2015 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:

2015 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Oct 202016

Sonata

My car is experiencing an intermittent problem with the electronic parking brake getting stuck. Sometimes when I shift out of park going into reverse or drive the activated electronic parking brake will fail to disengage like it should. When this happens I will find myself having to move the shifter back and fourth several times until it finally disengages. This occurrence will always be accompanied with an abrupt rough jerking motion coming from underneath the car.

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA

Apr 012015

Sonata

The red parking brake light on the dash does not always come on when the parking brake is engaged. At the dealer's service department ( Sept. 2016) it came on 3 out of 9 tries when they checked it. Currently it is not working. It has been an issue since car was new, but each time I brought it in, it would work.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Nov 042015

Sonata

The car has issues with the transmission shifting erratically. There is a very loud chattering coming from the engine. It is getting progressively worse. The panoramic sunroof is constantly creaking whenever driving on uneven pavement. The car has been in the shop for check engine issues since it was three months old all related to the intake manifold and vcm. And the vehicle stalls randomly and does not set off and check engine lights. Dealerships keep saying no issue found. Rotors have warped.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 152016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop causing the contact to crash into another vehicle. The driver frontal air bag deployed causing the contact to suffer burns on the shoulder. The contact also suffered injuries to the arms, neck, knee, and chest. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for further inspection. A police report was filed. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 152016

Sonata

I had an accident this morning in my 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE due to brake failure a vehicle stopped in front of me about one-and-A-half crawler and I applied my breaks because I saw when the vehicle stops when I apply my brakes they didn't work it went completely to the floor and had no breaks whatsoever and I slammed into the back of another vehicle at about 45 miles per hour all of the airbags deployed the steering wheel crack the front of my car is demolished I contacted Hyundai to try to find out whether they had a recall on break for the Sonatas and they said that there were no open recall on my car so I found it very strange that they said no open recall on my car but they never said that they didn't have open have any incidents with people with brake failure and I just wanted to make this publicly known that there is an issue with the brakes and I wish if there's anybody else out there that has had a similar problem they would come forward with this because I wasn't hurt very very badly but I got bumps and bruises but I could have died the same way if I was going at a high rate of speed and someone should have stopped I could have killed myself and someone else.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Apr 252016

Sonata

My 2015 Hyundai Sonata has been back and forth to the dealer. Every time I turn around the this car has a recall. I don't even know about the recall until a light pops up or I have a weird noise while driving. One time the car just felt weird while driving and I went to get it checked out and found out about the recalls. First seatbelt, then engine line needed replacing, then another part needed replacing, then another. After going there Monday for for the engine immobilizer, the brake hold light being I was told something was replaced, and oh a recall was handled. Then to come back Friday and after 4-5 hours be told the ABS has to be replaced, meaning I have to come back because it has to be ordered. Then, after leaving, now the tire pressure light is on, and there appears to be enough air in each tire!! so I don't know what is going on. Note to self, don't by a car before the year it comes out. Bought this 2015 in 2014. I really think the manufacturer needs to notify consumers of these recalls. I shouldn't find out about them only after bringing the car in for an issue or an oil change.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. Upon a state inspection, the technician stated that the brakes pulsated severely due to the rotor being warped. The rotors needed to be resurfaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 7,923. Updated 04/20/16

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

Feb 152016

Sonata

2015 Hyundai Sonata SE - engine vibrations/rattles/droning when in overdrive at low RPM acceleration. At times the engine has been unresponsive. Was told by Hyundai it was normal, but did not start until the car had around 600 miles - now at 7400 miles, still doing it and sounds horrid. Also, popping sound from steering/brakes when backing up and turning/using brakes at only 1200 miles. That was fixed by dealer, said I had overheated the brakes, which wasn't true, only drove on freeway and wasn't using the brakes.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Dec 122015

Sonata

In the snow, my Hyundai Sonata will drive fine until turning. During turning, even with minimal snow, my brakes lock up and my car slides slowly but at that point I am unable to do anything, usually making me hit a curb. This has happened twice in the last two weeks costing me $2200. I have had two cars before my Hyundai Sonata and haven't had issues with such a problem. The mechanic scratches his head in confusion as to how almost the exact same thing happen in such a small time frame. It is a major safety issue, I believe something with traction control or braking is wrong. Had I been a worse driver the damages could be worse.

- Lone Tree, CO, USA

Nov 072015

Sonata

On Saturday 11/7/15 I had to call aaa to towed to the dealer because the foot break got locked, the car was stationary.brand new car, 2015 Sonata, 2 months lease with me.

- Malden, MA, USA

Aug 172015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle accelerated. In addition, the vehicle would not move when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Canton, GA, USA

Jul 272015

Sonata

My concern is whether or not there is a manufacturing defect in my 2015 Hyundai Sonata limited manufactured in the United States (and potentially other models as well). My owner's manual clearly states (page 5-41) that the ABS warning light on the dash should illuminate for 3 seconds during start up as the ABS system run a self-test, then extinguish. The ABS light on my dashboard does not illuminate during startup as described in my owner's manual. Despite numerous diagnostic testing at certified Hyundai dealerships, the ABS system is functioning normally electrically and mechanically. I am making the following inquiries: 1. is the 2015 Hyundai Sonata limited designed to have the ABS warning light illuminate during startup (to confirm or deny what is published in the owner's manual)" 2. is this a manufacturing defect that requires a recall/replacement" 3. if this is not a manufacturing defect, can Hyundai motor America provide evidence (e.g., letter, updated manual publication of limited modes) that this is, in fact, normal operation of the vehicle. 4. does the vehicle have a normally operating ABS system" is the vehicle safe to drive" these concerns deal specifically with the sound operating conditions of the vehicle, which have been put into question after a routine vehicle inspection.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 272015

Sonata

I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Sonata limited w/ tech pkg. I have the car with me in quebec Canada for a job. To drive the vehicle in Canada, it must undergo an inspection according to Canadian standards.during vehicle startup, the ABS warning light on the dash must illuminate for 3 seconds and then go out to signify normal operation of the ABS. My ABS light did not do this, so it failed. A diagnostic at a Canadian Hyundai dealer came back with no error codes, the ABS module functioned normally, and an emergency stop road test activated the ABS system. I'd like to say I was able to convince them by opening my owner's manual, but to my surprise the owner's manual states that the ABS light should illuminate for 3 seconds and then extinguish. I immediately contacted the dealership that sold me the car and they were able to replicate the same condition (no ABS light at start up) on an identical 2015 Hyundai Sonata limited vehicle and stated there were no pending recalls. Thus, I do not think this is not a manufacturer defect (able to replicate on identical vehicle and have seen several online videos to support no ABS light on start up in limited edition Sonata), there is no malfunction in the ABS system (Canada diagnostic), and there is a discrepancy in the owner's manual that is model-specific. I am unable to reference ABS lighting conditions specific to the limited edition during the inspection process. Hyundai motor America, who had no other reference than the manual, suggested another inspection. I'm am reaching out to you in desperation to assist with information on this issue so I can satisfy my Canadian inspectors and the car can stay in Canada! please help!!

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 242015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at various speeds and attempting to engage the brakes, the vehicle failed to stop. Also, the vehicle experienced various electrical failures. The contact stated that the failures recurred multiples times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 4,500.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 162015

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my Hyundai Sonata on 1/05/2015 with only 6 miles from sheehy Hyundai of waldor in Maryland after 11 days of purchase on January 16 2015 at approximately 5:45 pm (rush hour in the DC metro area) my Sonata came to an abrupt stop without any warning signs on the highway in middle lane which is very dangerous and very scary and put me in a very vulnerable position. The engine shut off, I was unable to steer out the way of traffic and the brakes locked up and I was unable to do anything while in the middle of the rush hour traffic. I was a sitting duck waiting to get smashed by a pickup truck directly in the back of me.thank my god nothing happened. I was unable to use the sos and bluelink emergency features that is equipped came with 3 months free activation in this vehicle. I had to personally call via my cell phone and await police assistance which was 10 minutes still in the middle of the highway and after the assistance of the police we were only then able to push the vehicle to the shoulder of the highway. The bluelink customer service did very poorly in responding after all this emergency situation and to make it worse they did not provide a tow until 1.45 minutes after, then commence to justify this long period by stating its "Friday and the normal time is 2 hours or more". therefore, I am pleading to sheehy dealership and Hyundai corporation along with anyone else that can assist me to ensure that I have a new replacement vehicle. I am getting nowhere with sheehy dealership in reference to a new replacement vehicle. The vehicle is currently at sheehy service department and they are still not able to figure out the problem. Even though they might be able to fix the vehicle I will not feel safe driving the same vehicle after this very hazardous incident.

- La Plata, MD, USA