2008 Hyundai Sonata accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 152011

Sonata 4-cyl

Beginning in October 2011 the driver's side sun visor began to "sag" and not stay in the up position. The condition has progressively gotten worse and now the visor is always in the fully extended down position which impairs visibility. Hyundai has issued a technical service bulletin (service campaign T97) that covers replacement of the visor. However, even though this condition started to appear when the vehicle was still under the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty, the local dealer indicates the repair will cost $157 because the current odometer is now over 60,000 miles. This is a safety hazard with 2008 Hyundai Sonatas as evidenced by the large volume of consumer complaints that appear on various websites. The responsible thing for Hyundai to do is replace these failing visors under warranty regardless of mileage because it's a serious issue of highway safety.

- Naples, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Sonata 6-cyl

The passenger side visor is broken and will not stay in upright position. The visor causes severe visibility issues because it will not flip up and is instead flipped down. This is a severe defect that needs to be addressed. The dealership refuses to fix it unless I am willing to pay for the replacement. The visor "broke" while not in use.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 212012

Sonata 4-cyl

Sun visor on drivers side is hanging down causing visibility problems.

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Jun 112012

Sonata

On 6/11/12 as I was driving, the driver side visor dropped suddenly as I was braking, my forehead slammed into the edge of the visor. My glasses protected my eyes, but my forehead is sore and tender. The visor no longer stays in the "up" position and "flops" down at an angle. This is dangerous, my visibility is constantly blocked. The visor wasn't in use, it just broke. I secured the driver's visor with tape. Today, June 12, 2012, I drove my son. He was in the passenger side when the visor on that side broke. It just dropped down and will no longer stay in the up position! it appears the plastic device becomes brittle and breaks, the clip that holds the visor fails, and/or arms weaken. I did some research and I see many others have the same problem. There has been a recall but not for my car. It appears many have written complaints to the NHTSA yet nothing has been done. I was hurt, a less experienced driver could have caused an accident, it is a shock when the visor drops, blocking your view. Hyundai is aware of the problem, it is a cheap, easy fix for them but for owners it's dangerous suddenly we can't see in traffic, in a cross walk, anytime while driving to have your visibility suddenly impaired is dangerous. And as in my case, this problem can cause physical harm. Please help fix this problem. Hyundai is a great product, it would be a shame if the right thing wasn't done.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

May 022012

Sonata 4-cyl

The driver's side visor broke and now hangs down, significantly obstructing driver's view.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

May 012012

Sonata

Driver's side and passenger side visors now droop into line of vision causing hazardous condition.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA