2009 Hyundai Sonata electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 272016

Sonata

Car started as usual and I was driving on a city street getting ready to get on the highway. All of a sudden the car would only go about 20 mph and reach 1000 RPM. It died shortly thereafter on the highway frontage road. All of the lights for ABS, brakes, check engine etc. Came on but the emergency flashers would not work so I had to keep pumping the brakes so nobody would run into the back end of my car. It would not restart so I had to have it towed to the dealer. Dealer stated valve cover gasket had leaked oil onto the alternator and ruined it. That in turn ruined the battery. Car was repaired for $1400 including the tow and a rental car. After looking at Hyundai recalls, I noticed the one for the 2009 vera cruz (NHTSA# 14V415000) in which 61,122 units were recalled for this same problem. In researching the affected valve cover gasket, I found the same one was used on my 3.3L engine that was listed as defective on the 3.8L vera cruz engine. If that part was defective on that vehicle, why was the scope of this recall not extended to cover all possible vehicles that could be affected? I would like the cost of repairs refunded to me since Hyundai obviously knew this part was defective but didn't issue a recall to cover all affected vehicles.

- Plano, TX, USA

Oct 082016

Sonata

On 10/08/2009 my 209 Hyundai Sonata went into an unintended acceleration. As soon as I put the car into drive it began to accelerate. The brakes did not work and I was able to shift into neutral. I was on a narrow dirt road with little limited options as to where to steer the vehicle. I missed a boulder, garage, and tree before hitting the side of a house. The ambulance was called and I was transported to the local emergency room. I had a concussion, fractured knee along with a number of bruises and abrasions. The emts told me how lucky if was since the air bags did not deploy.. an internet search, including your website, notes these problems going back several years. Toyota had the same problem and did a recall. My injuries will exceed the limit of my insurance and I will have to purchase a car. I know how lucky I was to walk away. I am sure others had more serious injuries and higher expenses. What does it take to force Hyundai to do the right thing?

- Topsham, ME, USA

Jun 162016

Sonata

The power side window button is floppy it just stays down and you have to pull it back up manually its like the spring is broken. The HVAC motor blower doesn't always blow I have to mess with the knob to get the heat or ac to work.

- Enola, PA, USA

May 122016

Sonata

Tamara recall. My seat won't move back or forward. Electrical switch.

- Mackinaw, IL, USA

Mar 092016

Sonata

Bought car new, at 30,000 mile starter replaced [ could not turn key in ignition]. that was covered by warranty. At 63,000 miles igntion went [ again unable to turn key to start car ] and I was stranded with vehicle.--this time approx $650 I for repairs. I have heard /read there is a history fo this kind of problem. Hyundai did give me a $200.credit toward next repair. With my age and being widowed I really would like to feel confident that this car is going to be safe for me. I just don't think with the amount of mileage that these problems should have existed. Are they using inferior parts ??

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Nov 112015

Sonata

ESC light comes on intermittently common problem with Hyundai. Previous recalls and current recall on some models. I am filing a complaints with national safety so that a recall can be extended to more vehicles. Hyundai is unwilling to fix these issues without a recall. Want people to pay out of pocket for something that is a manufacturing defect.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012015

Sonata

While driiving with the seat belt fastened....the seat belt light goes off and when the brake is applied...it doesnt always stop....or catch the light goes off whether the seat belt is fastened or not. Tlow beam head light on drivers side goes on and off at times...had checked and the reply was it might be an electrical issue.

- Jenkintown, PA, USA

Aug 032015

Sonata

Hyundai Sonata 2009 red warning light for passenger seal belt stays lit even if no ones setting there or only a purse, or no one setting ther. So I have to put seal belt into lock even when no one setting there. So I have to fasten seat belt all the time. When driving car all the time have to keep it fastened. Also window electric switch on driver side most times doesn't function properly. Then deal sold me it a few months ago. I opened door cover to see if it was a switch problem & there was 2/12 inches of dried dirt in bottom of door panel. Dealer large one in san antonio, tx, at used lot say it is normal. I seem to think it might have been flooded in water he say no way it normal. Sure jokes on me now purchased as is dummy me, in limbo in tx. Car paint is starting to chip as well with deep open scratches weird every wash seems to make it worse looking.

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

Jan 052011

Sonata

My driver side door lock button does not work. As the driver, I am unable to unlock or lock doors using this button. Instead I either have to get out of my seat to unlock the other doors. This is a personal safety hazard because I have no control over my door locks and forced to get out of my seat or vehicle to either lock or unlock doors when the car is in park.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

Sonata

The ESC off light is always on.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Jun 172015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 20 mph, the stability control warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was restarted and the warning light shut off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was not available.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Jun 122014

Sonata

The front valve cover gasket leaked oil down to my alternator, causing it to malfunction and making my transmission shift awkwardly.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 072013

Sonata

The button to open the gas cap does not work.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Apr 012015

Sonata

!) check engine light has been on for almost a year..shop said it was a gas cap problem..bought new cap, not fixed..still on 2) filling car up with gas....very difficult to fill...knob keeps shutting off gas flow....once again shop has no good answer......

- Herkimer, NY, USA

Feb 172015

Sonata 4-cyl

After vehicle engine was running the starter motor engaged while the engine was running. The vehicle was idle parked the shift position lever was in the park position.the starter motor will engage on it's own in the park position and in the neutral position. The stater motor will also engage and crank the the vehicle engine in the drive or reverse positions this symptom developed later. I had a certified mechanic look at the vehicle and he said the ignition switch was defective and will have to be replaced. I check for recall information online and found no reference to the problem.

- Flint, MI, USA

Jan 052015

Sonata 4-cyl

The car was in the driveway warming up and caught fire it burned up the starter and starter assembly, the battery wire harness and the manifold. All of this has to be replaced before we can assess any other damages or run a diagnostic.

- Haltom City, TX, USA

Oct 222014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact state that the vehicle hesitated to start and once it did, the instrument panel lights and the head lights failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ignition lock cylinder was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 112012

Sonata

During the last couple of weeks of rain, we have had multiple occasions where our vehicle has lost power steering and our battery light goes on during low speed operation.. there was no deep puddles, just normal rain on streets. In some cases, total stall and others engine screeches and restarts. Without warning. Filed complaint with Hyundai America. Took to dealer. Was advised this was a known problem for 2007-2009 Hyundai Sonatas. And there was no known fix. Had vehicle checked. Advised all splash guards and shields in place. Could not be duplicated at dealership. One service rep at dealership advised his wife has same problem. All belts and pulleys and tension springs ok. We are very disappointed in the response we have received at Hyundai to a "known " safety problem. To be more specific, five(5) occasions have occurred. Told to come back when it rains.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 312014

Sonata 4-cyl

Problem was with the switch on my car. When I turned the car on it made a strange sound for a couple of months, it would only happen once or twice a month. When it became more frequent and began to make the sound a couple of times when I put the car in park, I took my Hyundai back to the car dealer. They claimed it was the starter. My husband and his mechanic said it sounded more like the switch. They wanted to charge almost $500 dollars to fix the problem. My husband bought the switch for about $15 dollars and his mechanic put it on. I have not had any problems since. I do not know if any one else had this problem.

- Simpson, NC, USA

Aug 172013

Sonata 4-cyl

Taking my car for the first oil change since I bought it and the car stalled while in neutral waiting for an oil change. Restarted without a problem. It has also tried to stall while driving several times since, more frequent than before. It's also stalled in stop and go traffic. My check light only comes on for a split second when the car tries to die, but after that, it's just fine. Brought it to 3 dealerships that told me that nothing was wrong with my car. I bought an obdii scanner and found trouble codes P0335 and P0108. Took it to the dealer again and they still couldn't find a code. My car has almost stalled while trying to cross a busy intersection and no one wants to even try to help me.

- Houston, TX, USA