2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 202016

Stalling engine and speed cruse control, if you put the speed control on 70mph, it shows your at 65 mph and trasmission; while on motion at 20mph and while accelerating from a stop at a steady increase in speed and it deceleartes by itself.

- Eagle Pass, TX, USA

Jul 222016

I was driving home from work on the highway, and approximately 40 minutes into the ride the car struggled to accelerate while I was driving on the highway at about 65-70mph without a warning light or any type of warning display on the dashboard. The car hesitated when I put my foot on the gas to pass another car, or if I slowed down in traffic, it struggled to accelerate above 20 - 40mph. When I reached my exit, and came to a stop light, the gas pedal was all the way to the floor just so I could get up enough speed to go across the light, as well as accelerate so the car in back on me could go as well. The engine would hesitate, and when it did finally reach the right speed it was still not a smooth ride. When I reached my destination, I turned the car off, and turned it back on about 2 hrs later. The car started (with a little hesitation in the engine), although it still struggled to accelerate past 20mph. It was also hesitating, and felt as though it would stall. I drove the car to my mechanic, about a 15 minute trip on local roads. There were a couple of uphill battles, where I could barely get the car up the hill. My mechanic checked to see if there were any codes from the computer, and the code came back as 'turbo under-boost'. the turbo charge is dead. I have a turbo charged engine. Therefore, since the turbo booster is dead, it basically leaves the engine without little power!

- Norristown, PA, USA

Apr 182016

On April 18, 2016, while pulling into a handicapped parking spot, I was almost parked when the engine started roaring like it was revved up. My car went over the parking barrier and up the handicapped pole and over on hood of the car in front of me. I have been with my insurance company 39 years and I have never had an accident. I am a very safe driver. I am a truthful and responsible person.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 052016

Pulled into a parking space with foot on brake, I had not put the car into 'park" yet and it accelerated and jumped the curb and crashed into a tree. Air bags did not deploy. The engine raced. A witness saw it/heard it happen and stayed until police arrived. She did provide her phone number for verification. The accident caused $8300. Damage. The repair shop would have totaled the car if the airbags deployed but they did not. Attached are pictures of the damage and the police report. This is the fourth Hyundai car we have purchased and not question the safety of their vehicles.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Dec 242015

On December 9, 2015 I was on route 9 driving South, the speed limit is 40 mph, I applied the brake, as a school bus was stopped in front of me to drop off a child, the accelerator was racing, I kept pushing on the brake and the car finally stopped. I was a few inches from the back of the bus. Fortunately no accident. Then on December 24, 2015, I was puling into a parking lot applying the brake and again the car accelerator was going so fast, I picked my foot up and slammed it on the brake and the car would not stop.the car sounded like it was going to take off, it was racing so fast. I put the gear into neutral and the car rolled another half a car length into a lane but fortunately no one was there. Again no accident but it scared the you know what out of me. I took the car to the dealer the following Monday and they hooked it up to the computer and road tested it and told me everything was fine and nothing was wrong. I started raising my voice and told him you are damn lucky I wasn't in an accident. But I am afraid to drive this car. It only has 30,000 miles on it.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Dec 192015

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was being parked, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked forward, revved, accelerated forward, and crashed over two cement parking blocks. The air bags did not deploy. The contact had to drive the vehicle around and repeatedly depressed the brake pedal in order for the vehicle to stop. The vehicle stopped and the ignition was turned to the off position, but the interior lights illuminated continuously. The contact turned the ignition back to the on position in order to call for roadside assistance. The brake pedal was positioned differently. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the failure was not duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 10,000. Updated 02/23/16

- Bedford, OH, USA

Jun 232015

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was at a stop, the rpms increased and the vehicle unintentionally surged forward. The contact had to apply force to the brake pedal and shifted the gears into park. The contact had to turn the vehicle off to reset the computer and prevent the unintended acceleration. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000. Updated 8/31/15

- Davie, FL, USA

Apr 282015

My car revved to between 4 and 6 thousand rpms when I was parking in my work parking garage. In the process I ended up hitting two SUVS and did over $5,500 in damage to my car. I took my car to our Hyundai service to have the engine looked at and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. On Friday, May 15 as I was driving home from work on rt 70 at the top of braddock mountain my car revved again for no reason. Luckily I wasn't in traffic when the rev happened. This rev has also happened when my husband was driving the car.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jan 192015

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 25 mph, the brakes failed to respond when depressed. As a result, the vehicle accelerated through a red light and avoided a crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,500. The VIN was not available.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Oct 192014

Sonata 4-cyl

2013 Hyundai Sonata. While in park, the vehicle begin to accelerate over the curb and into a grassy area. The consumer stated while his wife was attempting to park, with the vehicle still in gear, the engine suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated causing the vehicle to jump the curb.

- Franklinville, NJ, USA

Jun 182014

I bought new Hyundai Sonata hybrid limited in September 2013. Car accelerates in uncontrolled manner when cruise is on and set and car is driving up side on a road. Acceleration goes 2 to 10 miles (or more) above the preset speed and never comes back to preset speed unless cruise is disabled. Acceleration depends on the steepness of the road. Since June 2014, I have noticed it multiple times. Frequency is this happening is every time. Car also accelerates when cruise is on but not set and I take a U turn. Frequency of this event is random.

- Union City, CA, USA

Aug 072014

I was pulling up to a stop light and my car made a jerking motion, as it had did one day prior as well. I looked at my dash and the eps light, battery light, check engine light, and one more light came on. I tried to drive the car forward and it began to roll back. I turned the car off to try and restart it, but the break would not push down for me to turn it back on. The car was towed to a dealership where I showed two service technicians the photo of the dashboard that I took, and both said that my engine had cut off. They kept the car overnight and drove on it to try and recreate the problem, along with running multiple tests, and nothing showed up.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 252014

Sonata 4-cyl

When using cruise control for more than one hour, the cruise or lessen speed button stops working. This causes driver to either apply brakes to slow vehicle down, or turn off cruise control. The cruise control speed no longer works. I took vehicle to dealer, who will not test drive vehicle for greater than one hour to verify problem. They also refuse to replace switch. I indicated that I would pay to replace switch, and they again refused, indicating that they would be liable if that did not "fix" the issue--that they say does not exits.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 122012

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle would accelerate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,000 and the current mileage was 17,500.

- Collinsville, IL, USA

Mar 202014

2013 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to gas pedal and acceleration issues. The consumer stated when he test drove the vehicle, he noticed the gas pedal did not respond for approximately three seconds, after which time the vehicle lurched forward. It went from 1000 RPM down to approximately 500 RPM. The sales rep informed the consumer, the pedal was a new design.

- Brookeville, MD, USA

May 192014

Sonata 4-cyl

On May 19, 2014, around 9:20 am. I was coming home and driving into the garage when I put my right foot on the brake. The car accelerated like a rocket! I put my left and right foot on the brake screaming for the car to stop. The car didn't stop till the bumper and front right wheel hit the concrete steps going into the house. It hit the steps so hard that the car went sideways in the garage. The front bumper was dinged up, the right front tire flatten and the right front tie rod bent from the collision with the step. This is the not the first time the car has accelerated by its self. Back in January 2014 on a Sunday afternoon, my husband was driving the car on route 35; we were coming home from shopping. He put his foot on the brake when the car accelerated on its own. He told me that we need to get this car checked out and to call the shop as soon as possible. I took the car into the herrnstein dealership to be inspected. They checked the car out and said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. So two drivers had the same thing happened to them. The first time, thankful no cars were close to the vehicle at the time of the acceleration, so no accident that time. The second time the car could have gone through our house, if the concrete steps hadn't stopped the car. The car was towed into the herrnstein dealership on May 19, 2014. It took the tow truck driver over thirty minutes to get the car out of the garage. The service department stated the car checked out okay. I explained how the accident happen due to the fact the car accelerated and I had both feet on the brake all the way to the floor. They said they checked it several times and the car was fine.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jan 312013

Sonata 4-cyl

Have the 2013 Hyundai Sonata turbo and was told when I bought it that it would appear to drive differently. It races before it shifts to the next gear and at times it seems to pick up speed when I am not on the gas. Have called and asked to be told that the RPM system has to get as high as 4 before it shifts - that doesn't seem right and it makes the steering difficult at times. The acceleration is poor and I only have 11,000 miles on it but I'm ready to trade it in - not sure if a turbo is suppose to really drive this way and can't seem to get an answer from the dealer when I call. Their service hours are not good because they're open while I work. Does anyone else have this problem?

- Selden, NY, USA

Mar 162014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was in line at a fast food restaurant and as I approached the delivery window, I brake the car to 3 mph, preparing to stop behind the car in front. My foot was on the brake, but I felt the brake suddenly giving way, having a spongy feel as it was becoming inoperable. The car surged forward and hit the car in front of me. This was the second time this precise thing has happened. The earlier incident occurred in November, 2013, and, thankfully, each incident did not involve hitting a pedestrian. Fortunately, the rate of speed was very low, as well, so damage to vehicles was small. These incidents alarmed me for I couldn't help but think what the consequences could have been had I been at a railroad crossing, approaching a school bus discharging children, etc.. I took the car to rick case Hyundai in plantation, Florida, to have the car checked out and they said they found no problems. They also said there have been absolutely no recalls or other problems involving brakes or throttle malfunctions. So, nothing was actually settled as far as whatever this problem may be, or fixing it.

- Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Dec 152013

I was parking at a restaurant in an angled parking space near a concrete platform where dumpsters are kept. Half way into the space, while I was applying the brake, my car surged forward very fast and slammed into the concrete platform. I had the brake pedal to the floor but the car never stopped. I was wearing my seat belt and was not injured but there was almost $7,000 worth of damage to my car. My car was repaired, but I am under contract of a lease with this car and have to continue to drive it. I am so afraid that this will happen again that I will never allow family or friends to ride in this car.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Nov 282012

Sonata 4-cyl

When braking, the car self-accelerates. There is no predicting when this will happen- sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. this has occurred approximately twenty times when I have started/stopped the car while parking and also once on a busy highway when I was unable to stop for a red light. When this happens, my foot is on the brake, but the car accelerates. The car has been to the ciocca Hyundai dealer in quakertown, pa three times. They've kept it as long as three days. They tried to duplicate the problem and I was told it did not occur. They've told me that they've never heard of a problem like this. They checked out the car and told me that nothing is wrong. The problem has been reported to Hyundai- regional case #6004610 and case #6342874. After filing there's nothing that can be done besides file the report with the regional representative. I've been fortunate that no one has been injured so far. My family members will not ride in the car with me. The car currently has 5,700 miles on it. It is a killer car- an accident waiting to happen.

- Springtown, PA, USA