2008 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Dec 052015

Sonata

I was in a parking lot with the car turned off and used the keyless entry fob to open the trunk. The trunk flew up so quickly that the hydraulic hinge support, that props it open, broke off at the top. The ABS & ESC lights stay on when the car is running. Sometimes while IżM driving those 2 warning lights will flash off, then back on a few seconds later. When that happens my brakes donżT work correctly, and make a rubbing sound that I can feel through the brake pedal. The automotive instructor at the college I work at looked at the brakes and it's the calipers sticking. The dashboard SRS warning light stays on, and the passenger safety belt light flashes constantly when the car is running. It doesnżT matter if there is someone in the passenger seat or not. The TPMS malfunction indicator is the most recent warning light to come on and stay on until the car is turned off. Seems like Hyundai produced nothing but lemons for quite a stretch and not much is being done to help the consumerż

- Centralia, IL, USA

Feb 222016

Sonata

I bought a used 2008 Hyundai Sonata with approx 50,000 miles on it in 2012. Since purchasing is all it has been was one problem after the other. I had to have the engine replaced this week (which is another story) and since my inspection was due I asked them to inspect the car also at a certified dealer. And again my car did not pass inspection due to the same issue as last year. Caliper seized and needs new brakes and rotors again. I had a mechanic do the work last time since it was approx $200 cheaper than the dealer and I guess plan on it again at $500. Im thinking it may be a good idea to get rid of this awful car prior to this happening again or anything else. Wouldn't recommend a Hyundai to my worst enemy. I am a grandparent and would hate for the calipers to seize while driving with my grandson, the safety of this vehicle is a concern

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 062015

Sonata

Iżve had the breaks grinding noise coming from the front breaks when driving and use braking. It seems that the brake assembly was coming loose and need to get it fixed with a workshop nearby

- Belmont, CA, USA

Nov 012010

Sonata

After driving 1/2 mile or so the ESC light would come on. After shutting off the engine it would always reset and go off but it would come back on after a mile or so of driving. Sometimes it stays off for a prol;onged period of a month or so then the condition starts up all over again. This had been going on for 6 years. Brakes have been checked/replaced as required. Something wrong with the sensor? this should have been recalled years ago as many people have complained about the same issue.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Aug 062014

Pedal to the metal rusted out brake line close to $1,000 to repair

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Jul 022014

Sonata 6-cyl

I was driving South on I25 in Colorado near denver. The car was on cruise control, going approximately 55 mph. I saw a bus a couple of hundred yards away. The bus was either stopped or going very slowly. I applied the brakes and my 2008 Sonata would not go out of cruise control. I tried canceling cruise control and braking and car remained in cruise control. At the last moment, I tried the emergency brake as I crashed into the back of the bus going about 55 mph. I nearly died. I couldn't breathe for 20 seconds. I have fractured ribs and fractured bones in my back. The car is totaled. It looks like a squashed accordion.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Jan 102011

Sonata 6-cyl

Rear driver size pads and rotors had to be replace when the car only had 14K miles. Rear pads and rotors have to be replaced every 5-6 months. The brakes were burning and smoking. Dealer says its normal wear and tear. Took car to another repair shop and was told this is not normal and brake pads and rotors should not have to be repaired every 5-6 months, the braking system is faulty and if not repaired it could cause the brakes to fail.

- Country Club Hills, IL, USA

Jan 092013

Sonata 6-cyl

Grinding noise on rear driver's side brakes--discovered missing bolt on caliper frame, brake pads badly worn. All other brake pads in great shape, showing little wear. Car is driven in rural area, with very little city driving. When I went to Hyundai to buy a new bolt the parts guy said "this happens all the time" I think there must be something wrong here. Also checked on line finding I'm not the only one having brake problems on the rear wheels.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

May 102013

Sonata 6-cyl

The front brake system failed.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Dec 222012

Sonata 4-cyl

The following is an email that I sent to the service department I recently went to for recurring brake/caliper issues on this vehicle. As you know I was in yesterday (buerkle Hyundai white bear lake, mn @ 8:48 am invoice 183543) with my 2008 Hyundai Sonata with left rear brake issues. It seemed like the left rear caliper may be sticking. As I explained when the car was dropped off yesterday (2/5/13), we had just replaced both rear brake pads and rotors and the car only had 29,975 miles when the brakes and rotors were replaced on 12/22/2012. I brought in the previous brake pads and rotor for your inspection from the rear drivers side of the vehicle. The side that is currently having issues. It clearly showed the brake pads were completely gone and the rotor was scraped and ruined. This was shown to the service advisor helping me, brian coyle. I have attached, just a few out of several, websites for your review to show this is a known problem that has received many consumer complaints. www.sonatabrakedefect.com/index.php/sonatadefect/sonatacomments.html www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2008/Hyundai/Sonata/hydraulic+brake as you can see, this issue, definitely, needs to be addressed by Hyundai as well the Hyundai certified service department locations. The consumer should not be responsible for repair and payment of a known manufacturing defect, one time, let alone over and over again for the same issue. Not to mention, brake issues like these and to this extent of needed repair at such low mileage. I really should not have been charged for a repair or for lubrication to brakes, etc, when the same thing was done to these brakes a few weeks ago.

- North Branch, Mn 55056, MN, USA

Sep 062012

Sonata 4-cyl

My rear brake calipers were frozen/ corroded into the pads. The rear brakes were inoperable. This could have effected the ability of the car to stop effectively. The dealer said they would not replace unless the caliper was leaking. It was corroded at only 39,000 miles and 3yrs after bought.

- Amherst, OH, USA

May 142012

Sonata 4-cyl

Last week we noticed that the "ESC off" light was on. Tonight on 5/24/2012 we noticed that the brake lights were not working. I had to just barely plug in the brake light switch wire for the brake lights to work again. This was a problem with earlier Sonatas the recall was NHTSA action number: PE09003. My 2008 exhibited the same problems with the ESC light and the brake lights.

- Tell City, IN, USA