2009 Hyundai Sonata electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 162016

The power side window button is floppy it just stays down and you have to pull it back up manually its like the spring is broken. The HVAC motor blower doesn't always blow I have to mess with the knob to get the heat or ac to work.

- Enola, PA, USA

May 122016

Tamara recall. My seat won't move back or forward. Electrical switch.

- Mackinaw, IL, USA

Mar 092016

Bought car new, at 30,000 mile starter replaced [ could not turn key in ignition]. that was covered by warranty. At 63,000 miles igntion went [ again unable to turn key to start car ] and I was stranded with vehicle.--this time approx $650 I for repairs. I have heard /read there is a history fo this kind of problem. Hyundai did give me a $ toward next repair. With my age and being widowed I really would like to feel confident that this car is going to be safe for me. I just don't think with the amount of mileage that these problems should have existed. Are they using inferior parts ??

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Nov 112015

ESC light comes on intermittently common problem with Hyundai. Previous recalls and current recall on some models. I am filing a complaints with national safety so that a recall can be extended to more vehicles. Hyundai is unwilling to fix these issues without a recall. Want people to pay out of pocket for something that is a manufacturing defect.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012015

While driiving with the seat belt fastened....the seat belt light goes off and when the brake is doesnt always stop....or catch the light goes off whether the seat belt is fastened or not. Tlow beam head light on drivers side goes on and off at times...had checked and the reply was it might be an electrical issue.

- Jenkintown, PA, USA

Aug 032015

Hyundai Sonata 2009 red warning light for passenger seal belt stays lit even if no ones setting there or only a purse, or no one setting ther. So I have to put seal belt into lock even when no one setting there. So I have to fasten seat belt all the time. When driving car all the time have to keep it fastened. Also window electric switch on driver side most times doesn't function properly. Then deal sold me it a few months ago. I opened door cover to see if it was a switch problem & there was 2/12 inches of dried dirt in bottom of door panel. Dealer large one in san antonio, tx, at used lot say it is normal. I seem to think it might have been flooded in water he say no way it normal. Sure jokes on me now purchased as is dummy me, in limbo in tx. Car paint is starting to chip as well with deep open scratches weird every wash seems to make it worse looking.

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

Jan 052011

My driver side door lock button does not work. As the driver, I am unable to unlock or lock doors using this button. Instead I either have to get out of my seat to unlock the other doors. This is a personal safety hazard because I have no control over my door locks and forced to get out of my seat or vehicle to either lock or unlock doors when the car is in park.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

The ESC off light is always on.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Jun 172015

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 20 mph, the stability control warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was restarted and the warning light shut off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was not available.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Jun 122014

The front valve cover gasket leaked oil down to my alternator, causing it to malfunction and making my transmission shift awkwardly.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 072013

The button to open the gas cap does not work.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Apr 012015

!) check engine light has been on for almost a said it was a gas cap problem..bought new cap, not fixed..still on 2) filling car up with gas....very difficult to fill...knob keeps shutting off gas flow....once again shop has no good answer......

- Herkimer, NY, USA

Feb 172015

Sonata 4-cyl

After vehicle engine was running the starter motor engaged while the engine was running. The vehicle was idle parked the shift position lever was in the park position.the starter motor will engage on it's own in the park position and in the neutral position. The stater motor will also engage and crank the the vehicle engine in the drive or reverse positions this symptom developed later. I had a certified mechanic look at the vehicle and he said the ignition switch was defective and will have to be replaced. I check for recall information online and found no reference to the problem.

- Flint, MI, USA

Jan 052015

Sonata 4-cyl

The car was in the driveway warming up and caught fire it burned up the starter and starter assembly, the battery wire harness and the manifold. All of this has to be replaced before we can assess any other damages or run a diagnostic.

- Haltom City, TX, USA

Oct 222014

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact state that the vehicle hesitated to start and once it did, the instrument panel lights and the head lights failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ignition lock cylinder was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 112012

During the last couple of weeks of rain, we have had multiple occasions where our vehicle has lost power steering and our battery light goes on during low speed operation.. there was no deep puddles, just normal rain on streets. In some cases, total stall and others engine screeches and restarts. Without warning. Filed complaint with Hyundai America. Took to dealer. Was advised this was a known problem for 2007-2009 Hyundai Sonatas. And there was no known fix. Had vehicle checked. Advised all splash guards and shields in place. Could not be duplicated at dealership. One service rep at dealership advised his wife has same problem. All belts and pulleys and tension springs ok. We are very disappointed in the response we have received at Hyundai to a "known " safety problem. To be more specific, five(5) occasions have occurred. Told to come back when it rains.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 312014

Sonata 4-cyl

Problem was with the switch on my car. When I turned the car on it made a strange sound for a couple of months, it would only happen once or twice a month. When it became more frequent and began to make the sound a couple of times when I put the car in park, I took my Hyundai back to the car dealer. They claimed it was the starter. My husband and his mechanic said it sounded more like the switch. They wanted to charge almost $500 dollars to fix the problem. My husband bought the switch for about $15 dollars and his mechanic put it on. I have not had any problems since. I do not know if any one else had this problem.

- Simpson, NC, USA

Aug 172013

Sonata 4-cyl

Taking my car for the first oil change since I bought it and the car stalled while in neutral waiting for an oil change. Restarted without a problem. It has also tried to stall while driving several times since, more frequent than before. It's also stalled in stop and go traffic. My check light only comes on for a split second when the car tries to die, but after that, it's just fine. Brought it to 3 dealerships that told me that nothing was wrong with my car. I bought an obdii scanner and found trouble codes P0335 and P0108. Took it to the dealer again and they still couldn't find a code. My car has almost stalled while trying to cross a busy intersection and no one wants to even try to help me.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The incident is similar to NHTSA id# 10508953 which stated there was a grinding noise after starting the car. I experienced the same malfunction but sometimes the grinding doesn't stop until the engine is turned off. It doesn't happen everytime the engine is started but I also had other problems with the ignition switch. A few times the engine started while the key was just turned to the "on" position. After hearing of all the ignition switch problems with GM vehicles, I thought this should be handled by Hyundai as a recall because it is definitely an unsafe situation. I hope the NHTSA will take action on this matter. The vehicle owners should not have to pay for defectively manufactured components no matter how old the vehicle.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jan 192012

Sonata 4-cyl

Please be advised that I purchased said vehicle new and at around 35000 miles I started to notice that when I slowed down and came to a stop the transmission would jerk on the down shift, which is not normal. On 01-19-2012 I brought my car to the dealer where I purchased from. I was informed that this problem is common and that once my computer is reset it should go away, and there is a service bulletin on that issue. On 03-19-2012 I was having the same issue so the transmission was replaced with factory reconditioned transmission. Now with 74000 mile the car is back for the 5 th time for the same transmission problem. The dealer has my car and I have not heard from the dealer or Hyundai corporation for two weeks. I believe that Hyundai corporation knew the problem existed and neglected to fix the problem other wise a new car with 35000 miles should not have this problem and the mechanics don't know how to remedy the faulty transmission. I am very disappointed with Hyundai and there handling of this problem. I believe the damage has been done, and new software is not going to fix this problem, the bands in the transmission are worn now, the damage has been done. This is just putting a band aid on a serious problem and a manufacturing defect. One does not anticipate any serious problems with a brand new car with only 35000 miles. What good is a 10 year 100.000 mile warranty when you start having these problem at 35000 miles. I have done some research on-line and there are others who have the same problem with same car, I am not the only one.this is a disgrace Hyundai corporation I purchased said vehicle from atlantic Hyundai Inc. Located at 193-205 sunrise highway, West islip NY 11795. I have also contacted Hyundai corporation several times but to no avail.

- Deer Park, NY, USA