2.2

2008 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jan 112016

Sonata

Car was part of the passenger airbag recall and seat was replaced years ago. Problem was never fully fixed as sensor still failed to recognize passengers at times. Now dash board air bag light is continuously illuminated. Also, passenger seat belt indicator constantly flashes with no passenger.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 302015

Sonata

Air bag light on dash will not go out. Passenger seatbelt air bag light also will not go out with or without someone in the seat. Both lights are still on after a warranty visit at the dealership. They cleared the codes and did the tensioner repair, but lights are still on. Several blogs with similar situations have come up with an internet search but even those people have spent the $ to fix the issue and the lights are still on for them too. Please fix!!!!!

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Dec 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

When my daughter buckled the right front passenger seatbelt she stated it felt funny. During that exact time the seatbelt light began flashing and the airbag light came on.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Jan 172015

Sonata 4-cyl

The front passenger seat belt buckle assembly failed, took to dealership and code of B1518 came up. Basically the seat belt buckle needs to be replaced and then when replaced the air bag light on the dashboard will go away. With the error in the seat belt buckle, this thus illuminates the air bag light on the console. This seems to be a known issue with this make, model and year and yet Hyundai is not doing anything about this and wants us to pay everything out of pocket.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Sep 172014

Sonata 6-cyl

1st air bag light came on and stayed on. Second seat belt light keeps on blinking.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

I am #84 having the seat belt buckle failure and the $300 repair so the air bag will work in case of a crash.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

May 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

Air bag warning light came on when driving and passanger seat belt light flashes when a passanger is present, even when the passanger seat belt is buckled. The dealer said it was due to a faulty sensor in the passager seat buckle and was not covered. I still have not fixed, but I must before next state inspection. I am reporting because I saw recent report of investigation into this matter.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Jul 272014

Sonata 6-cyl

Airbag indicator lite up and the passenger seat belt light began to flash.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Sep 222012

Sonata 4-cyl

Dashboard air bag light has come on and off intermittently since September 2012. At this time the air bag light is off. The passenger safety belt light remains permanently on since September 2012 as well. Called the dealer Hyundai of el paso and they said my car is no longer under warranty and is not included in the recall campaign. How can it be?

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 302012

Sonata

I purchased a used 2008 Hyundai Sonata from a Hyundai dealer there was no indicator lights on the said the care had been inspected. I had the car for 3 weeks then a air bag light was on. So I took to the dealer because I had bought a 2 year warranty on the car. They told me that I would need a new seat belt buckle and they would have to reprogram the computer. Them I was told it was not covered under my warranty and I would have to pay over 400 dollars to get it repaired. How is this legal to sell a vehicle that is knowing sell a vehicle which they know about?

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Mar 202012

Sonata 6-cyl

Airbag and front passenger light came and stayed on. On March 20, 2012 dealer stated recall took my car for a week then returned no lights. The problem came back again on August 14, 2012 and they refuse to do any further work because my 2nd owner warranty expired in April of 2012, the dealership won't even honor the parts/labor warranting their work for 1 year I was told they were supposed to do. This is bad for me because I chronically ill. I brought a extended warranty from them and after being told my all involved it would cover future airbag/seat problems they said we can't find it in the contract and are giving me the run around. I really to ill to deal with this. What can I do? who regulates dealerships when they are behaving badly.

- San Bruno, CA, USA

Jul 052012

Sonata 4-cyl

The other day, I found the SRS airbag warning light keeps on on the instrument cluster and then I found that the seat belt warning light in the front passenger's side is also on and the "passenger air bag off" indicator is turned off when there is no passenger or luggage on the seat. I went to the local dealer and it turned out to be that vehicle has no communication from occupant classification system (OCS) module under the front passenger's seat.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

May 012008

Sonata

The drivers seat belt release latch does not operate properly. In comparison to passenger seat belt latch there is a significant difference in smooth operation to release the latch. Any tension placed upon the strap causes the problem to amplify drastically. In case of a vehicle rollover and a driver being stopped while the vehicle comes to rest with the vehicle on it's roof, it would be very difficult to escape the vehicle due to the drivers weight pressure on the release latch.

- Aberdeen, NJ, USA