2.7

2010 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Sonata:

2010 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jun 102016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at various speeds, the check engine warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the motor seized due to lack of oil. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Feb 182016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the timing chain failed and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine). The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Sep 132015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 65 mph, engine light illuminated and the speed immediately decreased to approximately 30 mph. The contact pulled over to the shoulder and called the dealer's hotline for a tow truck. While the contact and his wife were seated in the vehicle waiting to hear from the dealer, the vehicle started smoking at the front end. The duo rushed out of the vehicle and called the fire department who immediately extinguished the fire. A fire report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot where the insurance company took possession of the vehicle. The vehicle was written off by the insurance company. Per the advise of the insurance company, the contact notified the manufacturer of the failure since the vehicle was under warranty. The manufacturer started an investigation. Three months later, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine). The manufacturer did not complete the investigation. The failure mileage was 34,795.

- Kemp, TX, USA

Nov 032015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 65 mph, there was an abnormal knocking noise coming from the engine compartment. The failure recurred randomly. The contact also stated that the gauges on the instrument panel became inoperable randomly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the oil measuring device failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Mar 062015

Sonata 4-cyl

Have seen the recall notice on Sonata 2011-12. I have a 2010, manufactured in Alabama. The motor went out in the car a few months ago while I was driving. It lost power and stopped. The car continues to sit in my driveway. I had the dealer inspect it before it went out because of a knocking noise. The dealer (mungenast Hyundai, 649 dunn rd., St. Louis, mo) reported it was a motor problem and the only way to fix it was to replace the motor. The warranty had already expired, and I did not have $5000 to replace the motor. The motor problems did not start with the 2011 models. I hope you can look into this, and hopefully I can get my vehicle repaired. Thank you.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jan 142015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 75 mph, an abnormal noise could be heard from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 74,000.

- Albuguerque, NM, USA

May 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

Delays in acceleration linked to a computer program that controls the transmission, shifting from 1st to 2nd gear automatic transmission, there may be a 2 to 3 second lag in acceleration due to the transmission control module programming or transmission.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 012013

Sonata

As I was driving to make a turn the car shut down without warning. It has happened two other times sine this first incident. Car shut down as I was going various speeds. The cranking of the ignition is also a problem. I first reported this to the dealer in 2011. It cranks as if it is about to die then it has eventually caught and turned on. This is an ongoing issue. Since it doesn't show a code or act up when I am in for service they do nothing for me.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 162013

Sonata

The dealer refused to perform warranty work when the check engine light came on unless I agreed to pay a fee of approximately $125 if the dealer decided that the work was not covered by the warranty.

- Far Rockaway, NY, USA

Feb 072012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the check engine warning lamp was illuminated and the vehicle had exhibited stalling failures. The transmission also failed to shift gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. However, the technician was unable to diagnose and duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 16,500.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 172013

Sonata 4-cyl

My 2010 Hyundai Sonata completely shut down on me 2-times in less than 5-minutes times while I was driving today. I was on my way to enter the expressway. The power steering and everything just shut down. My car just made a sudden stop. Thank god I had not entered the expressway and took the side streets home. I feel that this is a real safety hazard to myself, the passengers riding with me as well as other drivers, passengers and families on the road. My vehicle has 53,215 miles, there is no way this should be happening. If this is happening to my vehicle, I know it's occurring in other Sonata's and other Hyundai vehicles base on what I see in online entries on the 2010 Hyundai Sonata and Hyundai vehicles. Manufactures must be held accountable for the defected products place on the market. I know that I'm a small voice against a large corporation, but if you take the time to investigate I know that my claim will be validated. I hope and pray that something is done about this before we are dealing with injuries or fatalities. I am a frustrated and unhappy Hyundai Sonata owner, looking for Hyundai to put safety first!

- Berkeley, IL, USA

Oct 082013

Sonata

I went out to start my car and it wouldn't start. I had to call a tow truck after a jump wouldn't work. I bought the car a year and a half ago and when the driver tested the battery, it wasn't dead but it wasn't great. I replaced the battery ($95 at walmart) and the car started. For a day. The next day the car wouldn't start again, when we realized it was then the starter. I purchased and installed a new starter on the vehicle ($105 online) issue resolved. Pretty young of a car for the starter to go.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Sep 192013

Sonata 4-cyl

Came out to work parking lot. Car would not start. Battery was failing, not dead. Replaced battery [with duralast battery (autozone - 09/19/2013) - $115]; did not resolve issue. Starter was tested and had failed. Replaced the starter [with duralast starter (autozone - 09/20/2013) - $267.11]; resolved the issue.

- West Jordan, UT, USA