2.4

2009 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Aug 202016

Sonata

My light keeps coming on and off on the ESC not sure why or what to do.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Aug 152016

Sonata

When running sometime the steering wheel will be hard to turn when turning left or right, I contacted Hyundai for this is part of the recall on all Hyundai Sonata built on December 2009. But Hyundai is telling me that it not cover by the recall on the steering wheel problem. What do I have to do to fixed this problem.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 072016

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the failure had gotten progressively worse and became a frequent failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. Updated 05/10/16 the consumer stated the steering eventually returned to normal. Updated 05/11/16.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Sep 242015

Sonata

When I went to start my car I could not start my car the key switch keeps locking and then the steering wheel will lock up when U are trying to get the key out and I was even pushing on the brake to get it to release the lock it took five minutes to finally to get the key to turn to start the car. I have had it one day where I could not turn the car off and the key was stuck in it and the dealer ship could not even get the car to shut off or get the key to turn it was also stuck in it. I'm worried about being somewhere where I can't start the car or the key stuck in it and it's locked up all together for good I've heard there been complaints about the same problem and if it's gonna be fixed or not

- Miami , OK, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata

The steering goes in and out of power steering at slow to medium speeds from Aug 2014 to today.

- O'fallon, IL, USA

Jan 132015

Sonata 4-cyl

Power steering failed totally on 1/12/15--manual hard steering worked. In September I took Sonata in for stop light recall and also had a 4 wheel alignment done. Got 5 minutes down the road when the ESC light came on which was supposed to be a problem in the recall. I took it right back and they said something probably didn't get reset after the alignment. Ever since the power steering was very tight and sometimes intermittent until the car was warmed up. Computer check showed nothing wrong. Worked well for about 4 weeks and then power steering totally disappeared on 1/12/15--car was towed to Hyundai dealer. Diagnosis: Coupler seized up--maybe corrosion or wear"?? I had a truly perfect car when I went for recall now I have a huge repair bill. I am the only driver of this garaged car with low mileage--something doesn't seem right with this whole scenario. Could the rot that is reported in a second recall of the rear be also happening in the front end"

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Sep 112012

Sonata

During the last couple of weeks of rain, we have had multiple occasions where our vehicle has lost power steering and our battery light goes on during low speed operation.. there was no deep puddles, just normal rain on streets. In some cases, total stall and others engine screeches and restarts. Without warning. Filed complaint with Hyundai America. Took to dealer. Was advised this was a known problem for 2007-2009 Hyundai Sonatas. And there was no known fix. Had vehicle checked. Advised all splash guards and shields in place. Could not be duplicated at dealership. One service rep at dealership advised his wife has same problem. All belts and pulleys and tension springs ok. We are very disappointed in the response we have received at Hyundai to a "known " safety problem. To be more specific, five(5) occasions have occurred. Told to come back when it rains.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 302014

Sonata 4-cyl

My steering and brakes suddenly locked up. I had my kids in the car and lucky that it happened right by my house. No traffic. Even the suspension was affected.I immediately got kids out of the car and contacted my insurance to tow the car.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 292014

Sonata 4-cyl

The ESC light has been going off intermittently in my vehicle for the past 2 weeks, causing the shifter to downshift instead of keep moving the car when I press the gas, and the gas pedal becomes unresponsive. This happened on the interstate (I-78) today, and I almost got into an accident in the middle lane. I researched the problem, and it seems there was a recall on previous Hyundai models, yet Hyundai has failed to address this issue in the 2009 Sonata. There needs to be a recall regarding this issue. It is very dangerous, and could be related to the crankshaft sensor or a number of things, but bottom line, it causes the car to become unresponsive while in motion, and the driver needs to pull over, shut off the car, and turn it on again for it to maybe work, maybe not. This is a horrible headache that needs to be addressed, and I am sure that I am not the only Sonata owner with this issue. Here is evidence: www.sonataforums.com/forum/Hyundai-Sonata-engine-technical-discussion/1906-ESC-off-light-comes-intermittantly.html so please get it done and issue a much needed recall for this major safety issue before someone gets hurt.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Nov 252013

Sonata 4-cyl

Driving car and pulled in parking space, put in reverse to turn around and steering column was totally disconnected. The steering wheel just went round and round and I had absolutely no control of the car. Had I not been in a parking lot it could have been a fetal crash in the 8 am work traffic. I find on the consumer report web site that this has happened to others as well. However my dealer charged me for all the repairs and a towing fee. I have no faith in this car anymore.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 032011

Sonata 6-cyl

In spite of following manufacturers guidelines for tire inflation and following proper rotation timetables and having the car aligned this car eats tires. I have replaced all four tires 5 different times in less than 100,000 miles. I purchase premium, name brand tires with a mileage rating of 60,000 miles. In 2011 I took my car in for alignment at a Hyundai dealership. They informed me that "all lower control arms, cam bolts and bushings seized due to rust; can't align properly. I had a platinum extended 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty through Hyundai. The dealership called to advise of the extended warranty. The adjuster came and inspected and "extended warranty denied coverage as rust was the cause, they will not pay for repairs." The dealership argued that this is the northeastern part of the us and we have snow and the roads are salted in the winter. Dealership felt this should have been covered and tried again but coverage denied. As the owner I called the about the extended warranty and was also denied. Because correct alignment is not possible due to rust issues there is a handling/stability problem in the vehicle caused from rusted alignment components. I have followed proper scheduled maintenance but due to the propensity of rusting this Hyundai Sonata has deteriorated worse than comparable automobiles therefore causing a safety concern and a resulting loss of value. It is interesting to note that this car is exposed to northern salted roads minimally. I leave the North the first of January and head South and return in early April and have done so for the past 3 winters.

- Erie, PA, USA