CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata miscellaneous problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Sep 212011

Sonata 4-cyl

I was driving on a busy los angeles freeway when the "check charging system" light came on and a chime began to sound. My car totally shut down and lost all power. I was stranded in the middle of a busy freeway in what was a life threatening situation. The battery indicator was at the half way mark, which is the norm for the car. I was towed to a dealer who told me that they could not find anything wrong with the car. I had to call Hyundai corporate to get Hyundai technicians to look at the car. They said that a team of technicians repaired the car and that it was fixed. Except that it happened to me again last week on a busy parkway. This is an extremely unsafe car that puts occupants in very dangerous circumstances. It is in for repairs again, but I will not trust that it is fixed. I am afraid to drive it.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Aug 012011

Sonata 6-cyl

The Sonata pulls to the left. I took it in and told dealer I thought it was car, not the road -- but told me it was fine. Took it in again because it pulls hard to left going straigt to ditch if you let go of steering wheel, they said they adjusted it 2 points and it was not pulling anymore. Left dealership and it still pulls hard to left.

- Chelsea, OK, USA

Sep 222011

Sonata 4-cyl

I drive the Hyundai Sonata hybrid. The first time the problem occurred at approx 9800 miles, I was driving 60 mph on a highway when the vehicle lost battery power and an alarm sounded, and then a signal indicating to "check charging system." I immediately took the vehicle to my Hyundai dealership where they were aware of the issue, but did not know how to fix it and suggested I just simply turn off and then restart my car. It happened two additional times, one while approaching a stop light, and another time while I was stopped at a stop light. The last time it happened, I could not get my vehicle to reset by restarting once. I had to shut the vehicle off, then attempted several times to restart. The 4th time I tried to start it, I was able to do so sucessfully. I did notice the last time it happened, the engine light remained on even after battery power was restored. I am taking it back to the dealership tomorrow and demanding a solution. This is just too dangerous to lose power in high-speed traffic, and the problem seems to be occuring at all speeds.

- Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Aug 162011

Sonata 4-cyl

The first incident occurred in a thunderstorm: "check charging system" warning lit up and alarm sounded. Car lost power. Had to pull off on the side of the highway. Restarted the car and it was fine. Called dealership and was told it was "water on the serpentine belt and not to worry about it." Second incident was approx. 1 week later when the "check engine" light came on along with the "check charging system" light and alarm and car lost power. I pulled over on the side of the highway. Turned car off and restarted. Third incident, a couple of days later, "check charging system" alarm. Same scenario. Took to dealership. They conducted a system download to onboard computer. Now it is a daily occurrence. Couldn't get out of the driveway today after restarting the car 4 times. Will be contacting dealership tomorrow.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 072011

Sonata

The sun visors are not long enough (vertically) to prevent the sun from hitting center of windshield area and blinding driver. I've had to stop several times to regain my control and my clear view. The car was purchase on 12/19/10 and at the time I noticed that the sun shield that they sold me at the dealership would hardly stay in place because of the vertical shortness of the sun visors but when the hour was changed to daylight savings time is when I really realized the severity of the problem at the time of the sunset. Even raising the driver's seat all the way up it is impossible to avoid being blinded by the sun; it's an accident waiting to happen. I have notified the consumer service department of Hyundai but have not received a reply. Thank you for your assistance.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 012011

Sonata

Car pulls to the left since brand new. Very noticeable when driving at a high speed for a length of time. Constant right pressure must be maintained on steering wheel to prevent car from moving to the left. At a slow speed on back roads the pull is not that noticeable. For some reason, when taking a right turn off a highway ramp, the left pull increases, which requires increased right pressure on the steering wheel. Have had car checked at dealer, alignment was checked, and told everything is fine. Researching the Hyundai forums, it appears my Sonata is not the only car experiencing this problem, and as of this date, Hyundai/Kia have no fix, or even acknowledge their is a problem.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Nov 302010

Sonata

The steering pulls to the left, & somtimes to the right. I have to struggle to keep the car from crossing the center line while it pulls to the left. Steering has wandered since car was new. Feels unsafe to me. I took car back to dealer at 949 miles. They did re=alignment car still pulls, took car back 3 more times to dealer for same steering pull, dealer acknowledges the sever pull, they installed a factory suggested camber kit, car still pulls & wanders. This car is unsafe & should have a recall.

- Durand, IL, USA

Feb 112011

Sonata

Vibration in steering, grinding noise in transaxe, low tire pressure (by dealer), refusal to perform 3,750 mile maintince secdule (dealer refused).

- Mcadoo, PA, USA

Oct 232010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact smelled an extremely strong toxic odor emitting from the interior of the vehicle. The odor did not subside at any time. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer three times. The technician attempted to correct the failure by placing coffee grounds in the trunk, on the front and rear passenger seats as well as the drivers seat but to no avail. The dealer offered to trade the vehicle for another however, the contact stated that the manufacturer did not adhere to the agreement. There was significant concern of a potential health and safety hazard. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 11.

- Delmar, MD, USA

Dec 182010

Sonata 4-cyl

Since purchasing vehicle last week it drifts to the left. Dealer did alignment but stills pulls to the left. I have contacted Hyundai and I am waiting for a response.

- Indio, CA, USA