2.3

2008 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 052015

Sonata

I was in a parking lot with the car turned off and used the keyless entry fob to open the trunk. The trunk flew up so quickly that the hydraulic hinge support, that props it open, broke off at the top. The ABS & ESC lights stay on when the car is running. Sometimes while I┐M driving those 2 warning lights will flash off, then back on a few seconds later. When that happens my brakes don┐T work correctly, and make a rubbing sound that I can feel through the brake pedal. The automotive instructor at the college I work at looked at the brakes and it's the calipers sticking. The dashboard SRS warning light stays on, and the passenger safety belt light flashes constantly when the car is running. It doesn┐T matter if there is someone in the passenger seat or not. The TPMS malfunction indicator is the most recent warning light to come on and stay on until the car is turned off. Seems like Hyundai produced nothing but lemons for quite a stretch and not much is being done to help the consumer┐

- Centralia, IL, USA

Feb 022016

Sonata

The ESC off does not turn off even after pressing the ESC switch. Both ESC and ESC off turns on after the ignition is switched on and stays for a few seconds. Post that the ESC light goes off. But after few minutes ESC off light turns on. This problem seems to be with most of the Hyundai Sonata

- Richfield, MN, USA

Jan 032016

Sonata

ESC off warning light comes on intermittently at start up and during driving of vehicle, stalls at traffic lights or stop signs and find that shutting off vehicle for a few seconds and restarting seems to clear the issue but the ESC lights comes back on within minutes. Happened 10 time in past 2 months, then twice over this past weekend, now the light will not go off and the ESC switch does not work.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Nov 072015

Sonata

ESC off warning light comes on intermittently at start up and during driving of vehicle where the engine is sluggish, stalls at traffic lights or stop signs and find that shutting off vehicle for a few seconds and restarting seems to clear the issue. Happen one time in past 2wks, then twice over this past weekend. Surprised to find all these claims on this issue and no recall notice.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Mar 112015

Sonata

Air bag light stays on all the time. ESC light comes on whale driving and some time it will go out. Turning on and off ESC switch will not turn it off. Would this be covered under recall? thanks jerry

- Lindsay, CA, USA

May 012015

Sonata

The ABS ESC off dash light is coming on while driving down the road, will not go off until car is turned off. Began doing this about once a week, now it is doing every day. Does not help to turn the button on/off.

- Helenwood, TN, USA

May 052015

Sonata

While driving the check engine light and ESC light go on simultaneously. When this occurs, the car goes into reduced power mode ("limp mode") and you are not able to drive above 15 or 20 mph. This is a very dangerous situation, especially when driving on the highway. This is a known issue with Hyundai in which they issued tsb #'s 09-fl-003-2 and 10-fl-010. The tsb's address a faulty throttle position sensor which is to be replaced with a new one with different settings than the original. One the part is changed, an update to the electronic control module is required. There are numerous accounts of this incident happening. How can a flaw of this magnitude not warrant a recall?

- Melville, NY, USA

Aug 112014

Sonata 6-cyl

ESC light on along with check engine....need push button and turn off engine a couple of time.

- Pasco, WA, USA

Nov 282008

Sonata

Ever since the purchase of my 2008 Hyundai Sonata I have had problems with the TPMS and ESC lights/system. Over the years if I would turn the car off then back on it seemed to reset the system and the lights would go out. I did have the TPMS system repaired under warranty years back and it seemed to lessen the problem however now 8/29/2014, the lights will not go off even after stopping and starting the car. I had the wheel sensors tested and they are all working. The repairs done when I first had the car took days and I remember they had to replace something behind my glove box which they said was a radio that read the signal from the wheel sensors. Seems like the same problem and I see others have the same issue with these lights. I have called the dealership (preston Hyundai in boardman, oh) and am waiting for a return call.

- Lisbon, OH, USA

Aug 062014

Pedal to the metal rusted out brake line close to $1,000 to repair

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Jul 012010

Sonata 6-cyl

"ESC off" warning light illuminates occasionally. Shutting off and restarting the car usually fixes it.

- Buena, NJ, USA

Feb 172013

Sonata 6-cyl

Since buying my vehicle in Feb 2013. I've had nothing but problems with it. Air bag light, tire pressure light and check engine light came on and car has broken down on me. Took care to get fixed from dealership within in my 30 days warranty. Robertsons Honda fixed the battery problem and the check engine light but not that other 2. they stated to me that they didn't have the correct equipment to fix it. Which is not my problem.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Apr 082014

Sonata 4-cyl

On 04/08/2014, I was driving with my family when the steering wheel locked; then I stepped on the brake pedal and the wheel became loose and I was able to regain control of my car. Once we got to our destination I parked the car. Later, when I got in the car to return home, my car's ignition switch was not turning and the steering got locked as well. On 04/09/2014, I towed my Sonata car to the dealer at momentum Hyundai: 2775 auto mall pkwy, fairfield, ca 94533 for service. I described the issues to the service agent and I asked him if my issue was a recall and he said "no". the dealer charged me $736.40 for labor and for these car parts: Body & switch ass [fp number: 81910-3K010] cylinder assy-str [fp number: 81920-3ka10] bolt-safety lock [fp number: 81919-31000] note: On 04/06/2014, the steering wheel and the ignition switch had locked; but I was able to pull the steering wheel left and right and the ignition switch finally turned and the car started. But on 04/08/2014, I couldnt solve the issue myself. This is scary, especially when I was driving and had my family with me. GM, and Toyota have recalled millions of cars because of the same issue; and I dont know what hyunday is waiting for to do the same. I hope Hyundai is not waiting on people to get severely hurt to raise a flag and announce a recall on their models. Hyundai should recall its models to prevent the loss of lives. If Hyundai does a recall of its models to solve the issue I have experienced, I would appreciate they refunded my money. Thanks.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Oct 212013

Sonata 6-cyl

Several times the ESC light has come on and I noticed a lot of drivers have their brake lights going off. I don't know if this is happening but I made an appointment and the light will not stay on so I cancelled. It did stay on once for 3 days along with the check engine light but I got my tires changed and both lights went off. Since then the ESC light keeps coming on but after it sets or you park it and restart, the light resets and goes off.

- Lebanon, VA, USA

Jul 152010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the electronic stability light engaged and caused the vehicle speed to decrease. The contact stated that the failure only occurred when the weather temperatures were hot. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Brookland, AR, USA

Jun 122013

Sonata

I purchased a certified used Hyundai Sonata 2008 a few months ago and we decided to test it on a long drive. We changed the oil, filled up the tank and making sure that we have everything we need we took off to boston (MA) a 750 mi drive from columbus (oh) for a family reunion. On our way back the ESC off light came up causing an instant loss of acceleration and a dead gas pedal. I learned that if I turned off the car the light went away and I could drive for another 10-15 min until the light came up and we had to pool over again. We drove 10-15 miles at the time all the way home praying that I would not have to pool over in a construction area where there was no place to pool over and traffic would have to stop until I would restart my car. It was nerve wrecking because I had to stop very often in the middle of nowhere during the night without knowing if the next restart will work again. My wife and our 11 months old were in the car with me and I all I wanted was to get them home safe.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 222012

Sonata 6-cyl

ESC light illuminates intermittently. Sometimes the brake lights do not light. Noticed that there is a recall on previous years but not the 2008.

- New Castle , DE, USA

May 122010

Sonata 6-cyl

Brought in 2008, after 2 years ESC light keeps coming on sometimes dealership can detect other times the light is not on. They claim they find nothing.

- San Bruno, CA, USA

Oct 092012

Sonata 6-cyl

ESC light intermittently illuminates around 20 - 25 mph when brake pedal is pressed. Inspected the front brakes and no problems noted. Checked tire pressure due to TPMS indicator light illumined. Tried to reset sensor by disconnecting vehicle battery for 2 hours. Test drove the vehicle and ESC light still illuminating intermittently. Brought vehicle to dealer and they replaced brake sensor switch. Reviewed complaints for vehicle type and noted that previous recall for same switch on 2006 - 2007 model year vehicle. Wife told that extended warranty does not cover this item.

- Milton, VT, USA

May 142012

Sonata 4-cyl

Last week we noticed that the "ESC off" light was on. Tonight on 5/24/2012 we noticed that the brake lights were not working. I had to just barely plug in the brake light switch wire for the brake lights to work again. This was a problem with earlier Sonatas the recall was NHTSA action number: PE09003. My 2008 exhibited the same problems with the ESC light and the brake lights.

- Tell City, IN, USA