2007 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Sonata:

2007 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 242016

Sonata

The last week of October 2016, my Sonata''s air bag warning light came on and has stayed illuminated for the last two weeks. Simultaneously, the right passenger seat's seat belt warning light has stayed on even when no one is in the seat. Also, the "passenger seat air bag off" light has come on.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 112016

Sonata

The air bag warning light (remains on constantly) and passenger side seat belt warning lights remains on even with a passenger above the weight limit. The air bag warning light will not turn off and the passenger side seat belt light will not turn off even when the seat belt is hooked up. There is a recall for faulty sensors, recall notice, 08V161000, for 2006 - 2008 Hyundai Sonatas but my 2007 is not covered? I feel like my Sonata has many of the issues in past recalls but for some reason isn't included in them (outside lighting, ESC light periodically kicking on, brake sensor failing numerous times, continuous issues with rear brakes, etc.) I think Hyundai should expand this airbag recall as I hope we aren't being put in harms way with an unexpected airbag failure when we need it most.

- Garrettsville, OH, USA

Aug 152016

Sonata

The air bag warning light and passenger side seat belt warning lights come on when I start the car. The air bag warning light will not turn off and the passenger side seat belt light will not turn off unless the seat belt is hooked up. I understand that these may be issues associated with faulty sensors. This is particularly disconcerting because I've reviewed the issues on-line and it's possible the air bag system may not be operating properly. I've seen that other Hyundai owners have tried to deal with these same issues and gotten little or no satisfaction from their Hyundai dealership. There was an extended recall notice, 08V161000, associated with the passenger side air bag for 2006 - 2008 Hyundai Sonatas but my 2007 is not covered" is there a way to find out why that is"

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. While operating the vehicle with the front passenger seat occupied, the front passenger air bag sensor light illuminated, which indicated that the air bag system was turned off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag sensor was faulty. The sensor was replaced, but the failure recurred. The contact also indicated that the seat belts randomly activated while operating the vehicle. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 70 mph, the seat belt and air bag warning indicators illuminated and indicated that the passenger seat was occupied when it was not. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing, but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Jul 262015

Sonata

While driving alone the passenger seat belt light keeps blinking and the air bag light in the drivers console came on and wont turn off

- Margate, FL, USA

Feb 272015

Sonata 6-cyl

Re: investigation seat belt buckle electrical malfunction NHTSA action number: PE14023 NHTSA closed this investigation 12/1/14 on the condition that Hyundai would extend the warranty to 15 years and 250,000 miles for this repair. Per the letter attached to the case I contacted Hyundai today to get reimbursed for the expense related to this issue ($380.75). I spoke to two different reps at Hyundai and neither had any idea what I was talking about. So it's been three months since this case closed and Hyundai is not honoring the new extended warranty.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 122015

Sonata 4-cyl

Airbag light went on again. Took to dealer for second time and they confirmed there was a fault in the seat belt buckle that trips up the airbag system. Quote is $310 to fix on top of $130 they charged me to determine reason for air bag light.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Nov 152013

Sonata 4-cyl

The drivers seat belt will not stay engaged, I have to take my hand & keep hitting until it will stay engaged.

- Vass, NC, USA

Jan 072015

Sonata 4-cyl

Our 2007 Sonata air bag red light came on for no reason, just as hundreds of others have said while researching the problem on the internet. Probably will not attempt to get help from Hyundai at this point since so many others have been charged $400 plus for repairs that only last for a short time, and need to be done again. Always liked this car till this issue started. Because of Hyundai's disregard for the safety of those who own their vehicles, I will be selling this car, never buy from Hyundai again and will inform others of this problem so they can avoid the danger and frustration of dealing with Hyundai.

- Beatrice, NE, USA

Oct 152013

Sonata

The 2007 Hyundai Sonata gls 4 cylinder 2.4 L, at 39 225 miles, the airbag warning light stayed on. I took it to the circle Hyundai dealer in shrewsbury NJ to check it out. The mechanic looked at the car and I was informed that the seat belt pre tensioner needed to be replaced and that it was not covered under warranty. The cost to me out of pocket would be $ $450 I did not have the repair completed. I have read many, close to 100 complaints on just this same issue, on just this same vehicle model and make being reported on this NHTSA website. It is overdue for a recall of this problem on the 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The owners of this make and model are a risk of injury to their persons should they be involved in a car crash and the airbag not responding and protecting the occupants.. I have also read that other owners of this year, make and model have had many of the same mechanical problems and posted them here on the NHTSA website and have paid out of their pockets to repair their vehicles. Repairs such as rear disc brakes that are staying onto the rear rotors, caliper not releasing and wearing out the disc pads and rotors prematurely, also the driver and passenger sun visors that drop down and block your line of sight, and nearly cause an accident. Loyal owners of these Hyundai vehicles should be reimbursed for the repair costs to them to keep the cars safe. Action should be taken to start a recall of these many manufacturing defects that can harm or injury to the occupants of these vehicles.

- Aberdeen, NJ, USA

Nov 052014

Sonata

The air bag warning light in the instrument cluster came on and stayed on. All I did was start the car. When I took it to the garage to have it diagnosed the error that the garage got was "B1706 - passenger buckle pretensioner voltage high". the cost to repair is going to be approximately $400.

- Groton, MA, USA

Oct 242014

Sonata

While driving I noticed that my air bag light came on, I immediately went to the dealer. They said that my passenger seat belt is defected. They said the cost of fixing is approximately $500, and the initial fee was $110. I looked online and there has been alot of complaints about this same issue.

- Miami , FL, USA

Dec 192013

Sonata 4-cyl

Air bag light stayed on at all times, with and without passenger present. Dealer claimed it was not related to ongoing recall, but driver side seatbelt pretensioner, which was replaced for $267. A half year later, the light came back on and stayed on, intermittently. Dealer checked it out, but on that occasion the light stayed turned off. However, when I drove out of the dealer's lot it turned back on and has stayed on since. I have tried to ignore it, but the recent recalls make me very nervous.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Oct 152014

Sonata 6-cyl

Recently air bag light on the dash has been coming on. Since state inspection was around the corner had it inspected and the vehicle fail because of air bag light, code B1706, passenger buckle malfunction. Estimate of $400 to replace, that includes part and labor. I am forced to get this fixed for obvious safety issue but also my car will not pass state inspection with this light coming on. It's not often that someone sits in the front passenger seat so definitely not overused. After further online research I see this is a continuous problem people are reporting for this make and model. It would appear this should be part of a national recall since so many complaints about it but also because this kind of buckle malfunction does not seem to happen often with other vehicle types. First time I have experienced this with any make I have owned.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Sep 012014

Sonata

Air bag warning light came on. The codes were run and revealed seat belt pretensioners were the issue. Estimated repair via the dealer was $500. The air bag light had come on previously last year approximately 4/2013. The codes were the exact same, but dealer was able to clear codes from computer.

- East Windsor , NJ, USA

Sep 262014

Sonata 4-cyl

The air bag warning light stays on. Took car to a Hyundai dealership and they said it the passenger seat belt assembly. It will cost about $400 to replace.

- Stony Point, NY, USA

Sep 082010

Sonata 6-cyl

Air bag came on, took to the dealer they tolld me the driver seat belt assy needs to be replaced $500. There is too many complaints on this pos. Shoulb B recall. Im not going to fix it.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Jun 022014

Sonata 6-cyl

I received a letter from Hyundai that my car was under recall (issue with the passenger air bag being de-activated) & urged me to visit the dealer if OCS light was on. Hence I took it to the dealership based on this safety recall notice. They checked the system and the front passenger seat and said there was no problem and that my system was fine. Less than 1 month later the red airbag light appeared on my dash board intermittently for about a week before it came on and stayed on permanently. I returned to the dealer to have them run a system check and was informed that the issue was a sensor was triggered due to a faulty passenger seat belt assembly and needed to be replaced at the cost of approximately $400!!! I informed the dealer that the airbag light did not come on until after they supposedly worked on or checked the airbag system due to the recall in the 1st place. I was told that this had nothing to do with the recall issue and that I would have to pay at my expense because it was not covered by warranty. Because I did not have $400 just laying around to spend, the problem has not been fixed yet and now my vehicle has failed the safety inspection due to the airbag issue!!! if Hyundai has a manufacturing defect should it not be their responsibility to inspect it to see if the recall is applicable instead of charging the customer for it" secondly, if this investigation proves that Hyundai has installed defective safety equipment in these vehicles across the board, shouldn't every customer who had to pay out of pocket expense to have the seat belts replaced be fully reimbursed"

- Worcester, MA, USA

Aug 292014

Sonata 4-cyl

Dealer found codes B1706 and B1102 present. Dealer tech stated driver seat belt buckle needs replacing, with an estimated cost of $344.56. The SRS module is not allowing codes to be reset, needs replacing also, with an estimated cost of $1,004. I see NHTSA has just started investigating the B1706 code -- my understanding from reading the other complaints is that a short circuit is causing the error code, and replacing the seat belt assembly is not permanently fixing the problem for most owners. Most owners mention repeat bills of about $350, but a few of the complaints mention much higher repair estimates, over $1,000. I suspect these estimates include replacement of the SRS module, like my estimate did. NHTSA should consider whether there is also a rash of SRS module failures due to the same short circuit. My B1102 code, indicating a high-voltage error, could also be more common and could also be caused by the same short circuit.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA