Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012016

While driving on the long island expressway in queens NY, an extremely busy highway, the control alarm on my front right tire completely snapped off. This caused me to lose control of my car and go across 3 lanes on a major highway with cars traveling 70 mph past me. Luckily no cars were hit and luckily myself or nobody was killed. Whats more disturbing instead of the dealership doing it's job to make sure my car is completely functional, they let me leave the lot with an issue they clearly knew about and just didn't say anything to me. After all they provided a complimentary wheel alignment so they clearly were examining my wheels at the time. And up to this point the car had been driving fine, smooth, no issues. I just had an oil change about a month back and nothing was noted to me by the mechanic then. I spoke with the dealership a few months back and they told me there had been a recall on the rear control alarms, which I know are about the same parts as the front control alarms. My car wheel just snapped off and I almost died on a highway as a result of this car. And I have been reading consumer complaints that similar issues have happened and there were possible recalls on the front control alarms to the wheels. This incident occurred on 10/1/16. It has been 10 days and Hyundai corporate has not contacted me. They are trying to avoid being responsible for a clear safety and road hazard with my vehicle. In addition my engine ceased on fathers day 2014 and they repaired the engine. Then in April 2016 I had metal fragments in my engine and they performed a complimentary wheel alignment. 3 months later my control arm is snapping of my front passenger tire.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Aug 192016

The steering column is rattling and shaking when braking and or reaching a speed of 60. It is causing the balancing of tires worn, and the air bag light has come on and tire pressure light.

- Corona C, CA, USA

Apr 132016

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 45 mph, the contact lost control of the vehicle. As a result, the rear of the vehicle crashed into a guardrail. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear driver side wheel bolt fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. Twelve days prior to the incident, the vehicle had a tire rotation. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The failure mileage was 132,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Saylorsburg, PA, USA

Apr 212014

Steering column recall (campaign 97) was identified as performed by Hyundai on November 12, 2010. While having repairs done to 2011 Hyundai Sonata, the mechanic identified that the car had a recall which was characterized by the steering problems/shaking identified. Hyundai was contracted and they scheduled an appointment to have the car diagnosed stating their policy... "once a recall / always a recall." I really did not really like it when I was told that if the problem was not the steering column recall, I would be charged for the diagnosis. I really did have a problem when I was told that they would not tell me what the charges may be. Compounding this, the rims have corroded to the point where they are almost completely black. This has been contributed to be corrosion of some sort by three independent inspectors. When I asked Hyundai mfg. & ES Hyundai for repair/replacement under the corrosion warranty, I was told this is not covered under their corrosion warranty. My repeated requests to have a service manager/technician to look at the rims and help explain what the problem is have been repeatedly ignored. Why can't these people say what they mean and do what they say?

- Summerdale , AL, USA

Apr 102013

Sonata 4-cyl

When driving car the right side wheel sounds like it is rubbing I have brought it to the dealer several times and have been told that this model is known to make the sound they stated that they changed out parts and it will keep make that sound when going over a incline or pulling up a hill or into a parking area.

- Hineston, LA, USA

Apr 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Hyundai Sonata on Dec 15,2013 from a Hyundai dealer. In April I noticed that my vehicle was pulling to the right side. I took it to a different location and after several attempts of them correcting the issue they called me and told me they could not figure out what was wrong. I then took it to the Hyundai dealer and they replaced a sensor and told me it was done. Again my car will not stay in the lane. It pulls so much to the right and is very unsafe. I took it in again and they are telling me it is just the alignment. They even stated that someone else in my house hit something. I looked online and saw that there are numerous complaints of cars pulling to left or right. I was told there was a recall campaign 927 but they only did an alignment on December 23,2011 and nothing else was done but then it was closed, indicating that it had been fixed. They want me to pay for the alignment and told me my tires are bad because of how it drives. Hyundai is aware of the issues and gives me the run around.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 282014

I own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited 2.0T which came equipped with hankook optimo H431 tires, size 225/45R18V. At approximately 41000 miles (August 2014) I noticed a bulge/bubble on the sidewall of the right front tire. Upon visiting a local tire shop to determine how bad the problem was, the technician removed the tire and advised me that there were 5 separate bubbles in the tire and it was not safe to drive. I brought the car to the dealership & was told the issue was not covered under any warranty and I had to purchase a new tire for $275. Two days ago I was walking around the car and I've noticed a bubble on the sidewall of the left front tire now. I drive primarily on the highway and keep my tires properly inflated at all times. There were/are no abrasions, scuffs or cuts on the side of the tire at the sight of the bubbles. They have been located both in the inner & outer sidewalls.

- Dunellen, NJ, USA

Mar 242014

My vehicle hyndai Sonata 2011, crashed into a parked construction in a parking lot at the speeds of up to 30 mph. The crash damaged basically the whole front side of the driver side and damaged the front two wheels. The front windshield was damaged as well with cracks on the shield and it also knocked out the rearview mirrors. I was in the driver seat when the crash happened and my head crashed up against the steering wheel, which left a little soreness. What I was wondering is with such an impact and such damage, how did the airbags not go off". my head slammed pretty good up against the steering wheel and a little more impact I could've been severely hurt. So I just want to ask why did the airbags not work"

- Breckenridge, TX, USA

Oct 232013

Purchased 2011 Sonata gls new N July 2010. With 40,000 miles on the car, now it makes strange banging, metal on metal, something loose sound from front passenger side of the car when braking. This sound is much louder when making hard left turn, like getting out of a shopping center to busy road to take a left turn. Will take it to the dealership and see what they say. I wasn't expecting this kind of issue only after 3 years and around 40,000 miles.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 152013

My car was just serviced for excessive noise occurring when I would make turns as if the car could not grip the road. I brought the car to the deal as was told the alignment must be off, only to find that there was a recall that I was never told of. The dealer replaced the lower control arms on the car and a new alignment part their "TP3 recall" but when driving home the car did not make noises when making the turns on the on/off ramps but rather when driving straight and/or when changing lanes. Dealer due to being a Sunday and service department being closed as me to call them back. This will be the 3rd time I have had to bring the car in for the same issue with each time the steering column being loose and a natural pull to the driver side.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Aug 122013

Sonata 4-cyl

This vehicle is impossible to drive in a straight line. Vehicle is constantly pulling to the right or left and requires constant attention. It is almost as if steering wheel has not been centered. I thought that this problem is with my vehicle, but after driving my friends brand new Sonata I concluded that this is the Hyundai problem. Dealer is denying that there is anything wrong with the car; however problem still persists.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 152013

Sonata 4-cyl

My car comes with a TPMS system to monitor the air pressure in each tire. Intermittently the warning light indicating there is a problem with one of the tires comes on. A check with a pressure gauge of each tire always indicates a false alarm. Talking with other Sonata owners I have anecdotal evidence that I'm not the only one with this problem. When bringing the car back to the dealer they say they can't fix it because there's no issue when the car is at their garage. This can be a dangerous problem for a number of reasons - 1. the false alarm is distracting, at highway speeds this can cause the operator to think they should pull over in a dangerous environment to avoid having a bigger problem. 2. after it happens a couple of times the operator might ignore a real problem. Yet the manufacturer refuses to address the problem.

- Newtown, PA, USA

Feb 252013

I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in March of 2010 brand new. I have had problems with the tires had to be replaced after year two, and when they were being replaced they said that the air valve on the tire was corroded when I went to Hyundai to get the part replaced they said that it wasn't corroded it was broke off because there wan't a cap on it and it got wet. So, they said that I had to buy a new one, and they would send it up under the warranty and I would be refunded that did not happen. After that my push start would not start when I pushed it. I would have to push it about three times and then it would finally start. I took it to Hyundai, and had it replaced not under warranty any more is what they told me. So I paid the $287 for it. After I got it home and went into grab something came back out and it did it again. Took it back to gateway Hyundai in richmond to have it fixed and they said it needed a nother starter. I didn't have to pay for the part but I was going to have to pay for the labor. Nope didn't get it fixed. I would just start it three times instead. Then I had to replace the brakes last year 2012 because it wore only on one side, and now the engine blew a rod. They claimed that it was because of not having enough oil in it, but then told me I had a quart to much of oil. Now really does that make any sense? this is absolutely ridiculous. Then they told me I could trade it in for a new Hyundai but would have to put $5000 down on it which is convienantly the amount they quoted me to have my engine fixed because they said it wasn't under warranty because I hadn't kept all my receipts for oil changes for the past three years.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 282012

1) tire pressure monitoring system light indicates low tire pressure. 2) droning noise coming from rear tires. The tire pressure problem first occurred approximately 2-weeks after I purchased the car used from a local Hyundai dealer. The problem occurred a couple more times and was returned to the dealer multiple times, but the problem has not been resolved. When driven locally, the problem occurs about every 2-to-3 weeks (approximately 200 miles). When I drive on out-of-town trips, the trouble occurrence varies from about every 150 to 700 miles. I checked the tires with a tire gauge and it indicates the driver-side front tire (seems to be the only tire having the problem) has only 25 psi of pressure. I inflated the tire to 35 psi and continued my trip. The tire pressure light came on a couple more times during this particular trip. The vehicle now has four new tires, and the problem still occurs, however it has moved to the driver-side rear tire (this may be the rim that was originally on the driver-side front. The dealer has checked the tire and rim and has not found any problems. I had the issued checked during a recent trip by an independent shop and they did not find a problem with the tire or rim. They also had to put air in the tire and speculate the problem is with the TPMS since the tire is actually loosing air when it heats up. Please note nitrogen is used in the tires. My son noticed the droning noise on a particular out-of-town trip. This was his first time in the vehicle, and he noted the noise right away. The tires had plenty of tread and did not appear to have any other problems. The issue was fixed by replacing the original tires that were on the vehicle (I believe they were the original equipment tires).

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Nov 182011

Sonata 4-cyl

The car was equipped with Firestone tires and in 23,000 miles they had cupped. The dealer told me I had failed to keep the right amount of air in the tires and did not keep it aligned. I purchased a new set of tires and the same thing happened again. I went back to the place I purchased the tires from and they told me maybe the car is out of line and lined it up. Well since then the tires have only gotten worse. This is 2 sets of tires in less than 60,000 miles. The replacement tires cost me $600. I do not like being told it is my fault when I have the tires rotated every 5000 miles. I went on line to see if I was the only one and learned there were others who are having the same problem. Help us.

- Washington, NC, USA

Dec 172012

Sonata 4-cyl

The car is a year old. As the passenger was turning left traveling approx 25-30mph the car started to shake violently and then the wheel came off the front passenger side. The control arm assembly failed allowing the whole wheel/drive assembly to come off slamming the front right side of the car down, yanking the car toward oncoming traffic.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Sep 072011

At aprox 16,000 miles the original kuhmo tires became cupped on the inside of the tire and became increasingly loud over the next 12 months. At 30,000 miles the tires had to be replaced due to excessive tire noise. Tires still has another 25,000 mile life on them but could no longer be used. Vehicles alignment was check 4 times, tires rotated and balanced. Alignment shows negative 5.1 degrees caster on left front, with no way to adjust. Hyundai America wa notified and a case was opened but they refused to do anything or to acknowledge the problem.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Aug 212012

Sonata 4-cyl

This problem has not happened but can and probably happened to some other owner. There is no spare tire just an inflation kit which is useless if there is damage to the side wall or rim. I am told that I can call for help and be towed to a dealer if that happens. There are numerous places in this country that cell phone service is not available. In the event of this happening I could be stranded on a rural road, in the middle of the night with no way to get help. With a mountable spare I could get to a safe place. This situation is not safe for anyone that travels to unpopulated areas in this country.

- Peachtree City,, GA, USA

Feb 222012

Sonata 4-cyl

Three months ago my first tire pressure sensor broke. I was parked in an indoor parking garage and found my car with a flat driver side front tire. I put on the spare and drove to a tire center where they informed me the tire pressure sensor had broken. I had a rubber valve installed and then later that week brought the car to a dealer and had the tps replaced. Last week I was driving and my tire pressure alarm lit on my dashboard. I pulled into a service station and attempted to put air in the rear passenger side tire. As I started to place the air pump onto the valve he tip of the tps broke off in my hand, causing the entire tire to flatten instantly. Again, I had to put the spare on and drive to a repair shop and have a rubber valve put in. Today (one week later), a third tire pressure sensor failed, this time the drivers side rear tire. I was fortunate to have this one happen in my driveway instead of on the highway. This is extremely dangerous as the tires instantly flatten, and can cause a serious accident if it occurs on the highway.

- Kinnelon, NJ, USA

May 102011

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the steering wheel would feel loose and the front end of the vehicle would exhibit an abnormal clicking noise. In addition, there was an abnormal metal scraping sound coming from the rear of the vehicle in which the tires were wearing prematurely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times for the failures. The dealer replaced the steering clock spring and advised that the noise in the front and rear of the vehicle was normal because of the wheel design. The vehicle was not further repaired. The front and rear end continued to make noise while driving and the steering wheel still felt extremely loose. The failure mileage was 659 and the current mileage was 21,811.

- Tayler, TX, USA