2008 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Aug 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

I am #84 having the seat belt buckle failure and the $300 repair so the air bag will work in case of a crash.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Feb 032014

Sonata 6-cyl

Rear driver side door handle found lying on the ground with plastic extension that activates door latch broken--had fallen inside door. Three weeks later, front passenger side door handle experienced identical failure. Purchased replacements from local Hyundai dealer in each case. They did not acknowledge what is obviously a systemic design failure. Obvious safety issue due to inability of emergency responders to open door from outside in case of occupant incapacitation.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Jul 202013

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving on the Ohio turnpike, the driver's sunvisor dropped down from the upright position and partially blocked my forward vision. Subsequently the passenger side also refused to stay in the upright position. When I consulted with the dealer I was informed that I was 4 months out of the warranty period. I then contacted Hyundai customer assistance and received a case number and was also told that the warranty did not apply. I was also told that I could have the parts replaced and apply to them for reimbursement but that there was no guarantee that I would be reimbursed for the parts or the replacement. I have since seen a Hyundai technical service bulletin for 2008my Hyundai Sonata sunvisor replacement (service campaign T97) dated November 2009 which states that it applies to the western, SC, and southern regions only. Since it's description states "on some 2008 Sonata vehicles, the sun visor may not stay in the stored (up) position. This bulletin provides the service procedure to replace the sun visor assemblies." Applicable production date range, March 6, 2007 to January 10, 2008. Since my vehicle was built January 02, 2008 this would apply if I lived in any of those states (which I do not). Since this a not only a defective assembly but a serious safety issue, I fail to see why this should be limited to only those regions and not to all areas. At the very least it should be handled as a customer satisfaction issue even past the warranty period.

- Camden Wyoming, DE, USA