in any case should be a recall for all affected vehicles.

- Orland Hills, IL, USA

Jun 092016

Sonata

3 of my four exterior door handles broke off in my hand while trying to open the doors. I bought the car in NJ. I searched to see if there was a recall after the second one broke and seeing many other Sonatas with missing door handles but there wasn't one. I read they are made of plastic. I also read of people being told it was from the cold. However I moved to Florida 2 yrs ago and 2 more handles have broken off in my hand since moving here. One in July of 2015 and one last week in June. Its been 85-90 degrees. So the cold weather is clearly not the cause. If im ever in an accident or anyone else and have to get my children out of the back seat. It would be an issue for anyone and extremely dangerous. There are hundrends if not thousands of complaints about this exact problem all over the internet. Something really needs to be done to fix this. Its not just the exterior door handle that has to be replaced its the whole assembly the door has to be taken apart and it is not cheap for all the parts needed to fix just one handle and the cost of paying a shop is not affordable for most people, and I cant drive around with children in the car and no door handles.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Sonata

Oil pours into my driveway, or wherever else when the car is parked. I keep putting oil in and it comes out.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 012007

Sonata

Numerous issues from almost day one with this car. 1) within less than a month after purchase of this vehicle, passenger airbag light was coming on even with someone weighing well over 100 lbs in seat. Dealership brushed it off as 'someone sitting in the seat incorrectly'. the light stayed on for so long, with the dealerships refusing to do anything, that we feel it eventually burned out. 2) engine light came on very early in ownership as well and dealerships refused to resolve. Had to have fuel system replaced at one point because car completely died while driving with plenty of fuel. 3) replace headlamps, brake lamps, and tag lamps on a regular basis. On at least a monthly basis we are replacing 1 or 2 lights. We've been pulled over numerous times because a light has failed. 4) driver door automatic lock no longer works. 5) airbag light on driver side came on around 2013 or 2014 and remains on. 6) passenger side visor doesn't stay up when not in use. Driver side visor is starting to do the same. 7) passenger seat belt light constantly flashes even when seat is empty.

- Cataula, GA, USA

May 112015

Sonata

Bounces up and down in the front

- Washington, DC, USA

May 152013

Sonata

The issue relates to defective sun visors in my 2007 Hyundai Sonata. Note: Hyundai issued a recall - service campaign # T74, to replace both driver & passenger visors, but excluded my state of New York! both my visors are broke and they knew they were defective sun visors but they wont pay the cost to replace them. How can this be allowed? hoping you can influence them to do the right thing and replace my defective sun visors at no cost to me. These defective visors are a driving hazard as the visors are unable to stay in the up position remaining in the down position reducing my visibility while driving.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

May 092015

Sonata

The passenger visor broke creating a visual hazard because it will not fold up to the ceiling. It remains in the down position. It just snappef while attempting to adjust it. There are recalls on other visors that have done the same thing. This happened to the drivers side visor 5 years ago and was covered inder warranty. I feel like this is a defect in design which causes the visor to snap.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

May 122010

Sonata

Paint is constantly chipping.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Oct 202013

Sonata

Electric switch for drivers seat adjustment continually failing to work. Drivers side sun visor continually failing to stay up blocking view.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was just driving to work and the ESC off light came on, the only way I have been able to get it to go off is to restart the car. One of the times I had trouble getting the car in to park but after playing around with the brake pedal it final allowed me to shift. It has been happening randomly, I had it check for error codes and nothing could be found.

- Parma, OH, USA

Oct 282010

Sonata

I was driving my 2007 Hyundai Sonata, and my husband was in the passenger seat. Without being touched, the passenger side sun visor dropped down into his field of vision. He tried to put it back up, but it would not stay in place and continued to fall down. I contacted my dealer and found out they have seen this happen many times with both the passenger side and driver side sun visors. This could be extremely dangerous, especially when the driver side visor breaks. Having it drop into the driver's field of vision while he is driving down the road could easily cause an accident. The dealer said that the driver side visor could fail at any time, but they would not replace it until such time that it did fail. My passenger side visor was replaced under warranty, but I still wanted to bring attention to this potentially dangerous problem with the visors in the Hyundai Sonata.

- Edinburgh, IN, USA

Nov 092009

Sonata

I have a complaint against zimbrick East - madison wi I have had several repair issues with my car, such as the engine was never mounted properly, which caused my engine to shift left and right everytime I turned the wheel, I bought my car used and it still is currently under warranty. There have been several other issues, for further questions please contact me by email thank you for your time.

- Poynette, WI, USA

Sep 182007

Sonata

I purchased my car on May 27, 2007, in Florida. As my mother and I were in the car one day she noticed the air bag light was on, even though she was sitting in the front seat. I took the car to a Hyundai dealership in September, in Florida, and told them about the problem. They found no problems. I was with my mother again after that and the light came on again. I took the car to a different Hyundai dealership in the beginning of November in Florida, and told them about the problem. They again found no problems & they told me that depending on how much my mother weighs the system may not register that an adult was sitting in the front seat. My mother weighs about 130lbs. In late November I was moving to Virginia. Before I left Florida, I took the car to the 1st Hyundai dealership and told them the problem again. And they too told me that my mother's weight was the problem. I was very annoyed, but I didn't really have the time to follow up on the situation, especially since I was in the middle of moving to a new state. I am now settled in Virginia and last week I received Hyundai's motor vehicle recall on the 2007 Hyundai Sonata vehicles because of the occupant classification system (OCS) in the vehicles. How funny, this was the same problem that I had in Florida. So I took the vehicle to the Hyundai dealership in Virginia and they told me that according to the paperwork that they received from Hyundai, they need the passenger with the problem to come to the dealership so that they could test the system. This is a little difficult for me seeing as how my mother lives in Florida. They told me if I wasn't satisfied then I could call the Hyundai customer assistance center. I did and they are telling me to wait until I have another passenger seated in the front seat and the light doesn't come on again. That is a dangerous situation. If we know there is a problem with my vehicle why would we wait until someone possibly getting hurt to fix the problem.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA