CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 43)

Jun 012016

Sonata

Steering column problem. When turning the steering wheel left or right, it makes a knocking or clicking noise. It's been analyzed as a steering column shaft coupler, that was assembled at the factory incorrectly or a defective part. There's been no recall on this problem, but there's been dozens & dozens of complaints online about this problem. The local Hyundai dealer advised there's ben hundreds of complaints at the dealer about this problem. The repair for this problem, the dealer advises is $300 or more. My concern is is this vehicle safe to drive? can't understand why there's been no recall for this problem.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 092016

Sonata

Steering coupling problem which has seripus safty issue. I wonder why this problem had not been resolved by Hyundai and how many other faulty couplers had been found while performing the recall. The dealership asked me for 600$ to fix this issue!!. I do feel that the coupler should have been included with the recall

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 012016

Sonata

When wheels are straight ahead, either stationary or moving, turning the steering wheel in either direction causes a thump and a vibration felt in the steering wheel. The garage that the car was taken to said they knew of the problem with Hyundai's but couldn't/wouldn't fix it. The gentleman stated they told all Hyundai's owners to take their cars to dealers. The dealer obviously knew of the problem as with no hesitation quoted a price of $205 to repair. If it is a known problem, and obviously it's widespread, why isn't there a recall to fix it? the lady this particular car belongs to is in her eighties and is living on a fixed income.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Jan 032017

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000. The VIN was not available.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Oct 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the tires would not move when the steering wheel was turned. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel gromet needed to be replaced, but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Jan 032017

Sonata

For over a year, the steering wheel has clicked at the slightest movement, even on flat highway. It vibrates heavily and clicks loudly on uneven pavement, and feels loose when turning. I took it in for other recalls and was told it needed a steering coupler that would cost $338. I know that part is only about $5 and I just watched a youtube video where a guy replaced it in less than an hour. It looked so easy I'm tempted to try and do it myself. There are more complaints about this issue than any other of the many issues this car has. There should be a recall for this problem.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 172016

Sonata

Dealer was changing oil on car and told me there was an issue with steering coupler. They calmed it was can be dangerous if not fixed. I am expected to pay as there is no current recall for this. Many, many other owners are experiencing the exact same issue. Why is there not a safety recall?

- Alsip, IL, USA

Dec 282016

Sonata

Brought my 2011 Hyundai Sonata to jackson Firestone bryant automotive in jackson, NJ to service brakes. The owner/technician of the service center said he observed a click in the steering when he drove it into the service center garage. He investigated the issue and found the steering column shaft "coupler" was not fastened or tightened as necessary. He warned me (the owner) that it was unsafe to drive the car. He proceeded to fix the breaks and offered to repair the steering issue but suggested I bring it a Hyundai dealership. I brought the Sonata to freehold, NJ Hyundai dealership where they confirmed the problem with the steering. I had the steering fixed at freehold Hyundai and was charged $390.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 122016

Sonata

Any slight turning of my steering wheel results in a harsh clicking sound whether I go left or right. Also if there's a slight unevenness to the pavement, there's a very scary rattling sound coming from the steering shaft. I have seen lots of other complaints online, but heard the original recall does not affect my vehicle. This is a horrible sign and I should not have to pay to fix this issue. This issue occurs in motion stationary on any street or highway. It is all the time and getting progressively worse.

- Spencer, NC, USA

Dec 262016

Sonata

The steering wheel feels loose and when I try to turn the car acts as if your on ice or like I'm loosing control of steering the vehicle, I was advised by discount tire that the from suspension issue are causing my inner tires to wear and the dealership was only trying to sale me tires for $600 and did not mention any issues with the inner tire on that the tread was a little low. I have been driving on the highway and surface streets when the steering problems occur.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Nov 012016

Sonata

Like many other reported complaints on the 2011 Sonata, I have experienced loosening of the steering wheel, with the clicking sound when turning. Took to the dealer who charged me $125 to tell me what I already knew - the steering coupler was bad and needed to be replaced immediately. The service advisor indicated it was definitely a safety issue that should be fixed immediately. For $365. Clearly, there is a well established problem with these vehicles and a safety recall should be issued as soon as possible.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 152016

Sonata

Steering column makes clicking noise when wheel turns. Malloy service says this is common problem in this model. Plastic coupler is faulty. Cost to repair $350. Car has under 50K miles.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Nov 232016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the contact heard a very loud noise coming from a steering column or coupler without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Essex, MD, USA

Dec 282016

Sonata

The steering on my car is making noise. There is a clicking sound when I turn or when I go over a bump in the road or a pot hole. I took it to a mechanic and they told me the steering coupling probably needed to be replaced, to go to Hyundai that there is a recall. Hyundai told me it's only a service bulletin not a recall. Both seem to agree that it needs to be repaired or I could lose my ability to steer the car at any point while driving. It seems to be related to recall 10V426000 but I don't think my car was included in that recall.

- Dunwoody, GA, USA

Nov 012016

Sonata

Steering has excessive play and makes a clunking noise when steering left or right. There is also a loud clattering noise when driving over bumps.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 042016

Sonata

My Hyundai started with a clicking when I would hit any bumps but then started making more load noises when I would turn the wheel. Then all of the sudden it started rapidly shaking while I was driving down the highway at any speed above 50. It is a driving hazard and should be recalled. It's absolutely crazy that this car is allowed on the road like this. You have no control when it starts shaking. I took it in and they said they repaired it for over $300. Its been a few months and it is doing the exact thing but now they are saying they need to replace the entire steering rack for over $1180. There have been so many recalls on this car for steering, it should all be covered. What is it going to take for someone to take this seriously.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Dec 192016

Sonata

I was driving and all lights began flashing on dashboard, steering wheel jerked and I lost power steering, was able to pull off road into a parking lot, turned the car off and it would not start back up.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Dec 022015

Sonata

When I received my car from the dealership after having the engine replaced, I noticed a ticking noise when driving over bumps and turning my steering wheel. This noise is getting louder and the steering wheel almost feels loose! after doing some research, I found that a few hundred others had the same issue and had to have the steering coupling replaced! why isn't there a recall when the dealerships know this is a common issue with this car? I'm nervous driving it! I've been dealing with it for about a year, and today the noise got noticeably louder and the steering is a little looser. I took a video but I'm not sure I can upload it here.

- Independence, MO, USA

Dec 142016

Sonata

This car just run 57000 mails, the power steering got "click noise". Hyundai dealer ask $340 to fix it, said it is "steering coupler" problem, a piece of rubber part defective. I saw there bunch of complain about this, said more than 1800, we think Hyundai should recall this problem to fix their fault.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 172016

Sonata

There is a clicking and rattling going when turning (or when going over a bump or driving on any uneven road). There is also a slight pull from the steering wheel at certain degrees of its rotation, and the alignment is always off (even after having it realigned). This is definitely a potential safety issue. I was told by my personal mechanic and a mechanic at Hyundai that it originates with the steering coupler. I have done quite a bit of online research and everything that I have found shows this to be a widespread known issue with this model/year. The part shows to be no more than $5 but, to get the part replaced I have been quoted by Hyundai a price of almost $500. However, there has been no recall issued yet" curious, how many complaints does it takes for this to finally get fixed"

- Covina, CA, USA